July 14, 2020, 07:26:09 PM

Author Topic: From what perspective?  (Read 9920 times)

Offline Minesril

Re: From what perspective?
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2011, 08:36:23 AM »
I like third person, but it takes a talented author to pull it off.  All too often they change perspective every page (sometimes every other sentence) which really irritates me.  George RR Martin has pretty much nailed it - the best way to do third person is to have a different chapter for a different person.  You can do this for first person too.  It's the best way for the author - and indeed reader - to not become confused.

First person works sometimes for me, and pretty much all of the young adult stuff I've been reading lately does it.  Of course they're usually in the present tense as well, which opens up an entirely different can of worms...

Offline graveyardhag

« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2011, 11:50:23 AM »
First person I think is difficult to get right. Written well is good to read. Jim Butcher - The Dresden Files, Tamora Pierce - Beka Cooper books, Twilight (don't shoot me!) I can reread those stories over and over.
Written decently is ok, say.. Glenda Lark - The Isles of Glory series. I read it, and it was a good story. But I couldn't read it again.
Written badly I just can't read it. It's so bad I can't even give an example  :D

Personally I prefer 3rd person POV's. Robert Jordan and George R R Martin type 3rd persons anyway. I enjoy the mystery of figuring things out. Seeing things from the characters POV but without actually being told it personally.

I don't like narration type stories at all. I would rather read about a character figuring something out than be told the whole thing 40 pages before they even get a clue.
"Eva, can I stack Rod's sad-ass dork cats in a cave?"

Offline Funky Scarecrow

« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2011, 05:48:47 PM »
I can't say I'm overly fussy about which POV is used, provided it's the right one for the story. The only caveats to that, are that if a novel is in first-person POV it needs to be either, a. Very short, so the character doesn't outstay their welcome, or else b. The narrator needs to be unreliable enough that the book becomes a sort of puzzle.

Weirdly, I'm more willing to spend 850 pages in the company of a character I don't trust than I am with a character I trust completely.
I am NOT short. I'm further away than I look.

Offline Nyki Blatchley

« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2011, 09:13:39 PM »
Yes, I know exactly what you mean by that.  It doesn't have to be a major lack of trust, but certainly a feeling that they're keeping something back.

Offline Overlord

« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2011, 12:15:46 PM »
I can't say I'm overly fussy about which POV is used, provided it's the right one for the story. The only caveats to that, are that if a novel is in first-person POV it needs to be either, a. Very short, so the character doesn't outstay their welcome, or else b. The narrator needs to be unreliable enough that the book becomes a sort of puzzle.

Weirdly, I'm more willing to spend 850 pages in the company of a character I don't trust than I am with a character I trust completely.

You can never trust a first person narrator - but perhaps that is what makes the experience so much more interesting. Kvothe is the most obvious example, but after having just finished both Dresden (book 1) and Farseer (Trilogy) there are always 'brags' in there. For example when Fitz has sex with (better not mention her name for fear of spoiling) he says:

"Dont make this complicated. Stop thinking, just for a while." (Says 'x')
Actually, it was quite a while. (Says Fitz in 1st Person)
Founder: http://fantasy-faction.com
Editor: Fantasy-Faction Anthology (Aug 2014)
Author: "Son of…" in 1853 (2013)
Host: Fantasy-Faction's Grim Gathering

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2018, 11:17:49 AM »
I really enjoy reading first person narrator
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2018, 11:49:34 AM »
7 years! ;D

I also like 1st Person, but it needs to be done properly.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!