September 18, 2019, 11:25:37 PM

Author Topic: Godblind by Anna Stephens + Darksoul  (Read 2761 times)

Offline Rostum

Godblind by Anna Stephens + Darksoul
« on: June 16, 2017, 01:32:16 AM »
Godblind is the first of a grimdark trilogy by Anna Stephens, Fantasy forum member, cool dude(tte) and as of the Waterstones Birmingham launch tonight published author.

The Blurb on Amazon reads.

Fantasy’s most anticipated debut of the year.

"There was a time when the Red Gods ruled the land. The Dark Lady and her horde dealt in death and blood and fire.
That time has long since passed and the neighbouring kingdoms of Mireces and Rilpor hold an uneasy truce. The only blood spilled is confined to the border where vigilantes known as Wolves protect their kin and territory at any cost.
But after the death of his wife, King Rastoth is plagued by grief, leaving the kingdom of Rilpor vulnerable.
Vulnerable to the blood-thirsty greed of the Warrior-King Liris and the Mireces army waiting in the mountains…"

GODBLIND is an incredible debut from a dazzling new voice of the genre.

The Launch:- I arrived in Birmingham in time for a coffee in their cafe and found the 2nd floor blockaded by Waterstones staff as they put out chairs for the event. I am sure they put Fantasy authors in the cookery and crafts section as they know they will never get the audience out if they put them downstairs with the SFF and comics. A lot of chairs and a lot of bums on seats, as many as Jen, Den and Peter managed. Anna was a star despite claiming to be a bundle of nerves she gave astute answers, offered the audience the chance to leave and told us which characters to hate in the book. There were a couple of monosyllabic answers but one of the questions deserved it. Godblind has existed in one form or another since 2004 and has been re-written15 times between then and publication. This is a study in perseverance, take note potential authors.

The Book Itself:- Having attacked Godblind on the journey home I can vouch that it is compelling.
In the 60 odd pages I have read I have found it difficult to put down and nearly didn't get off the train at Gloucester. I believe I said I thought it would be the breakthrough fantasy book of 2017 and stand by that statement, but now is where I kick your baby Anna so perhaps you may want to look away.

Spoiler for Hiden:
She fires arrows and will consign herself to that special plane of hell for people who do so.

I am really sorry but this one (as a few of you may have noticed) really makes my teeth grind. That aside the chapters so far are bite sized and from multiple viewpoints. There is good world building and story generation and I have a desire to get back to my beautifully signed copy to find out what happens next.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 08:00:15 AM by ScarletBea »

Offline AnnaStephens

Re: Godblind by Anna Stephens
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 07:52:38 AM »
ARGHHHH did one slip through? I am CERTAIN that they are correctly loosed in almost all instances as I know very well that that is correct terminology. 

DAMNIT.

:-[

But, thanks for the write up, also!

Offline Rostum

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 04:12:24 PM »
It's a personal hatred from 30+ years as a toxophilite and you are far from alone in using fired in your writing.
My OCD on the subject hardly makes it's usage wrong but it is a recurring debate on this site.

I am now at about the 200 page mark and curious to know where you researched you spear training?
What I have read so far is spot on if limited.

Offline AnnaStephens

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 07:27:49 AM »
Thanks! It's limited because there was no research involved. That's me translating my years of martial arts experience into writing. We didn't specifically train against spears, but there was defence against staff and bo, some practical, most from practising kata, and that is similar (but without the pointy end). Longer stance, stable through the hips etc is from karate. Glad to hear I got it right!

I'm probably going to join a HEMA club and I think they train pollax so hopefully my knowledge of that weapon will deepen and inform the sequels.

Offline Rostum

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 01:26:47 PM »
ahh ninja training!

I think @CameronJohnston  is a member of Hema. You also have the Stafford's on your doorstep who are a old mean, crusty and mostly broken bunch of Wars of the Roses re-enactors with probably the hardest hitting bill block I ever encountered in 25 years of international playing at hitting people with lumps of steel. Never got on with polaxes myself you need at least half harness to play reasonably safely with these things and I much preferred an open fight to having to stand and take it. By coincidence I found 2 heavy spears i forgot I had in the garage while moving motorbikes around. I much preferred those to a bill or glaive as you are much faster.

You may find this of interest. George silver raging against the adoption of the rapier over the longsword.

http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/paradoxes.html

« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 09:30:26 PM by Rostum »

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2017, 02:43:08 PM »
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2017, 06:33:12 PM »
Cannot wait for it to be available here in the US next month!
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2017, 09:23:39 PM »
*Appears in a puff of smoke*

Aha, I hear my name intoned in an eldritch manner!
Yes, I've done HEMA though I am somewhat lapsed. Need to get back into it later this year. Ed McDonald would be a better source of info to be honest.

Oh goodness, spears eh? I have little experience there, but I have done quarterstaff (much heavier strike than a Bo) which bears some similarities. The problem here is that it is pretty much impossible to properly spar with these kind of weapons. There are rubber spear tips and pole arm heads and such to simulate the use of such weapons but the weapons are just so damn devastating that it's impossible to defend against every use. One of the biggest and best attacks is the strike to the knee and no matter how much armour you wear a human knee is just not designed to bend that way. Snap. 

One thing Robert Jordan got right in the Wheel of Time is his legendary swordsman Jearom being beaten by a farmer using a quarterstaff. Honestly, it's no contest. Quarterstaff every time. Easily. I've gone broadsword vs quarterstaff and it was not pretty, nor close.

Now I'm curious as to which HEMA club this is :)

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2017, 10:21:57 PM »
Just coming out of a Harper Collins book bonenza after work. They advertised Godblind in the video we had to watch in exchange for the permission to raid a ton of free books.
It was funny seeing this. Small world!
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline AnnaStephens

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2017, 07:38:32 AM »

Offline AnnaStephens

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2017, 07:44:04 AM »
@The Gem Cutter thanks, I hope you grab a copy and enjoy it!

@Rostum that's awesome. I should point out that most of our karate bo training was deflecting the attack rather than accepting it - I never fancied blocking an overhead strike with my unprotected forearm.  But they're so fast...

@CameronJohnston there's a club opened up in Birmingham - Birmingham HEMA - which I haven't joined yet but am going to. All previous experience was from karate practice, not HEMA. And I totally agree about knees. We did a lot of stamping in karate - without full follow through, of course - and just the touch of a foot on the outside of the knee was enough to make people cringe. But I'm really looking forward to giving HEMA a go and I'm very happy to get harnessed up and give people a good clang! I mean, who wouldn't find that the most fun ever?

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2017, 04:46:43 PM »
Anna in your interview on the main site, when you were asked something about when it became real for you, I thought of your video on Facebook where you received the first hard copy in a package. That was a great moment, both for you and any aspiring writer - when an actual, tangible book arrives after all that time and trouble and doubt. So happy for you!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline AnnaStephens

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2017, 07:14:20 AM »
Oh, yes, that was such a special moment. Honestly, I think my best advice is this; when it happens for you, make the most of every single one of those 'firsts' - first agent conversation, first offer from publisher, first publisher announcement, first edit, first proofread, first convention, first ARC, first copy, first autograph, first launch.

None of them will ever be the same as the first one. Cherish them all. I'm keeping a notebook where I write down how all of those things felt so I can always go back to it, with pictures from the internet where people have spoken about/shared photos of their copies. Sounds really narcissistic, but memories fade and I want to remember the experience. It's truly magical.

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2017, 07:57:10 AM »
I've just ordered a hardcover version of Godblind from an online Kinokuniya bookstore. I can't wait for it to arrive!  :D

Offline AnnaStephens

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2017, 07:23:42 AM »
I've just ordered a hardcover version of Godblind from an online Kinokuniya bookstore. I can't wait for it to arrive!  :D

Thank you! I love hearing how people around the world can get hold of copies - makes it even more astounding that it's actually happening. I'm used to the fact people in the UK can buy it, but to hear people on the other side of the world can get hold of it is still really ... odd. But amazing!

I hope you enjoy it!