December 16, 2019, 11:11:23 AM

Author Topic: Final Round: Self-Published Fantasy Blog-Off  (Read 21952 times)

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
Final Round: Self-Published Fantasy Blog-Off
« on: October 15, 2015, 05:54:27 PM »
http://mark---lawrence.blogspot.co.uk/2015/08/final-round-self-published-fantasy-blog.html

Are any of you reading the last ten or will you wait for the winner? I've read two at the minute  I'm planning to read more hopefully if I don't get distracted  ;D
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Mr.J

• Anus Dracula formerly known as Arse Demon and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • Tweedy impertinence
    • View Profile
Re: Final Round: Self-Published Fantasy Blog-Off
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 06:12:56 PM »
I think there's maybe three of those I would consider reading based on their blurb, will have to read the free sample thing first though before I do.

Can't decide what I think about the Sovereignty one though, anyone read that?

Offline Eclipse

• Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2015, 06:32:50 PM »
I will be reading Sovereignty,If it wasn't in the last ten I wouldn't be reading it through as the author name Plague Jack in my view is a bit off putting.

Currently reading  The Thief Who Pulled on Trouble's Braids, only a short bit in but enjoying what I have read so far.

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Offline G_R_Matthews

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2015, 09:22:31 PM »
I think the final round has some good books in it.

I also think there are some good books that did not make it to the final round, but that's the nature of the competition and anything that gets people reading Indie books is a good thing!
Spoiler for Hiden:
(as long as they read mine too)

Shining a spotlight on books and authors that find it hard to even find a spot on the stage has been one of the most rewarding parts of the process.

Long may something like this continue :)
Staff Writer and ponderer of many things @ fantasy-faction

The Stone Road (4/5* Bookwormblues.net) : myBook.to/thestoneroad
Silent City : myBook.to/silentcity

www.grmatthews.com

Offline Eclipse

• Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2015, 12:35:37 PM »
Finished The Thief Who Pulled on Trouble's Braids it was okay I thought and I noticed more typos in this one than the others not interested in the sequels

Spoiler for Hiden:
Her friend  Holgren was over powered and I didn't feel Amra was never in that much danger with him by her side

Offline mattcolville

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2015, 06:15:36 PM »
I think there's maybe three of those I would consider reading based on their blurb, will have to read the free sample thing first though before I do.

Lemme tell you, writing the blurb for PRIEST was harder than writing the entire novel, and I don't think I came anywhere near getting it right.

This is the blurb;

For centuries the people of Ollghum Keep relied on the knights of the Green Order to protect them from the horrors of the haunted wood. Now, as before, a monstrous army marches on their small town. But this time, the Green Order is nowhere to be found.

The Bishop sends the priest Heden into the wood, to find out why. Arriving at their secret priory, Heden discovers their commander is dead, the remaining knights paralyzed with despair. They will not act, they will not tell him what happened, and with each hour the monstrous army gets closer to Ollghum Keep. Thousands will die if the priest fails.

When the knights start dying one by one, Heden must race to unravel the conspiracy of silence and save the knights from themselves so they can save the people they were sworn to guard.

That's terrible, I hate it. But I couldn't come up with anything better. This is just a symptom of the the larger problem that I wrote a book I have no idea how to describe. People ask me what the book's about? No idea how to answer. It's about this guy and the crap he deals with. I dunno.

I spent some time trying to write a query letter for agents, gave up. Same problem. You can't just tell an agent "I dunno man it's psychological and Jungian and no one ends up happy and there's just a lot of pain and no redemption." No one would buy that book.

But that first book is meant to be a kind on in-sequence prologue, the second and subsequent books are easier to describe. Check this out;

For years the king bottled up the city's crime by pitting the thieves' guilds against each other. A balance enforced by ruthless double-dealing, blackmail and a special cadre of secret watchmen.

Now, armed with a mysterious substance that turns men into ravening ghouls, the Count is prepared to upset the balance. Installing himself as Underking, master of all crime in the city.

Thief battles thief as the city threatens to erupt in violence.

Then Heden returns from the forest. Prepared to exact vengeance against the bishop, he finds Vanora caught up in the Count's lethal scheming. Before he can act, he must ensure her safety.

He can stand against the count, the guilds, even the bishop.

But he cannot do it alone.

Ratcatchers continues in volume two

THIEF

THAT is a blurb I am happy with! You might not think it's hooky, but I was super happy with it. And it has the added punch of, if you know who the titular thief is from reading the first book, you're like "OH YEAH! Team-up!" Which is kind of the whole point of this series.

So it's not that I can't write copy I'm happy with, it's that the first book is just weird.

Offline G_R_Matthews

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2015, 10:03:25 PM »
Blurbs are harder than the book itself :)

Say enough to get someone interested, but not too much that they will know the whole story!

I dislike blurbing, and realise I am not too good at it. Hence, I started mine with Sarah Chorn's 4/5* Star review - cheeky, I know.

As for Priest - I've read it and really enjoyed it. Blurbing it... well, yes, I can see the problem.

What do you do when you have faith, but not in humans?
What do you do when there has been a murder, but there are too many suspects?
What do you do when there is danger everywhere, but the army cannot respond?

Priest-busters!!

Sorry, couldn't resist :)

www.grmatthews.com

Offline JamesLatimer

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2015, 08:58:09 AM »
Lemme tell you, writing the blurb for PRIEST was harder than writing the entire novel, and I don't think I came anywhere near getting it right.
IDK, I found the PRIEST blurb compelling whereas the second has a few potential turn-offs for me. Goes to show how hard it is to write a blurb that appeals to everyone!

Definitely on my digital TBR.

Offline Eclipse

• Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2015, 05:27:36 PM »
Ouch soul for trouble got 3.5 from Bookworm Blue

I'm not one for  romance in my fantasy and it doesn't appeal to my tastes but it does seem a bit harsh to me when the other 4 reviewers so far have given it 7/ 10 and 6/10

can anyone find the review for Soul for Trouble from Fantasy Book Critic tried looking for it but can't see it thanks

« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 05:45:26 PM by Eclipse »

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2015, 06:15:44 PM »
Hey, Eclipse, Mark's page has got the links to all reviews (when you click the score).
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Eclipse

• Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2015, 06:18:00 PM »
Hey, Eclipse, Mark's page has got the links to all reviews (when you click the score).

I wished I know that earlier haha thank you

Offline G_R_Matthews

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2015, 06:25:00 PM »
The reviews are the opinions of the reviewer... just as Amazon and Goodreads reviews are... mostly.

I think Sarah was clear why she did not like the book and fair in her critique. It is all down to the personal taste of the reviewer.

On the other side, a lot of reviews were around the 7 and 8 mark. Nothing to tell them apart.

As the bloggers get through the ones that appealed to them first, I think we are likely to see scores fall.

*edited because I typed it on my phone and didn't notice the appalling spelling :)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 07:38:39 PM by G_R_Matthews »

www.grmatthews.com

Offline Eclipse

• Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2015, 06:29:43 PM »
The reviews are the opinions of the reviewer... just as a.axon and goodreads reviews are... mostly.

I think Sarah was clear why she did not like the book and fair in her critique. It is all down to the personal taste of the reviewer.

On the other side, a lot of reviews were around the 7 and 8 mark. Nothing to tell them apart.

As the bloggers get through the ones that appealled to them first, I think we are likely to see scores fall.

That's no problem I thought the review was good, just surprised at the first really low score.It  be boring if everyone liked the same book and I would probably give it the same score as Sarah as it seems more romance then fantasy  :)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 06:52:03 PM by Eclipse »

Offline Mark Lawrence

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2015, 06:45:01 PM »
can anyone find the review for Soul for Trouble from Fantasy Book Critic tried looking for it but can't see it thanks

Just click the score on the table and it takes you to the connected review.

http://mark---lawrence.blogspot.co.uk/2015/08/final-round-self-published-fantasy-blog.html

Offline Hedin

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2015, 06:46:40 PM »

Just click the score on the table and it takes you to the connected review.

FYI - The FBC review link for Soul For Trouble is going to your Kickstarter.