October 20, 2020, 06:56:10 AM

Author Topic: Final Round: Self-Published Fantasy Blog-Off  (Read 23491 times)

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • Lanko's Goodreads
Re: Final Round: Self-Published Fantasy Blog-Off
« Reply #75 on: January 23, 2016, 04:26:42 PM »
Finished What Remains of Heroes, by David Benem. Gave it 4 stars.

This actually surprised me, after a really bad start, which I mentioned in the Currently Reading thread.

The narrative has its problems, with a lot of telling instead of showing in description, thoughts and dialogue, but it actually was a good story, I liked how the deities were acting on the world, at least three of them and with a fourth well described.

It appeared it would be a massive cliché story, but it actually didn't. I wonder if the author wrote those initial chapters so bad on purpose.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Caldero81

« Reply #76 on: February 04, 2016, 03:36:31 AM »
Looks like the contest is over.  Elitist Book Reviews single-handedly took most contenders out of contention.  Struck me as suspicious since they are affiliated with the publisher who picked up the thief book for publication. 

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
« Reply #77 on: February 04, 2016, 05:29:09 AM »
I am rather surprised you joined the forum today in order to make that rather contentious comment. Do you have some particular vested interest of your own?
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • BrawBlether
« Reply #78 on: February 04, 2016, 10:20:01 AM »
At the moment, Shattered Sands is the one with the least reviews, and that doesn't make me nervous at all. Not really. Not even anxious or anything. No.

https://brawblether.com

"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #79 on: February 04, 2016, 10:59:18 AM »
At the moment, Shattered Sands is the one with the least reviews, and that doesn't make me nervous at all. Not really. Not even anxious or anything. No.
They're saving the best until last 8)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #80 on: February 04, 2016, 12:20:42 PM »

Yeah, I wondered why. Is there a reason? What happens if not every reviewer reads all books?
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • BrawBlether
« Reply #81 on: February 04, 2016, 12:42:44 PM »
Yeah, I wondered why. Is there a reason? What happens if not every reviewer reads all books?

No idea. Whoever is responsible for Fantasy Faction's reviews in the contest may be able to answer you, but I don't know if any of the writers taking part would know. There's still a month to go, and only 26 reviews left, so there's still time for the ones further behind in their reviews to catch up  :)
https://brawblether.com

"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #82 on: February 04, 2016, 01:49:32 PM »
Looks like the contest is over.  Elitist Book Reviews single-handedly took most contenders out of contention.  Struck me as suspicious since they are affiliated with the publisher who picked up the thief book for publication.
You could always do some ski-jumping/figure-skating scoring, and discard the highest and lowest before taking the average.

Anyway, are we sure those new EBR scores aren't out of 5? At present, they've given Priest the lowest score of anyone for any book, and it's my favourite of the three I've read (although, to be fair, there wasn't much between them.)

Offline Overlord

« Reply #83 on: February 04, 2016, 02:47:09 PM »

Hmm... I will withhold my thoughts on possible reasons behind this, but I do feel sorry for the authors.

I do think we've been quite generous, but that is in this website's nature. We could probably drop each book a point or two if comparing them to say Brandon Sanderson or Patrick Rothfuss, etc, but I've tried to keep the scores in context of the SPFBO.
Founder: http://fantasy-faction.com
Editor: Fantasy-Faction Anthology (Aug 2014)
Author: "Son of…" in 1853 (2013)
Host: Fantasy-Faction's Grim Gathering

Offline Barbara J Webb

« Reply #84 on: February 04, 2016, 02:51:58 PM »

Possibly a really good sign? A lot of the bloggers seem to save their favorite few for the last reviews they do.

Could be awesome!
Breaking the world one character at a time.

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #85 on: February 04, 2016, 03:43:36 PM »

I think it's fair if that's what they feel the book deserved. I have read published books I have rated that low, it happens. Also, Thief is not their highest rated book currently, so I don't know that is their motivation at all.

I noticed that too. Who knows what caused that. But, I know Lynn from Lynn's book has finished reading it, so her review should be along sometime soon. (haven't heard any hints or mentions as to what she thought)
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #86 on: February 04, 2016, 04:16:17 PM »
Hm, except for What Remains of Heroes and Priest (that I haven't read yet), the scores on EBR are pretty much on par with mine. And I can even understand the 4 for WRoH, it starts really bad. But the expected cliches not happening in the end and a certain character made the book work for me.

I read their reviews of City of Burning Shadows and The Thief Who Pulled on Trouble's Braids and they are pretty much exactly how I felt about the books. The only exception is that on Thief he liked Holgren (a sidekick) being proeminent in the story, while I felt he overshadowed the protagonist. And City is even the book with the highest score by them.

I'm actually more puzzled by the scores given without a review (and not just by EBR). What they thought of the books? What was good and bad? Also, the feedback would be invaluable for the authors too, I believe.

About the least amount of reviews for Shattered Sands, it was tied with Heroes and Priest at four reviews each a few days ago. Then someone told me they were the longest books, so maybe they were saved for last because of length? They seem to be picking up reviews now (although Bloodrush is the 2nd longest I think and didn't had this problem). For the record, I read Colder Sun,Thief and Sins in three days, I think (they have 200 pages, Sins around 300).

I was planning to read Sands (and Priest) this month. But there's a lot going on in the moment, and the carnival is just starting. I'm a week into Lies of Locke Lamora and I still didn't reached the halfway point, while in normal circumstances I would be finished by now!
But don't worry, people will read it. And people here said it was really good and this word of mouth has a lot of weight (or even more).
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #87 on: February 04, 2016, 05:30:46 PM »
@Lanko head to the Shattered Sands read along when you eventually read Sands. it's one of the best In the Final,It's in my personal top 3  ;D along with City of Burning Shadows and the Weight of the Crown

Already read the sequel to the Weight of the Crown  ;D

I want to see the Fantasy Faction review for A Soul for Trouble

« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 05:32:27 PM by Eclipse »
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Rostum

• Strange Turnip Person and He Who Waits
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #88 on: February 04, 2016, 05:43:29 PM »

Oh wow I am Glad i logged in tonight.

That would be a remarkably silly thing to do, let a publisher who throws you a bone once in a while influence your scoring and risk your credibility with your blog readers.

From the other perspective Mark who has likely has forgotten more about statistical analysis than I ever intend to know would somehow not notice if scores out of 10 being skewed in favour of a book by 0NE reviewer out of how many was it again....oh ten. without being bothered to check scoring a nine and then nine fours would be unlikely to get you an invitation to play next year. I suspect all scoring from all reviewers would plot out to show a similar disparity range, but I am not going to do so.

I love a good conspiracy theory as much as the next paranoid depressive and am delighted you took the time to create an account and share, but even I would need a bit more to go on than the book that got picked up by a publisher was given a high score by a reviewer who has dealings with the publisher. Perhaps the reviewer put in a word and suggested they read it before anyone else got in there and snapped it up. Just a thought.

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
« Reply #89 on: February 05, 2016, 02:24:56 AM »
Just checked out various parts of the EBR blog and it is clear they are very hard markers. They stated they were going to approach this like agents and with their original twenty seven allocated that they would judge on first chapter or fifty pages before making their first choice for the final ten, which was The Thief, way back last March.

Also indicated they did not make a habit of reviewing these type of books.
EBR doesn’t typically accept self-pubbed work for review, but this was a a great opportunity to do so.

Having got down to final ten there is a comment in their review of City of Burning Shadow that the reviewer has only finished two, left the rest unfinished.  They may have applied another harsh agent-type  procedure in a similar way with these, but that's their prerogative. Presumably reason for those low scores, assessed on what they read before they gave up. The Thief and The City are the only two actually given a review on the blog so far.

I am assuming that because they and others have not given Shattered Sands a score so far they are still reading it, or planning to read it and finish it, there is still a while before March. It is a long book @Saraband, it is long book. ;D  ;D
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic