October 25, 2020, 01:32:31 AM

Author Topic: Final Round: Self-Published Fantasy Blog-Off  (Read 23519 times)

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
Re: Final Round: Self-Published Fantasy Blog-Off
« Reply #105 on: February 27, 2016, 01:51:20 PM »
Shattered Sands was our third favourite, we felt that the depth of the world, twists and complexities justified this. Also, considering the author was a non-native, the prose is fluent and adds to the whole experience which makes this book seem far shorter than the tome it actually is. I think Sands left you feeling that this book 'could' have been the winner with a little more work. I'm not sure if any of the others left us feeling that same way (although there were plenty of others we thoroughly enjoyed).

Wahey @Saraband!
This is great, thanks Marc,

Miguel, now you have to write book 2 :D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #106 on: February 27, 2016, 02:20:54 PM »
Sands was my second favourite of the ten, my favourite was CoBS  ;D and I found two review sites who seem to mostly like the same books as me The fictional hangout and Fantasy book review so glad I read all ten books  ;D

and I've already read the sequel to the Weight of the Crown my third favourite

@Raptori if you remove the highest and lowest score from the results do we get any changes?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 02:31:52 PM by Eclipse »
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • BrawBlether
« Reply #107 on: February 27, 2016, 03:42:24 PM »
The Self-Published Fantasy Blog Off has come to an end. Huge congratulations to the winner. We choose Ben Galley's BloodRush as our favourite, with The Thief Who Pulled On Trouble's Braids a VERY close second (we gave them the same score, but felt Ben's was a little more original and finished stronger - leaving us dying to pick up the sequel). Shattered Sands was our third favourite, we felt that the depth of the world, twists and complexities justified this. Also, considering the author was a non-native, the prose is fluent and adds to the whole experience which makes this book seem far shorter than the tome it actually is. I think Sands left you feeling that this book 'could' have been the winner with a little more work. I'm not sure if any of the others left us feeling that same way (although there were plenty of others we thoroughly enjoyed).

http://mark---lawrence.blogspot.co.uk/2016/02/the-self-published-fantasy-blog-off.html

Those are some very kind comments Marc (@Overlord), thanks so much  :) I'll admit that the one review I have been looking forward to the most is by Fantasy Faction. I joined these forums right after I finished Shattered Sands, but they still had a significant impact on the book as I learned so much from here which I went on to incorporate in my rewritings of the first drafts.

I'm excited to say that I have taken in most of the reviews and comments about my book, and will now undergo a significant process to try and improve, to the best of my ability, the bones of what I already have. This cannot go without thanking the various people from these forums who were kind enough to share their thoughts in the Read Along thread, or all the messages that I received privately. @Eclipse, @Rostum, @Jmack, @Doctor_Chill and @Lady_Ty, I cannot tell you how humbled I am by the generosity of your time and advice in regards to my book. @ScarletBea, who's also been my pen pal for a long time now, and @Idlewilder, who's now my fellow countryman and also kind enough to spend part of his time helping me.

Also goes without saying that this wouldn't all be happening if Mark Lawrence hadn't put it together, so I'm very grateful to him too.

So, all in all, I couldn't be happier with the experience. Reaching the top 10 was a superb experience, and it gave me a much needed boost for my confidence at this point. It has also given me the motivation to address Shattered Sands in order to make it better, before going on this journey.  :)
https://brawblether.com

"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns

Offline Eurog

« Reply #108 on: February 27, 2016, 03:52:12 PM »
Wow, glad to know how much I mattered by not being mentioned, @Saraband...  :P

Online ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #109 on: February 27, 2016, 04:14:02 PM »
Wow, glad to know how much I mattered by not being mentioned, @Saraband...  :P
You're from home-home, not FF-home
He can tell you all these sweet things personally, plus kisses and all
 ;D
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 04:17:04 PM by ScarletBea »

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #110 on: February 27, 2016, 04:18:24 PM »
Can I ask a question for @Barbara J Webb

In your novel your MC is Black which is great the more diversity we have in fantasy can only be good, what made you write a character of the opposite sex and colour to you was it to push yourself as a writer? also in this world do people suffer from Prejudice for having different skin tones or is it's not much of a big deal as Humans have to deal with non-humans in your world?

P.s I love your cover for City of Burning Shadows
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Barbara J Webb

« Reply #111 on: February 27, 2016, 06:45:01 PM »
Can I ask a question for @Barbara J Webb

In your novel your MC is Black which is great the more diversity we have in fantasy can only be good, what made you write a character of the opposite sex and colour to you was it to push yourself as a writer? also in this world do people suffer from Prejudice for having different skin tones or is it's not much of a big deal as Humans have to deal with non-humans in your world?

P.s I love your cover for City of Burning Shadows

What a great question!

So this is actually a topic I've put a lot of thought into, so I will try not to ramble on for days with my answer.

Gender first--writing guys is easy. It's still a sad truth that most of the media we consume is made primarily of male characters, so I grew up immersed in stories by and about men. (This is why, in general, women have an easier time writing men than the reverse. I'd even go a step forward and say women suffer from a similar difficulty in writing solid female characters, as we all grew up in the same unbalanced representational culture. Women have their own experience to draw on, but no one woman is all women, so we're still working from a handicap.)

As for why he's a person of color--yes, diversity, but also worldbuilding. In our world, if you take the population of the world as a whole, white people are the minority. And I'm tired of fantasy settings that are white white white, especially when I've read some fun research talking about how whiteness was kind of an accident tied to (and this is REALLY simplified) the weird climate of Europe and how it made grain and cows easier to grow.

So my starting premise for this world was that the majority of people in the world, like our world, were people of color. So when it came time to populate Miroc, I decided the overwhelming majority of people in this part of the world were black.

As far as skin-color based prejudice, there's nothing exactly like what exists on Earth, because--for several reasons--there's not a history of colonialism. There was no British Empire. There was never a slave trade. A lot of the cultural and tribal triggers of our world never happened.

On the other hand, I believe humans are a tribal sort of people. We instinctively like people who are like us and mistrust people who aren't. The presence of the other races doesn't automatically unify humans into one big happy family. Both the person who looks like a bird and the person who has really different skin are obviously not my people, and so there's going to be prejudice. Just not the systematic racism that exists, for example, in modern America.

And thanks on the cover! I really love it too. Jordan Grimmer is my artist, and he's simply amazing.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 06:57:23 PM by Barbara J Webb »
Breaking the world one character at a time.

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
« Reply #112 on: February 27, 2016, 08:08:35 PM »
@Raptori if you remove the highest and lowest score from the results do we get any changes?
If you remove the highest and lowest score from each story, there are no changes to the order at all, weirdly enough, except that City of Burning Shadows, Sins of a Sovereignty, and What Remains of Heroes would all be tied.

Removing the highest and lowest scores from each reviewer doesn't really work, since several gave the same rating to multiple stories. It doesn't make sense to remove it from only one of them, and removing any that equal their highext/lowest rating means that some stories have full sets of ratings while others have only six or so - Blood Rush only has four - so the comparison loses any real meaning.
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #113 on: February 27, 2016, 09:03:01 PM »
Where exactly is the website where all this is tracked?
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #114 on: February 27, 2016, 09:54:18 PM »
Where exactly is the website where all this is tracked?

I think the link is above as well in Overlord's post (unless I am not understanding what you are looking for).
http://mark---lawrence.blogspot.co.uk/2016/02/the-self-published-fantasy-blog-off.html

Anyway, it was interesting watching all this. And also I think it is interesting how 40% picked Ben Galley's book as their favorite. Honestly, I almost feel like might carry a bit more weight for me than how the actual winner was selected, but not by much.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Online ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #115 on: February 27, 2016, 09:56:57 PM »
And also I think it is interesting how 40% picked Ben Galley's book as their favorite. Honestly, I almost feel like might carry a bit more weight for me than how the actual winner was selected, but not by much.
I thought this too, when I was checking how many 'this was my favourite' each book had :)

Offline G_R_Matthews

« Reply #116 on: March 06, 2016, 12:55:34 PM »
I read quite a few of the #SPFBO books, maybe 17 or 18 (I know not even 10% of all those entered) and there were some I liked that didn't make it through the first round or got through and didn't win;

Black Cross by J P Ashman
Lady of the Helm by T O Munro
Exile by James Cormier
Fae, The Wild Hunt by Graham Austin-King
City of Burning Shadows by Barbara Webb
Priest by Matt Collville

and a cheeky nod to another book too :)

I blogged, wrote a little about it here: http://bit.ly/1R0ZeQu

There are some really good self-pub books out there. Some classic in tone, some that push a boundary or two, and most of them cost less than a cup of coffee.

Anyway, from the SPFBO process those above are my favourites so far. I am going to read Ben's soon (have to see how he beat mine to the punch (both 4/5* from Bookwormblues, but he edged it... the git :) ) and then Michael's.

Staff Writer and ponderer of many things @ fantasy-faction

The Stone Road (4/5* Bookwormblues.net) : myBook.to/thestoneroad
Silent City : myBook.to/silentcity

www.grmatthews.com

Offline Mark Lawrence

« Reply #117 on: March 10, 2016, 12:56:48 PM »
There's an Ask Me Anything about the SPFBO on reddit right now.

I'm hoping the authors and bloggers will answer the questions, not me. So go - ask - answer!

https://www.reddit.com/r/Fantasy/comments/49t7tl/hi_reddit_we_are_the_bloggers_and_authors_of_the/

Offline Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • BrawBlether
« Reply #118 on: March 10, 2016, 01:01:41 PM »
There's an Ask Me Anything about the SPFBO on reddit right now.

I'm hoping the authors and bloggers will answer the questions, not me. So go - ask - answer!

https://www.reddit.com/r/Fantasy/comments/49t7tl/hi_reddit_we_are_the_bloggers_and_authors_of_the/

Time to finally create that Reddit account!  ;)
https://brawblether.com

"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns

Offline JamesLatimer

« Reply #119 on: March 10, 2016, 03:41:32 PM »
Time to finally create that Reddit account!  ;)
Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate...