October 17, 2019, 07:52:04 PM

Author Topic: Have you ever changed you mind on a character?  (Read 632 times)

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
Have you ever changed you mind on a character?
« on: September 03, 2019, 08:02:34 AM »
You start off really liking the character at first but then you start to dislike them as the story goes on

Or a character you didn’t like at first grows on you ?
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

Re: Have you ever changed you mind on a character?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2019, 08:23:20 AM »
Definitely Vivenna from Warbreaker. I started off despising her a bit for being such a princess with a princessly attitude, but by the end of the book she became an amazing character. Also applies to the Lord Ruler in Mistborn, Kelsier after he'd died. I started not liking Jalan Kendeth much either, but he ended up being one of my more favorite characters in fantasy.

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2019, 08:25:11 AM »
Or a character you didn’t like at first grows on you ?
This has to be Malta Vestritt from the Robin Hobb's Liveship Traders, a million times over!

As for the other one, I think I will vote for Geder Palliako from Daniel Abraham's Dagger and the Coin. I didn't exactly 'like' him at first, but now I actively dislike him!
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline isos81

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2019, 08:29:23 AM »
This is the definition of Perrin and Mat from WoT.

I loved Perrin and disliked Mat at first. Some time later, I disliked Perrin and loved Mat :)
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2019, 10:21:07 AM »
Spoiler Malazan:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Kallor. Not saying I like him, but now he's just a tragic person and not an absolute asshole anymore.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 07:34:32 PM by xiagan »
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline isos81

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2019, 12:13:09 PM »
Spoiler Malazan:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Kallor. Not saying I like him, but now he's just a tragic person and not an absolute asshole anymore.

Now that you mention Malazan, I remembered The Crippled God :) (Karsa, too)

Spoiler for Hiden:
He turned from the villain to the victim
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 07:35:07 PM by xiagan »
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2019, 12:29:05 PM »
Hmmmm, do we mean instances where the change of view was what the author intended to happen, or where we simply change our minds? Because I feel like a lot of these instances are just cases of excellent writing--Geder Palliako, after all, is meant to show how easily a normal person can become "evil" if they don't think about what they're doing. But I think isos has a nice pure change-of-opinion there with Mat and Perrin. :)

Offline Peat

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2019, 12:46:38 PM »
If in doubt, go for both!

I think Jaime Lannister is my favourite example of where an author deliberately shifted our perspective of a character to create a better impression. I can't think of a case where an author deliberately sought to make a character less sympathetic where I kept reading.

Where my opinion just changed...

Perrin, yeah. That storyline was, ah, challenging. And Faile. Grew less fond of Elayne, less fond of Gawyn, more fond of Nyneave, more fond of Galad... I mean, 14 book series are gonna result in change, right?

I got a lot less interest in Dany in the books because she was stuck in a plot-pointless sidequest. Interest levels in Arya dropped for the same reason.

Hmm. I know there's others but can't hink of them.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Online ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2019, 07:58:28 AM »
Hmmmm, do we mean instances where the change of view was what the author intended to happen, or where we simply change our minds? Because I feel like a lot of these instances are just cases of excellent writing--Geder Palliako, after all, is meant to show how easily a normal person can become "evil" if they don't think about what they're doing.

Yes, they are different things, so maybe I actually don't have any reactions other than what the writer intendend :-\

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2019, 08:26:53 AM »
Where do you stand on captain Kennit @ScarletBea ? I Remember liking him at first I think was such a long time ago through.
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Online ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2019, 08:59:33 AM »
Where do you stand on captain Kennit @ScarletBea ? I Remember liking him at first I think was such a long time ago through.
Oh wow, him, yeah. As far as I remember, I kept going back and forward on my liking/disliking of him, one minute understanding where he's coming from, the other being disgusted by some of his actions, thinking there's zero justification for them. So I guess I remain ambivalent.

Offline Neveesandeh

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2019, 03:11:32 PM »
I liked Walder Fray when he was first introduced. When I was rereading the series, I found him insufferable. Not just because of what I knew he'd do later, I just now found his personality repulsive when before I'd found him funny.

Online Bender

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2019, 05:29:00 PM »
TCG from Malazan.
Persephone from First Empire.

Spoiler Malazan:
Spoiler for Hiden:

On Kallor:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Kallor always had been a d*ck. From when his killed his citizens to killing Ereko. There always has been hints of his perceived humanity but it was never elaborated.
Not all those who wander are lost

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2019, 03:37:35 AM »
Jaime Lannister and Sansa Stark, for sure.

Severus Snape, though that was the intention.

Bayaz and Jezal from First Law.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2019, 07:24:56 PM »
On Kallor:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Kallor always had been a d*ck. From when his killed his citizens to killing Ereko. There always has been hints of his perceived humanity but it was never elaborated.
I disagree.
The moment where he is at the Tiste Liosan Court or his duel near the end of Toll the Hounds were two moments where you could see how much he hurt and that there is some humanity left in him.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)