December 08, 2019, 10:27:13 AM

Author Topic: Having to reread a series  (Read 3202 times)

Offline Ben

Having to reread a series
« on: July 13, 2015, 03:04:19 AM »
I purchased and started Anthony Ryan's Queen of Fire which is book three of the Raven's Shadow series. Now I loved both Blood Song and Tower Lord I haven't been able to find The Lord Collector though. I started reading Queen of Fire and was completely lost. All I could think was "Who the hell are these people?" So...off I go to start Blood Song again.

I normally don't have to reread previous books of a series...I must be getting old. Soon I will be shouting at the damn kids to get off my lawn. Anyone else have this problem?

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Needs a Cheesy Quest Fantasy baa-aadly
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
Re: Having to reread a series
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 04:16:34 AM »
I purchased and started Anthony Ryan's Queen of Fire which is book three of the Raven's Shadow series. Now I loved both Blood Song and Tower Lord I haven't been able to find The Lord Collector though. I started reading Queen of Fire and was completely lost. All I could think was "Who the hell are these people?" So...off I go to start Blood Song again.

I normally don't have to reread previous books of a series...I must be getting old. Soon I will be shouting at the damn kids to get off my lawn. Anyone else have this problem?

What problem? Kids on your lawn?

On a more serious note, I do have some trouble with this (and I'm only 25). Most of the time, I'm back in the swing of things by page fifty. If I'm not, it's probably a sign that the author didn't make their characters and plot memorable enough.

Offline Hedin

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 04:19:36 AM »

I have this problem but usually if the wait is 2+ years.   If I feel the need to reread I usually check Wikipedia  (if there is one) and see if there is enough of a plot synopsis to refresh my memory.

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 09:58:28 AM »
This is the main reason why I prefer to read complete series - my memory for details isn't very good :-\
Finding a detailed plot online is a good idea, but there aren't many (just reviews).

I quite like when authors give a summary of the key points on previous books at the beginning of the new one, rather than have characters talking amongst themselves reminding the reader. This way, if you're reading them all one after the other, you can skip that bit, otherwise it gets very strange (and annoying).

For example, I'm reading the latest publication version of the Riyria Revelations, which has 2 books in one (I assume the shorter ones were the self-pub). So one book ends in page x and the next starts in page x+1, yet we still have the 'characters summarising events' thing, which feels very odd since we just read about that a couple of pages ago...
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 10:58:31 AM »
This is the main reason why I prefer to read complete series - my memory for details isn't very good :-\
Finding a detailed plot online is a good idea, but there aren't many (just reviews).

I quite like when authors give a summary of the key points on previous books at the beginning of the new one, rather than have characters talking amongst themselves reminding the reader. This way, if you're reading them all one after the other, you can skip that bit, otherwise it gets very strange (and annoying).

For example, I'm reading the latest publication version of the Riyria Revelations, which has 2 books in one (I assume the shorter ones were the self-pub). So one book ends in page x and the next starts in page x+1, yet we still have the 'characters summarising events' thing, which feels very odd since we just read about that a couple of pages ago...
He should have a different version for each possible publishing situation, darn him.  ;) :D
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Phil Norris

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 01:15:31 PM »
I like to have occasional re-reads, at the moment I'm on a ASoIaF re-read seeing its been 5 years, recently did the First Law trilogy and Peter F Hamilton's Commonwealth series. Re-reads are good because there are always bits you may have missed or over looked, the fun I'm having with the ASoIaF re-read is spotting where they've switched certain characters dialogue in the TV series from who said it in the book.
To have an idea is not enough - no matter how good the idea is.

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 01:33:56 PM »
Quite often I intend to re-read a series in preparation for a new volume, but I rarely actually manage it. I usually just wing it and hope it comes back to me. That's what I did with A Dance with Dragons, and I got on OK.

A couple of big tests coming up:

The Gathering Storm - Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson - Wheel of Time book 12. I'm going to have to read this sooner or later. I was buying hardbacks up to book 11, which I see from wikipedia was published in late 2005. I kind of lost interest, then. The series had lost its way a bit, Jordan died, and how could this unknown Sanderson guy do a good job with it?

Exodus from the Long Sun - Gene Wolfe - Long Sun book 4. I'd been reading this series as it came out, but somehow missed the concluding volume at the time. In 1996. I only recently managed to pick it up when it was finally released as an ebook a couple of years ago. This might be a tricky one to resume - I can barely remember what the books were about - but I'm just not sure I want to spend the time re-reading the first three. I mean, look at all those other unread books I have. Let's assume I read book 3 in '95, that makes it a nice round 20 years, and 10 years for WoT. Hmm. I think I'm going to have to make it a mini-challenge to get them both read this year.

I guess the mental skills required for reading F&SF really help here. You're kind of used to being dropped into a world where you don't really know the background and have to work things out as you go.

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2015, 07:20:20 PM »

I actually have a pretty good memory for obscure plot details, though I do have this problem with any new Game of Thrones book. Mainly because there are so many characters and they come out so many years apart!

That's when a quick re-read of the GoT wikipedia entries jogs my memory. :)

Offline Rostum

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2015, 05:25:41 PM »
I have always re-read books and series of books I am approaching the age where I may even have forgotten what I previously read. Knowing the story does not necessarily detract from the experience.

Offline YordanZh

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2015, 05:52:11 AM »
Well, I sometimes reread books but only if I genuinely want to read them - a childhood fav or something like that. But previous books from a series in order to remind myself of the characters and the plot? Why not just google a wiki on the series? I mean, if you really loved the previous books, I get it, but just for a reminder? Nah, there are enough new books that wait to be read. :)

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2015, 09:20:42 PM »
I quite like re-reading books, but with the huge number of 'never read before' books, I tend not to do it as much as I'd like.
I think after I finish the ones I've got at home (including books 2 and 3 of the trilogy not yet bought), it's time for some re-reading :)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline wybaugh

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2015, 01:41:20 AM »
I think I've been listening/reading way too similar of books lately.  Purchased The Sword of the North recently and could not for the life of me remember the references to the first book.  I'm getting old and definitely confusing plot lines.

Offline Takoren

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2015, 08:02:45 PM »

Yyyyyep.

I don't know how old you are but I'm in my late 30's and I forget stuff about books, even books I love, within months of reading them. That's why I like to start a series when it's several books old so that I can just go from one to the other. I bought Red Country last year. I still haven't gotten to it (though it's next) because I had to re-read EVERYTHING that comes before it.

I don't forget the overall plot, and remember a majority of characters, except some minor ones, but details, plot sequence, that I forget easily. For example, I forgot who Cosca, Jalenhorm, Kroy, Shivers, etc., were, and I forgot how the quest for the seed ended.
"The battle's won easy and the war's won cheap
My lords seem to trust me but I'm just 18
So I'll hang their hides from the bannisters
When I take my revenge on the Lannisters
Got engaged to a Frey so I could win a free pass
Can't get with Talisa but damn dat ass
Hey, hey, I wanna be Robb Stark..."