May 19, 2019, 08:04:23 AM

Author Topic: Goodreads Troll - Words of Radiance  (Read 6261 times)

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
Goodreads Troll - Words of Radiance
« on: March 22, 2015, 08:58:17 PM »
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
Re: Goodreads Troll - Words of Radiance
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 09:11:14 PM »
Nah. I'm glad we don't have this kind of discussions here... (mostly. ;))
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 09:16:53 PM »
Anyone care to come help slay this troll? I couldn't resist...  :P
What is exactly to "troll"?
In patents, a troll is someone who buys up patents in order to sue anyone over the slightest pretext to get a quick settlement.
Doubt that's the idea here.  ;)
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 09:18:29 PM »
In patents, a troll is someone who buys up patents in order to sue anyone over the slightest pretext to get a quick settlement.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=troll

For example:
One who purposely and deliberately (that purpose usually being self-amusement) starts an argument in a manner which attacks others on a forum without in any way listening to the arguments proposed by his or her peers. He will spark of such an argument via the use of ad hominem attacks (i.e. 'you're nothing but a fanboy' is a popular phrase) with no substance or relevence to back them up as well as straw man arguments, which he uses to simply avoid addressing the essence of the issue.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2015, 09:19:02 PM »
I quite quickly lost interest.  The 'troll' is quite a poor writer to found it hard to follow his post, but he did seem to have his reasons for disliking the book, maybe not the best articulated reasons, and while The Stormlight Archives are certainly moreish, with a fascinating world and magical system, I wouldn't say they're are a 'stone cold' classic  without flaws. Definitely the character's death he refers to was quite clusily handled, and it was quite obviously they weren't permanently 'dead.' Also while he later on he does become quite snide, I also felt the fans of the book were a bit prickly and defensive of Sanderson. 

I would find something better to do TBH.  Tor had a good reread of the two books published so far, and the discussions in the comments on those articles are fascinating with lots of great ideas from fellow fans.  Why not dig those out if you want to discuss the Stormlight archives? 
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2015, 09:20:50 PM »

The Real Powers That Be

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2015, 09:41:06 PM »
I quite quickly lost interest.  The 'troll' is quite a poor writer to found it hard to follow his post, but he did seem to have his reasons for disliking the book, maybe not the best articulated reasons, and while The Stormlight Archives are certainly moreish, with a fascinating world and magical system, I wouldn't say they're are a 'stone cold' classic  without flaws. Definitely the character's death he refers to was quite clusily handled, and it was quite obviously they weren't permanently 'dead.' Also while he later on he does become quite snide, I also felt the fans of the book were a bit prickly and defensive of Sanderson.
Yeah as I said in a couple of the replies, I do agree with some of the criticisms. It's the weird stuff about the shardblades not having consistent logic and then saying that explanations later in the book are pointless that I find fascinating. :D

I would find something better to do TBH.  Tor had a good reread of the two books published so far, and the discussions in the comments on those articles are fascinating with lots of great ideas from fellow fans.  Why not dig those out if you want to discuss the Stormlight archives?
Yeah I'm not going to reply to him again  :P
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Needs a Cheesy Quest Fantasy baa-aadly
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2015, 12:50:09 AM »
I might take the critique more seriously if the person wrote in normal, comprehensible English.

Offline Justan Henner

• Barbarian who pronounces are, our and hour all the same way
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2015, 12:56:41 AM »
Bah. There's no love for us incoherent babblers.  :'(

Offline asabo

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2015, 03:40:43 PM »
I love Brandon Sanderson and have read all of his works (I think). That said, I think this book had a bit too much filler for my taste. I felt like the world started expanding and he lost control of some of his characters. (It's disturbing when they take off on their own like that!)

But maybe it's because I like some characters more than others and lose interest when it isn't their chapter.
Lethal Seasons - Apocalyptic Science Fiction (no zombies)
http://allthereisandtherestofit.blogspot.com/p/lethal-seasons.html

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2015, 03:46:13 PM »
I love Brandon Sanderson and have read all of his works (I think). That said, I think this book had a bit too much filler for my taste. I felt like the world started expanding and he lost control of some of his characters. (It's disturbing when they take off on their own like that!)

But maybe it's because I like some characters more than others and lose interest when it isn't their chapter.
I've always felt that too, I think his shorter works are often at a higher level than his longer ones because he cuts out a lot of the rubbish. Somehow the characters feel a little more realistic as well - in his novels they occasionally act out of character for the sake of the plot, which happens less in the novellas.

Offline Rukaio_Alter

• Writing Contest Regular and Ineffectual Comic Relief
  • Writing Group
  • Ambient Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2015, 05:49:02 PM »
Yeah, I very much did this as well. I can't count the number of times viewpoints were switched and I found myself thinking 'Can't we go back to Shallan/Dalinar?"

Also, I'm really not fond of Kaladin's wangsting. Yes, it's understandable considering his traumatic past, but after a while it becomes less sympathetic and more irritating, especially when it leads him to make obviously stupid moves. 
5 Times Winner of the Forum Writing Contest who Totally Hasn't Let it All go to his Head.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Also, <Insert GOD EMPEROR OF THE WRITING CONTEST joke here>

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2015, 05:53:09 PM »
Yeah, I very much did this as well. I can't count the number of times viewpoints were switched and I found myself thinking 'Can't we go back to Shallan/Dalinar?"

Also, I'm really not fond of Kaladin's wangsting. Yes, it's understandable considering his traumatic past, but after a while it becomes less sympathetic and more irritating, especially when it leads him to make obviously stupid moves.
I couldn't stand Shallan in the first book, then in the second she was better for most of it. Kaladin would've been a great character if his arc had progressed faster I think, so in other words if the books had been 1/2 to 2/3 of the length. Dalinar and Adolin were slightly better - probably because they had less screen time - and ones like Szeth with practically no screen time were far more interesting.  :-\

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2015, 11:56:52 PM »
Trolls do what they do to get responses, the more and the angrier those responses, the more they like it. They should be renamed flies, because what they're doing is fishing for bites. The best response to a troll is to ignore them, that's what they really hate. Trolls shrivel up and die when they're ignored.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Rukaio_Alter

• Writing Contest Regular and Ineffectual Comic Relief
  • Writing Group
  • Ambient Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2015, 04:41:55 AM »

I couldn't stand Shallan in the first book, then in the second she was better for most of it. Kaladin would've been a great character if his arc had progressed faster I think, so in other words if the books had been 1/2 to 2/3 of the length. Dalinar and Adolin were slightly better - probably because they had less screen time - and ones like Szeth with practically no screen time were far more interesting.  :-\
I wasn't fond of Shallan early in the first book, but I became more and more interested in her as she attempted to get her wardship from Jasnah and the consequences. By the second, her viewpoint ended up being the one I enjoyed the most by a fair chunk. She even made Kaladin's angsting bearable when the two were stuck together.

As for Kaladin, I don't think my issue with him is so much his character arc progressing too slowly. My problem is with the way that his development goes backwards. For me, the best moment of his emotional arc was
Spoiler for Hiden:
when he was on the verge of committing suicide and jumping into the chasm, before deciding against it and choosing to reform Bridge 4 instead.
That should've been the turning point in his development where he chooses to stop angsting about his past and do something about it. But the problem is that after a while, he starts slipping back into his old angsting routines again and, instead of us feeling sympathetic, we just start to think 'haven't we done all this already'? It felt like Sanderson was undoing Kaladin's development just to draw out drama. And that just annoyed me. 

Also, I'll admit I'm not the fondest of Szeth. Not to say I dislike him but, from the bits we've got, he just seems a bit too lifeless and brooding to get my attention. I'm glad Sanderson didn't bulk out his parts otherwise I think they would've been fairly boring. Sure, he becomes a bit more interesting when he's having his meltdown towards the end and I'm kind of curious in seeing where they go with him next, but I'd hardly call him a favourite of mine at the moment.
5 Times Winner of the Forum Writing Contest who Totally Hasn't Let it All go to his Head.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Also, <Insert GOD EMPEROR OF THE WRITING CONTEST joke here>