May 30, 2020, 01:18:22 PM

Author Topic: Greatest fantasy Companion of all time  (Read 10874 times)

Bryndled1

Greatest fantasy Companion of all time
« on: January 10, 2011, 12:37:51 AM »
I was saving this one for later, but it seems a fellow member has been peeking at my notes.

This one is a tie for me

#1 Samwise Gamgee; I thank the heavens every day that I was not born a man or that would be name. no joke. my mother is that big a fan.
however who better to take with you on your outing into middle earth. and he cooks.

#2 Stelmara from his dark materials. I need a daemon damn it!

and I had to add a third cause there are too many great companions to pick just 1

#3 Barak from The belgariad, who wouldnt want a giant vikingesque warrior who turns into a bezerker bear everytime your life is endangered?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 01:22:21 AM by Bryndled1 »

Offline artistxero

Re: Greatest fantasy Companion of all time
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 01:11:06 AM »
I'll stick with my answer from the other post ;). Any dwarf is the greatest fantasy Companion of all time.

Offline Zziz

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 01:18:51 AM »
I'm not the biggest fan of RA Salvatore, but I have to admit that the idea of a fiercely loyal, wicked, savage panther as a companion is one that I find rather keen.

Offline michaelramm

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 01:55:00 AM »
I'm not the biggest fan of RA Salvatore, but I have to admit that the idea of a fiercely loyal, wicked, savage panther as a companion is one that I find rather keen.

Guenhwyvar was her name, and that was going to be my answer as well!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 02:49:16 AM by michaelramm »
Currently Reading: Malice, John Gwynne; Leviathan Wakes (Expanse 1), James SA Corey; Rage of Dragons, Evan Winter
Favorite Authors: Tolkien, Sanderson, Kemp, Salvatore, Sullivan, Hearne
goodreads: michaelramm

Offline Zziz

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 02:04:53 AM »

Guenhwyvar was his name, and that was going to be my answer as well!

Yep, forgot to name the panther, though I'm fairly certain Salvatore has said himself that Guenhwyvar was a female. I may be mistaken, but that's what I recall.

Offline michaelramm

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 02:49:01 AM »

Yep, forgot to name the panther, though I'm fairly certain Salvatore has said himself that Guenhwyvar was a female. I may be mistaken, but that's what I recall.

I stand corrected.
Currently Reading: Malice, John Gwynne; Leviathan Wakes (Expanse 1), James SA Corey; Rage of Dragons, Evan Winter

Offline Zziz

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 02:56:08 AM »

I stand corrected.

Either way, I wish I had a totem that could summon a panther. I'd do it right now. I'd even let it drink some of the Delirium Noel I'm currently consuming.

Offline Maischeph

• Tribute
  • If wishes were horses, beggars would eat horse
    • View Profile
    • Got Schephs
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 04:29:28 AM »
Mercedes Lackey's Valdemar books are longtime favorites of mine, so I'd have to say if I could pick any fantasy companion, I'd pick...a Companion. Kek kek kek. And if I had to pick one specifically, I think Vanyel's Yfandes is my favorite.  ;D

Here's a picture of Vanyel and Yfandes:

Just to be clear, the Companion is the white horse. Though I wouldn't say no to Vanyel either. Of course, I'm not his type.  :P

Offline Overlord

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 05:28:56 AM »
Surely it has to be 'Mogget' from Sabriel!?!?!? :D

A cat that can turn into one of the most evil, darkest spirits there is just by removing its collar... now that is cool :D

Founder: http://fantasy-faction.com
Editor: Fantasy-Faction Anthology (Aug 2014)
Author: "Son of…" in 1853 (2013)
Host: Fantasy-Faction's Grim Gathering

Offline michaelramm

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 05:50:38 AM »
A cat that can turn into one of the most evil, darkest spirits there is...

Isn't that the definition of a regular cat?

Offline Overlord

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 05:57:24 AM »
A cat that can turn into one of the most evil, darkest spirits there is...

Isn't that the definition of a regular cat?

Hahaha, yes indeed... actually you may argue that having a 1000 year old evil spirit possessing it made it more dorsal than some cats ;)
Founder: http://fantasy-faction.com
Editor: Fantasy-Faction Anthology (Aug 2014)
Author: "Son of…" in 1853 (2013)
Host: Fantasy-Faction's Grim Gathering

Offline missoularedhead

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, 06:33:56 AM »
Pretty much everyone from LoTR except Frodo (because I just can't think of him as a companion).  Other than that?  As much as WOT annoys me sometimes, Mat & Perrin.  And Jiriki & Binibek from Williams' MST.
"Well behaved women rarely make history" ~Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Offline DarkWind

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2011, 06:36:24 AM »
Mercedes Lackey's Valdemar books are longtime favorites of mine, so I'd have to say if I could pick any fantasy companion, I'd pick...a Companion. Kek kek kek. And if I had to pick one specifically, I think Vanyel's Yfandes is my favorite.  ;D

Here's a picture of Vanyel and Yfandes:

Just to be clear, the Companion is the white horse. Though I wouldn't say no to Vanyel either. Of course, I'm not his type.  :P

I have to agree!  Yfandes was fiercely loyal, "mother-bear" protective, and brutally honest - I'd most definitely want her on MY side ;)

Guenhwyvar is a VERY close 2nd.
In our mortal lives, the gods assign a proper time for each thing upon the good earth. - Homer

Offline michaelramm

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2011, 02:39:36 PM »
I have to agree!  Yfandes was fiercely loyal, "mother-bear" protective, and brutally honest - I'd most definitely want her on MY side ;)

Guenhwyvar is a VERY close 2nd.

Yeah, but really...in a fight would you have a horse or a panther??

Bryndled1

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2011, 07:21:35 PM »
I LOVE my kitties and Guenhwyvar is a super cool companion. the 4 hour time limit keeps her from my coolest companion ever list