May 30, 2020, 09:46:54 AM

Author Topic: Hello there! Advise me please :)  (Read 3048 times)

Offline Lanfear

Hello there! Advise me please :)
« on: March 03, 2014, 05:30:07 PM »
Been reading fantasy for (quite) a long while now, and as with many others I guess, it started with Lord of the Rings so many years ago. After that, I more enjoyed reading The Wheel of Time series, Mistborn, and the series from Terry Brooks and Terry Goodkind (liked Brooks better). More recently I tried reading The Paladin of Souls (after getting through The Curse of Chalion with some effort), but thought better of it and stopped halfway or so. At the moment I am still reading part 8 of David Farland' s The Runelords (Chaosbound), but seeing on how fast I go through this one, I will be hookless again shortly.

So here is my question for all who have answers, what oh what should I go read next? I saw a suggestion for Steven Erikson - Malazen / The Moon Garden, but perhaps there are even better options for me out there :)

Thanks in advance

Offline shep5377

Re: Hello there! Advise me please :)
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 05:40:39 PM »
It really depends which of those you enjoyed most!

From the list you've given, I think you would like Patrick Rothfuss and The Kingkiller Chronicals, as he's a 'big name of fantasy' like the others you've read so far. Same goes fir Brent Weeks or Peter V Brett, to a lesser extent.

Malazan is a huge undertaking, but totally worth it. If you want something lighter, you cant go wrong with Discworld.

Having said all that, there are thousands of writers out there, have a look at some of the other recommendation threads!

Offline TravisGGAnderson

• Shadow Op
  • Sweet DM, voracious reader, and karaoke killer :)
    • View Profile
    • Just One More Game
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 05:50:22 PM »
As a big Brandon Sanderson and Patrick Rothfuss fan I'll suggest those two any chance I get. Before I'd recommend anything else I'd ask what you like most about the books you've read already. Are their specific types of characters your gravitate towards? Do you prefer quests and adventure to intrigue and politics? Would you like something darker or lighter? etc

I find it difficult to offer up picks when someone throws out a few novels they've read since I may not have read those ones myself :)
"Being a writer is a very peculiar sort of a job: it's always you versus a blank sheet of paper (or a blank screen) and quite often the blank piece of paper wins.”
-Neil Gaiman

http://tgganderson.wordpress.com/

Offline Lanfear

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 06:10:07 PM »
Which I like the most? Always hard to say as I liked them all, but I guess it will be The Wheel of Time, for the storyline and the scenary (fantasy based world, with magic and not too much to do with our own world, even though I do miss elves and stuff a bit there). And as I do love The Runelords as well, you do have a point stating the quests / adventure instead of intrigue and politics.
I don't mind long undertakings, as the series mentioned before are already quite long. I think I even prefer the longer series, as when I like book 1, I have more books to look forward to!
Moreover, the style of the of the writer I guess is important as well. English is not my first language, and with some writers I do have troubles really getting into their writing, but that is probably also just something personal.

As for the characters .. well mostly the good guys win in the books I read, but I always liked the peep into the minds of the bad guys so to say. And hey since it's just fantasy, they can win from time from time if you ask me :)

Last, I already looked a bit in other threads, but as you guys already said, it is hard to go for books in specific when you don't know exactly on what basis they are recommended. So I decided to register and see how the response would be for me. Thanks again!

Offline magisensei

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 06:20:44 PM »
Here are some other series you might want to check out. 

Elizabeth Moon - Deed of Pakensarrion - if you like heroes and their journey to become one - this is a good one to read. 

Lois McMaster Bujold's Sharing Knife series is an interesting look at fantasy. 

Mercedes Lackey and the world of Valdemar is a huge series with many trilogies all based in her Valdemar world. 

Offline Lanfear

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 06:49:25 PM »
 :) thank you allready ordered some today, to see whether they suit me

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2014, 09:58:05 PM »
If you like the Erikson sort of thing try Glen Cook's Black Company books.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline TravisGGAnderson

• Shadow Op
  • Sweet DM, voracious reader, and karaoke killer :)
    • View Profile
    • Just One More Game
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 06:09:06 AM »
Looking through my collection I seem to have a ton of fantasy that revolves around intrigue and politics (methinks there's a pattern there). Off hand I'd say pick up The Palace Job by Patrick Weekes as it's a fun heist novel in a fantasy world. Better yet, wait for my review of the novel to show up on the site and THEN go and pick it up :P
"Being a writer is a very peculiar sort of a job: it's always you versus a blank sheet of paper (or a blank screen) and quite often the blank piece of paper wins.”
-Neil Gaiman

http://tgganderson.wordpress.com/

Offline andreasn

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2014, 04:44:11 PM »
I too recommend Patrick Rothfuss, I would describe him as classic high fantasy done in a very modern style.

Offline Nighteyes

• DON'T send me Leopard Erotica!
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2014, 06:14:04 PM »
Robin Hobb's saga! Start with Assassin's Apprentice.  You will be completely hooked I promise! About a bastard of the Royal Family and the intrigues he has to endure just to stay alive and the sacrifices he makes to save the realm from the intrigues of his Uncle.
The Real Powers That Be