November 28, 2020, 11:01:20 PM

Author Topic: Gideon the Ninth vs Malazan  (Read 274 times)

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

Gideon the Ninth vs Malazan
« on: October 28, 2020, 03:04:25 AM »
Quick reading questions. Gideon the Ninth or Malazan? My order of Malazan is just about to arrive today, and from today I'm going on a three day kind of vacation where I can only bring one book with me. I want to make sure that I'm going to like the book and that I'll be able to stick with it for those three days. So it's the time for the important question. Should I bring Gardens of the Moon or Gideon of the Ninth with me?

Offline hexa

Re: Gideon the Ninth vs Malazan
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2020, 03:28:53 AM »
Gardens of the Moon

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2020, 04:04:44 AM »
Gideon. Hands down. Never managed to get into Malazan, but one is short, fun, and looking to be a trilogy, the other is nearly as bad as Wheel of Time... Just, not the same stuff.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline isos81

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2020, 05:46:46 AM »
I really disliked and DNF'ed Gideon, and Malazan is my all time favorite. Still, these two aren't comparable. If it is only for the reading order, start with Gideon since it is a relatively small book.
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2020, 06:33:50 AM »
I don’t think you would like Malazan it’s be like a harder version of a Thousand Names.

Gideon n the ninth has a very slow boring start , just read the last chapter and save you some time. The bestvthing about it is the cover.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 06:41:02 AM by eclipse »
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2020, 07:59:18 AM »
I'm with eclipse, Inky.

Based on what you said about this book:
The Thousand Names by Django Wexler. Maybe I'm not in the mood for epic fantasy, I don't know, but I dropped it just after the first page. The list of names and titles and complicated sounding office just rolled right off me into boredom zone and I just kinda stop reading.

You won't know what's happening and who's who for about half of the book in Gardens of the moon and things will only start making sense towards the end (and each new book in the series will start like that hehe).
Also, most of the books have got really hard sub-plots, they had me in despair and in tears, so you need to be in a really good place mentally before each one, and go prepared.
Matching books with people is as much about the person as the book, and as much as I love Malazan, I won't really recommend it for you...
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2020, 10:48:34 AM »
Yes, Gardens of the Moon throws you directly in, but it's not boring. It's full of action. I found the start of Gideon a lot slower than GotM.
Malazan is the series that has everything, it's just hard for some to get into GotM.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Magnus Hedén

• High Lord of commas and Grand Master of semicolons
  • Ambient Mage
  • My name is Magnus. I make stuff up.
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2020, 01:59:51 PM »
Haven't read Malazan but Gideon the Ninth is one of my favourites from this year.