October 20, 2020, 07:07:09 AM

Author Topic: Final Round: Self-Published Fantasy Blog-Off  (Read 23494 times)

Offline Barbara J Webb

Re: Final Round: Self-Published Fantasy Blog-Off
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2015, 04:24:29 PM »
Just popping my nose in to say that if y'all did a book club of City of Burning Shadows, I'd be happy to do a Q&A at the end and chat with everyone!
Breaking the world one character at a time.

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2015, 05:15:49 PM »
Just popping my nose in to say that if y'all did a book club of City of Burning Shadows, I'd be happy to do a Q&A at the end and chat with everyone!

Hi, Barbara:

I'm the cursed lucky guy organizing the monthly book club these days. Happy to check with others about doing one on your book, or we can set up a read-along. Would love to have authors do Q&A. I'm also looking to give out author swag to people who post, even if it's for someone else's book.  :)
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2015, 02:57:10 PM »
Just finished City of Burning Shadows.

Holy... that was so damn good. Gave it 5 stars. I'm glad I picked it up. I did it because it didn't had sequels and I could use a lighter book before reading a really long one for a book club. Now I'm sad it doesn't have the sequels already out.

For those curious, it's fantasy, but also mixes with urban, sci-fi, mystery and suspense. Wasn't sure how all that would blend, but for me, it worked perfectly.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2015, 03:29:46 PM »

Holy... that was so damn good. Gave it 5 stars. I'm glad I picked it up. I did it because it didn't had sequels and I could use a lighter book before reading a really long one for a book club. Now I'm sad it doesn't have the sequels already out.

For those curious, it's fantasy, but also mixes with urban, sci-fi, mystery and suspense. Wasn't sure how all that would blend, but for me, it worked perfectly.

Really glad someone else has read it I thought it was awesome!  ;D
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2015, 07:36:21 PM »

Really glad someone else has read it I thought it was awesome!  ;D

Guys, you just cost me $4 bucks! Jeez, don't I have enough Kindle books waiting for me? I had to go download another?  :P
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Barbara J Webb

« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2015, 09:04:09 PM »

Thank you so much!!!

FYI, the sequel's in the final round of revision. If everything falls in line, should have a late February release.

And if anyone is curious what I find the most fun part of self-publishing--I've got the near-finished draft of my cover art for the new book, and I love it. There is nothing more awesome than getting to work directly with your artist to bring a vision to life.
Breaking the world one character at a time.

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2015, 09:20:12 PM »
And if anyone is curious what I find the most fun part of self-publishing--I've got the near-finished draft of my cover art for the new book, and I love it. There is nothing more awesome than getting to work directly with your artist to bring a vision to life.

This. So much THIS. :)

Offline Lanko

• Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2015, 07:19:31 PM »
Will go with Bloodrush, by Ben Galley as probably my last read of the year.

From the cover and blurb, it looks like Western mixed with Fantasy. Cowboys, guns and magic.

If you are interested, you can currently read it on Wattpad or get a free e-book by subscribing on the author's Facebook page.

Offline JRTroughton

« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2015, 10:16:50 PM »
Finished The Thief Who Pulled on Trouble's Braids it was okay I thought and I noticed more typos in this one than the others not interested in the sequels

Okay, that's a spectacular name for a book.
Currently reading this.

Yes, because of the ludicrously good title.

It's been fun so far.

Offline Lanko

• Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #54 on: December 24, 2015, 09:54:55 PM »
Finished Bloodrush, by Ben Galley.

Gave it 3 stars. From that title and cover I expected action to happen much sooner. It took like 60% or 65% for the first shot to be fired!

The prose was very well-written and editing and proofreading was also very well done. I liked.

I think this book would have worked better if it started as Merion already grown-up kicking ass, making us question a lot of things and then using the first 60% or so as a little flashback.
Think Roland Deschain and the ka-tet from The Dark Tower.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2015, 07:47:45 PM by Lanko »

Offline Lanko

• Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #55 on: December 27, 2015, 05:21:14 PM »
Still four days left. Went to check for something I could read in this period and got lucky.

Under a Colder Sun, by Greg James, is pretty short (215 pages) and is currently free.

Offline Mark Lawrence

« Reply #56 on: December 27, 2015, 08:01:24 PM »
Finished Bloodrush, by Ben Galley.

Gave it 3 stars. From that title and cover I expected action to happen much sooner. It took like 60% or 65% for the first shot to be fired!

The prose was very well-written and editing and proofreading was also very well done. I liked.

I think this book would have worked better if it started as Merion already grown-up kicking ass, making us question a lot of things and then using the first 60% or so as a little flashback.
Think Roland Deschain and the ka-tet from The Dark Tower.

I've also just finished this one. I agree with you, the prose was good and I enjoyed the read.

I reviewed it on Goodreads:
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1359826975

Offline Lanko

• Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #57 on: December 29, 2015, 07:59:08 PM »
Finished Under a Colder Sun, by Greg James.

Gave it 3 stars, but this could've easily been a 5.

Great description and prose, but the short amount of pages didn't allowed for proper characterization. Some things felt abrupt or even surreal because of this.

In the beginning I thought Khale was just overpowered and would be boring. It changed as I kept reading.
I have to say that this book is probably the only one here in the contest that has a main character like Khale, who is so much bigger than life and done in a good way.

Something so far I've missed were memorable quotes/actions/dialogues. I think this book had this. I really enjoyed chapter 16 and I think I could quote it in its entirety.

CoBS made me pause at times because of the tension, mystery and revelations.
UaCS had those awesome passages bigger than life that make you pause in wonder before resuming reading again. Although they were mostly Khale's past.

With a bit more revision, more character building and even one or two more battles would have easily gotten this 5 stars.

That said, I think I might check in the future the sequels for this one, despite its flaws.

If you got curious, it's currently free on Amazon.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 12:10:28 AM by Lanko »

Offline Lanko

• Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #58 on: January 02, 2016, 10:16:45 PM »
I'm still mulling over about 2 characters in Under a Colder Sun. Guess that's both a good and bad thing. Good because they had good insights and potential, and bad because it wasn't fully and explored in a satisfying way.

Anyway, decided to go with The Thief Who Pulled on Trouble's Braids, by Michael McClung. Because of the title and it's also the second shortest book. Also, beautiful cover.
Guess I should read by size now, don't know if I will be able to read the remaining 5 until March =\ would have liked to make my own list before the winners announcement.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 10:20:52 PM by Lanko »

Offline Rostum

• Strange Turnip Person and He Who Waits
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #59 on: January 03, 2016, 11:45:44 AM »
    Finished The Thief Who Pulled on Trouble's Braids
Okay, that's a spectacular name for a book.

It is but I guess micheal is a Tom Waits fan

[youtube]6nSA1gZ96eo[/youtube]