December 14, 2019, 04:47:33 AM

Author Topic: Godblind by Anna Stephens (full trilogy)  (Read 3719 times)

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
Re: Godblind by Anna Stephens
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2018, 02:58:06 PM »
Congrats for conquering the German Market, @AnnaStephens!

Title: "Guardians and Wolves"

Subtitle: The End of Peace
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline AnnaStephens

Re: Godblind by Anna Stephens
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2018, 09:42:44 AM »
Danke!!

It's a gorgeous cover too.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
Re: Godblind by Anna Stephens + Darksoul
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2019, 08:12:34 AM »
I decided to do my comments in this thread, make it about the trilogy :)

I finished Darksoul last night, and it was a really good book :D

Next time someone wants grimdark, or says that Mark Lawrence is very grimdark, please correct them, say "Noooo!" and point to Anna's books.
It's strange, because it really grew on me! At first I kept thinking it was just one bad thing after another, far too grimdark really, but after a lovely chapter and a really shocking one soon after, things kinda clicked and everything made sense.

I found it very different from Godblind. Yes, it's still got amazing characters, if anything even better, developed deeper., and yes, the battles are still superbly written (Anna, are you sure you never fought?), but by setting the scene in basically one place, one location, it feels everything is running along very smoothly. The story continues on relentlessly, aiming very rapidly to the end game, which is something you normally don't get in a multiple POV book.
And because of this, being so involved in the story, I almost resented Rillirin's few chapters which removed me from the action for a while. I understand the need, as it feels that book 3 will focus much more on her and link it to the action of this one.

So here's what I say: if you loved Godblind, read Darksoul (you probably already have, hehe, I was a bit late to the game). And if you liked book 1 with some reservations, please give book 2 a try, I promise you won't be disappointed :)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Peat

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2019, 09:35:18 AM »

(Anna, are you sure you never fought?)

She does a lot of martial arts.

I know this because when I ask authors which other authors they want on their side in a cage match/fight to the death, her name comes up reasonably regularly.

That and she says so on the first page of this thread :P
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2019, 10:22:13 AM »
I didn't mean martial arts!
At least personally I don't see any connection between what I imagine martial art fighting is, and the sword/dagger/trebuchet/catapult fighting+strategy in defending a city+military strategy in general that the book has :P

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2019, 12:30:02 PM »
She actually does do sword, dagger, associated medievally weapon practice :) Maybe not trebuchets though...maybe...for now...

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things

Offline Peat

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2019, 01:04:52 PM »
Operation "Build Me A Trebuchet" is now go!

I didn't mean martial arts!
At least personally I don't see any connection between what I imagine martial art fighting is, and the sword/dagger/trebuchet/catapult fighting+strategy in defending a city+military strategy in general that the book has :P

HEMA and other European Historical Recreationist fighting styles are martial arts though - all the sword and dagger stuff - just western ones. I thought that's what you were referring to

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2019, 02:17:30 PM »
*learning/discovering new stuff*
!

Offline AnnaStephens

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2019, 04:24:08 PM »
She actually does do sword, dagger, associated medievally weapon practice :) Maybe not trebuchets though...maybe...for now...

I've never been able to figure out how to attach pictures to these posts, so let me just say I do have a treb. A scaled-down version, it's true, but it's good for scaring off the neighbour's cat when it tries to poop in my flower beds. 
I also currently have four bruises on my left arm from sword-fighting. I'm nowhere near as good at it as my characters.

Offline AnnaStephens

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2019, 04:25:01 PM »
I decided to do my comments in this thread, make it about the trilogy :)

I finished Darksoul last night, and it was a really good book :D

Next time someone wants grimdark, or says that Mark Lawrence is very grimdark, please correct them, say "Noooo!" and point to Anna's books.
It's strange, because it really grew on me! At first I kept thinking it was just one bad thing after another, far too grimdark really, but after a lovely chapter and a really shocking one soon after, things kinda clicked and everything made sense.

I found it very different from Godblind. Yes, it's still got amazing characters, if anything even better, developed deeper., and yes, the battles are still superbly written (Anna, are you sure you never fought?), but by setting the scene in basically one place, one location, it feels everything is running along very smoothly. The story continues on relentlessly, aiming very rapidly to the end game, which is something you normally don't get in a multiple POV book.
And because of this, being so involved in the story, I almost resented Rillirin's few chapters which removed me from the action for a while. I understand the need, as it feels that book 3 will focus much more on her and link it to the action of this one.

So here's what I say: if you loved Godblind, read Darksoul (you probably already have, hehe, I was a bit late to the game). And if you liked book 1 with some reservations, please give book 2 a try, I promise you won't be disappointed :)

Thank you so much, Bea! I'm really glad you enjoyed it. x

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2019, 04:25:53 PM »
it's good for scaring off the neighbour's cat when it tries to poop in my flower beds. 
ohmygawd, I so NEED this!!!!
I have to make do with lemon juice :'(

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
Re: Godblind by Anna Stephens (full trilogy)
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2019, 09:11:10 AM »
I'm reading the last one, Bloodchild.
(just like the others, it's SO good!)

I haven't finished yet, but I had to comment on this: in the middle of all the gore and anguish and fights, there are such beautiful tender moments, I love it!

Last night I read about the implementation of a law to allow same-sex marriages, and the subsequent first gay wedding in that world :-*
I then decided to stop reading and turn off the lights, to keep a nice image in my brain before sleep - especially given what had been happening with a major character just before that  :'( ::)

Offline isos81

« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2019, 09:28:28 AM »
I wonder if there is any plans for Turkish market?  :)
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2019, 09:42:54 AM »
Calling @AnnaStephens to reply :)

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2019, 08:22:14 AM »
It's over, and ohmygawd! What an amazing ending and amazing book, I think this was my favourite of the 3!

I cried. Yes, I admit it, but I dare anyone not to. It's not a spoiler to say that not everyone good (and maybe bad...) survives in the end :'(
(BAD Anna >:()

The different locations worked better in this book than the last one, in my opinion, as I felt they were more evenly balanced.
And I love this writing style: have short chapters from different characters' POV but all within the same scene (instead of using the change in character/POV to move the story to another place). Anna and John Gwynne are the ones that do this wonderfully!

I think everyone who likes their fantasy a bit more 'heavy' and grimdark should read this trilogy, and I can't wait to see what Anna writes next :D

Edit: I only read book reviews after I've finished the book (does that make me odd?), and I've just checked Fantasy Hive's review by Mike Evans (it doesn't have spoilers for this book 3).
It starts like this and I agree 100% ;D (except the feelings, I don't really mind hehe)
The Good: Everything. Seriously. *SPOILERS*

The Bad: IT GAVE ME FEELINGS – I DO NOT LIKE FEELING FEELINGS.

The Ugly Truth: THIS. IS. HOW. YOU. END. A. SERIES. (If I could somehow capitalise a full stop I would use it in this review.) Pulse-pounding drama and action to the heart-breaking end. 11/10, A++, all of the stars.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 08:29:43 AM by ScarletBea »