July 06, 2020, 01:14:09 PM

Author Topic: Gorgeous SF/F book covers!  (Read 10760 times)

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
Re: Gorgeous SF/F book covers!
« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2016, 08:34:22 AM »
Talking of Pratchet, whom I've never read, I found these gorgeous covers for his work today at Dymocks :

They're all beautiful wood carvings with 2/3 colours, and some elements are inlaid gold/silver or coppery material that catches the light.
The last one is my favourite. Great design.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Mr.J

• Anus Dracula formerly known as Arse Demon and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • Tweedy impertinence
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2016, 10:38:15 AM »
Ooh I've got that first one! :D I have Mort, Hogfather and Small Gods. All really pretty. Think they're a really excellent piece of book marketing/publishing - completely fits the Pratchett style too.

Also excellent excuse to read some Pratchett Nora ;)

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2016, 11:09:39 AM »
Sorry but no. I'm saving money, and leaving the country with all my earthly possessions in a month and a half, a hardcover book is the last thing I need!
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Mr.J

• Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • Tweedy impertinence
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2016, 11:12:20 AM »
Sorry but no. I'm saving money, and leaving the country with all my earthly possessions in a month and a half, a hardcover book is the last thing I need!
Perfect new home present ;)

But that's very sensible of you, I'm glad someone has the strength of will to resist buying books :P

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2016, 11:47:53 AM »
You're damn right. As soon as I settle somewhere, I will raid the opshops and bookstores like there are no tomorrows.

Offline Mr.J

• Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • Tweedy impertinence
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 02, 2016, 11:57:06 AM »
You're damn right. As soon as I settle somewhere, I will raid the opshops and bookstores like there are no tomorrows.
Yes!

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 02, 2016, 01:22:44 PM »
This Gif would only be more accurate if it could include a whole wall shelf of wool and knitting paraphernalia, and a little screen to play a playstation 2 or 3, ideally both. And plants. Then it'd be heaven!

Offline Mr.J

• Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • Tweedy impertinence
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2016, 08:52:40 PM »
The UK cover for The House of Binding Thorns by Aliette de Bodard, which I love.

Compare and contrast to the US edition... ::)

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2016, 08:56:34 PM »
Mr.J, that follows from the contrast of book one too:

UK cover:

vs US cover:

The US ones seem to be more generic - but at least there's no people!
(by the way, do you recommend this book? I've held it but ended up not getting it - the blurb made it sound like a generic political novel)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 08:58:45 PM by ScarletBea »
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Mr.J

• Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • Tweedy impertinence
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 11, 2016, 09:34:20 PM »
Oh yea I definitely recommend it, I don't think its a political wrangling thing at all. The Machiavellian machinations between the houses is definitely part of it, and an enjoyable one too, but the world Bodard creates, the mood and atmosphere and the range of very interesting characters that deal with things like addiction and their pasts is fascinating and unique to me.

I wasn't quite as on board with the mystical stuff that happens just over half way through, as it gets a little too much for my tastes but I can see a lot of people loving that, and the fact this book is centered on an outsider and Vietnamese immigrant too gives it a refreshing perspective compared to other fantasy books on the market imo.

So yea, well worth giving it a go I'd say. :) Also multiple LGBT characters, inc two women in a relationship, among others.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 09:39:45 PM by Mr.J »

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Needs a Cheesy Quest Fantasy baa-aadly
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #56 on: August 12, 2016, 05:57:19 AM »
The UK cover for The House of Binding Thorns by Aliette de Bodard, which I love.

Compare and contrast to the US edition... ::)

I actually like the U.S. cover better. The UK cover gives me no idea about the story. If I saw it in a bookstore, I would have no idea that it's fantasy. Haven't read those books yet, so I can't see which captures the story better.

I enjoyed the first book of her Ancient Aztec fantasy trilogy, so I should probably give her new series a try (and finish the old one).

Offline Mr.J

• Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • Tweedy impertinence
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 30, 2016, 07:50:12 PM »
Mark posted this on his twitter. Chinese King of Thorns:

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 30, 2016, 08:30:35 PM »
The new Becky Chambers book is again gorgeous, and also has a special edition cover with foil inlaid stars :

Regular cover :

And same as the first one, someone went out and did an ugly ass cover as well :

Offline JamesLatimer

« Reply #59 on: August 31, 2016, 12:23:27 PM »
I like all sorts of different covers, but usually prefer landscapes over character close-ups, and a more abstract style (no photo-realism)...but not the minimalist abstract images that a lot of UK books tend to get - find them a bit boring. Those aside, I generally prefer UK covers but some of the new wave of US ones are very good.

Made this montage for my blog but works well here: