July 15, 2020, 12:59:51 PM

Author Topic: Final Round: Self-Published Fantasy Blog-Off  (Read 23079 times)

Offline Mr.J

• Anus Dracula formerly known as Arse Demon and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • Tweedy impertinence
    • View Profile
Re: Final Round: Self-Published Fantasy Blog-Off
« Reply #90 on: February 05, 2016, 12:09:04 PM »
Ooh a conspiracy theory?

I'll get Mulder and Scully on the case.

Also think I'll read a couple of these, the Thief one is free on kindle so it's obviously a good starting place...but I do want to read @Saraband too, about the only other one that sounds interesting. :)

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #91 on: February 05, 2016, 01:30:26 PM »
Three or four were free, when I checked, then another three or four were available from the Kindle Lending Library via my Prime subscription. And then almost all of the others have been free at some point since I started checking, and there's only one I haven't been able to get hold of for nowt. On the other hand, the Lending Library ones are the only ones I've read, because they had a deadline.

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 13, 2016, 11:09:21 AM »
More reviews in

I think my tastes line up mostly with Fantasy book review and the Fictional Hangout
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Mark Lawrence

« Reply #93 on: February 19, 2016, 08:24:45 AM »
The conspiracy theory is postulated and answered in the last 3 comments on the SPFBO page:

http://mark---lawrence.blogspot.co.uk/2015/08/final-round-self-published-fantasy-blog.html

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #94 on: February 19, 2016, 08:41:10 AM »
Some people are such bad losers ::)

(whoever 'Caldero'/Anonymous is)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • View Profile
    • BrawBlether
« Reply #95 on: February 19, 2016, 09:32:34 AM »

It seems like making the top 10 of 250 self-published books isn't enough of an achievement for people to be happy with  ::)

I know how happy I am to have come this far, judging by the reviews we are likely to get a very worthy winner  :)
https://brawblether.com

"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #96 on: February 19, 2016, 09:55:18 AM »

Yep, definitely sounds like the same guy. Funny thing is, I suspect if you take out all of EBR scores, don't think it will change the results. Most of the lower scoring books were already out of reach of the top spot (don't have the ability to verify this right now, but can when I'm on a computer instead of mobile)

Like Sarabrand said, it should be an honor just to have been selected. All of these books have received more exposure/attention/reviews than they would have without the competition.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 09:58:00 AM by Arry »
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • View Profile
    • BrawBlether
« Reply #97 on: February 19, 2016, 10:23:31 AM »
Like Sarabrand said, it should be an honor just to have been selected. All of these books have received more exposure/attention/reviews than they would have without the competition.

This, many times this. I now have a much clearer idea of where the faults are in my book, and how I can work to improve it if I am to have a shot at becoming traditionally published. Not only the reviews from the various blogs, but also from the many readers that were attracted to these books only because of the contest.
https://brawblether.com

"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns

Offline G_R_Matthews

« Reply #98 on: February 19, 2016, 12:18:29 PM »
It is a competition - people get caught up in it and miss the big picture, I think.

My book, brilliant work of genius that it is, got a good review from BookwormBlues, but didn't get through the 2nd round - that damn fine fellow Ben Galley beat me (and a few others) to the punch.

Once it was clear, I was out, I could start reading and reviewing (and I try to stay away from reviewing as much as I can - shooting myself in the foot springs to mind) for the #SPFBO. I've been the lowest scorer on FF (I think), but I've tried to be clear why in my reviews... and I got accused on the Under a Cold Sun review of something - still not quite sure what, in the comments below the review:

"I find it odd that a contestant in the SPFBO is now a judge in the matter. F-F has had some interesting reviews in this,"

It doesn't bother me. If someone doesn't like my opinion of a book, good - read it, form your own opinion and tell folks why you loved it.

The BIG PICTURE is simple:

Every book that got a review gained more exposure than it would have without the #SPFBO and for a self-pub author that is gold!

If an author got a review they weren't pleased with... welcome to publishing... you're not alone. Lots of Traditionally published and very successful authors have those. Joe Abercrombie even publishes his on Amazon - genius and funny.

Conspiracy... no. There were just some books that were better, more appealing, more commercial, more refined, more zietgiest, more in the paradigm, more <chose your own here> than some of the others.

Life, eh? :)

Staff Writer and ponderer of many things @ fantasy-faction

The Stone Road (4/5* Bookwormblues.net) : myBook.to/thestoneroad
Silent City : myBook.to/silentcity

www.grmatthews.com

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 19, 2016, 12:40:42 PM »
As a reader whose read  9 of the books and one Dnf, I respect the reviews even if I disagree with their scores. I will be avoiding the review sites who gave a high score to my dnf in future through as we must have different tastes in stories hehe and that's okay.

I will be following three authors with interest  who I wouldn't have before this contest and found a few review sites I've not heard of before who align with my book tastes.
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 19, 2016, 12:57:57 PM »
Average score comparison:

So if you remove EBR, several pairs of books swap position: Blood Rush & The Weight of a Crown, City of Burning Shadows & What Remains of Heroes, and Shattered Sands & Under a Colder Sun. Those also happen to be books with reviews still to come, so they're the ones where EBR's review has the greatest effect on the average.

One of those which doesn't change position is The Thief Who Pulled on Trouble's Braids, so... yeah.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 01:00:51 PM by Raptori »
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #101 on: February 19, 2016, 01:44:08 PM »
There will be plenty of ways to analyse the numbers, if people want to get into that. You can't really be sure that the different sites are rating to the same scale, and any site which has a larger spread of scores is going to have slightly more weight in the overall rankings. I doubt that anything is going to move that dramatically, though.

I mentioned before that many judged sports discard the highest and lowest marks before taking the average. Another possible option would be turn the scores into preference order, and work it like that, maybe with transferable votes, like the Hugo.

If people really want to go into that level of analysis, they can. The numbers are right there. I think you've got to be a bit too bothered about it, though...

Offline Barbara J Webb

« Reply #102 on: February 19, 2016, 02:19:27 PM »
It's such a weird accusation since, as others have mentioned, there aren't any real stakes to this "contest." The prize is that we all get reviews and exposure. And that we get just for showing up as finalists.

I can't pretend a lack of bias towards EBR. (I'm their current highest scoring review. Of course, I think they are the awesomest.) But as Mark pointed out in his comment over there, this is a small, incestuous business, where a whole lot of people are publishing-siblings with a whole lot of other people. Beyond that, a whole lot of us are simply friends, because we're all fans together.

I'm going to rate this conspiracy theory a 3. The character motivations simply don't hold together, and the world-building doesn't impress me. An interesting conflict at first glance, but it falls apart when you think about it too hard.
Breaking the world one character at a time.

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #103 on: February 19, 2016, 02:25:19 PM »
I've only read three of the books, so far, but even with that tiny sample none of the ten blogs have rated the three books in the same order that I did. There are two which still potentially could, when they rate the third book. One of them is Fantasy Faction.

(For the record:

1. Priest
2. What Remains of Heroes
3. Shattered Sands

although there's not a lot of absolute points difference between the three of them.)

Offline Overlord

« Reply #104 on: February 27, 2016, 01:39:24 PM »
The Self-Published Fantasy Blog Off has come to an end. Huge congratulations to the winner. We choose Ben Galley's BloodRush as our favourite, with The Thief Who Pulled On Trouble's Braids a VERY close second (we gave them the same score, but felt Ben's was a little more original and finished stronger - leaving us dying to pick up the sequel). Shattered Sands was our third favourite, we felt that the depth of the world, twists and complexities justified this. Also, considering the author was a non-native, the prose is fluent and adds to the whole experience which makes this book seem far shorter than the tome it actually is. I think Sands left you feeling that this book 'could' have been the winner with a little more work. I'm not sure if any of the others left us feeling that same way (although there were plenty of others we thoroughly enjoyed).

http://mark---lawrence.blogspot.co.uk/2016/02/the-self-published-fantasy-blog-off.html
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 01:41:14 PM by Overlord »
Founder: http://fantasy-faction.com
Editor: Fantasy-Faction Anthology (Aug 2014)
Author: "Son of…" in 1853 (2013)
Host: Fantasy-Faction's Grim Gathering