December 07, 2019, 04:04:48 AM

Author Topic: FINAL BEST BOOKS OF 2015 THREAD. NOMINATE! NOMINATE! NOMINATE!  (Read 8114 times)

Offline Overlord

FINAL BEST BOOKS OF 2015 THREAD. NOMINATE! NOMINATE! NOMINATE!
« on: December 11, 2015, 09:55:10 AM »
Currently working on our 'best books of 2015' post. Would love to hear what books you guys have found to be the best titles published in 2015 and which books you'd recommend to readers across the globe if you could :)

A top 3, 5 or 10 would be good, depending on your reading habits :)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 09:57:04 AM by Overlord »
Founder: http://fantasy-faction.com
Editor: Fantasy-Faction Anthology (Aug 2014)
Author: "Son of…" in 1853 (2013)
Host: Fantasy-Faction's Grim Gathering

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
Re: FINAL BEST BOOKS OF 2015 THREAD. NOMINATE! NOMINATE! NOMINATE!
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 10:07:13 AM »
Hmmm I don't read many books on the actual publication year... (actually the 5 below were more than I expected)
I assume you mean published for the very first time in 2015? Not if they came out on paperback this year?
Then mine are:

1. The liar's key - Mark Lawrence
2. The iron ghost - Jen Williams
3. The vagrant - Peter Newman
4. Swords and scoundrels - Julian Knight
5. The skull throne - Peter V. Brett

And now I know that this one appeared in the 'expected for 2015', but it was actually published in 2014, according to my records (I can't check, I read it from the library):
Smiler's fair - Rebecca Levene
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 11:00:18 AM »
I've read quite a few, but there were three which really stood out:

1. Fool's Quest by Robin Hobb
2. Shadows of Self by Brandon Sanderson
3. The Autumn Republic by Brian McClellan
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
FINAL BEST BOOKS OF 2015 THREAD. NOMINATE! NOMINATE! NOMINATE!
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 11:51:05 AM »
Let's not forget Terry Pratchett's The Shepherd's Crown.
It's noticeable that he didn't have enough time to go over it as often as he did with his other books - some parts are a bit rough or simple - but it's still a strong book.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 07:13:29 PM by xiagan »
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2015, 12:36:46 PM »
I've only read one Fantasy book published this year, so I guess I'll nominate it. Really enjoyed it though.
The Skull Throne by Peter V. Brett
I'll make it to those other awesome series eventually.

Offline ClintACK

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2015, 04:23:02 PM »
Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality.  (http://hpmor.com)

It's fan-fiction, and the best thing I've read in a long while.  It's Harry Potter meets Godel, Escher, Bach -- an alternate-history where Harry's Aunt Petunia *doesn't* hate and resent magic and marries a hyper-rational math professor.

It was published as a web serial with 122 parts and the final chapter was published in March of this year, so I think it counts.

Offline Hedin

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2015, 04:28:48 PM »

It's fan-fiction, and the best thing I've read in a long while.  It's Harry Potter meets Godel, Escher, Bach -- an alternate-history where Harry's Aunt Petunia *doesn't* hate and resent magic and marries a hyper-rational math professor.

It was published as a web serial with 122 parts and the final chapter was published in March of this year, so I think it counts.

Was that the one where the author said he wouldn't release the next chapter unless people could figure out how Harry got out of a certain situation with Voldemort?  I never read the serial but if its the same one I know several people who did and I remember them being angry about the no-release thing but I don't recall hear what happened with it.

Offline ClintACK

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2015, 04:49:57 PM »

Was that the one where the author said he wouldn't release the next chapter unless people could figure out how Harry got out of a certain situation with Voldemort?  I never read the serial but if its the same one I know several people who did and I remember them being angry about the no-release thing but I don't recall hear what happened with it.

There was definitely a bit about that.  But I was fortunate enough to discover the whole thing *after* it was all written.  I took ten minutes or so to think about it when I got to that stage, and definitely didn't think of what he came up with to resolve the situation, though the exercise was interesting.

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2015, 06:25:09 PM »
I don't seem to read books when there are first released often

I pick  The Rise of the Automated Aristocrats: A Burton & Swinburne Adventure (Burton & Swinburne #6)
by Mark Hodder

The final book was just perfect after being a disappointed with an earlier book in the series.Book 6 is a great ending to the series also I love the cover art!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 06:26:52 PM by Eclipse »
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Needs a Cheesy Quest Fantasy baa-aadly
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2015, 06:43:24 PM »
Shadows of Self by Brandon Sanderson.

The Aeronaut's Windlass by Jim Butcher.

The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemisin.

The Autumn Republic by Brian McClellan.

The Providence of Fire by Brian Staveley.

Firefight by Brandon Sanderson.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2015, 06:44:31 PM »
The Rise of the Automated Aristocrats: A Burton & Swinburne Adventure (Burton & Swinburne #6)
by Mark Hodder

The final book was just perfect after being a disappointed with an earlier book in the series.Book 6 is a great ending to the series also I love the cover art!
I've just realised I haven't read this one yet, but checked my library catalogue and it seems to have it (on loan at the moment, so I'll keep an eye out for it).
I'm glad you say it gets better and is a fit ending :)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2015, 10:27:04 PM »
Firefight by Brandon Sanderson.
Oh yeah. I forgot that one was released this year. Good choice.

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2015, 10:47:57 PM »
I'll do a proper post on my blog at the end of the year (hey there's still 3 weeks to go, I could read something amazing between now and then), but if I exclude the novellas I think I can throw a few books in the ring here. I'm also only doing books that were released fairly recently.

Soda Pop Soldier by Nick Cole, very strong Ready Player One feel to this. About an ace gamer, who finds out that the fights he regularly participates in online are more real and for higher stakes than he ever actually imagined. Highly entertaining and the online fight scenes are amazing.

The Mechanical by Ian Tregillis, I adored Tregillis's Milkweed triptych, and this the first book in The Alchemy Wars is every bit as captivating. Set in an alternate history, where the Netherlands through their ability to create armies of Clakkers (automatons) to do all their menial labour and fight their battles have taken over the world. The story follows one Clakker; Jax, who has somehow broken his conditioning and is trying lead rebellion against his overlords. I'm currently reading the second book in the series (The Rising) and it's looking like Tregillis has done it again!

Crooked by Austin Grossman. I love these odd fictional autobiographies that Grossman writes, Soon I Will Be Invincible remains my favourite, but Crooked gave it a run for it's money. Imagine if Richard Nixon wasn't really just a dodgy politician, but was actually the frontline in a war fighting to protect humanity from an army of other dimensional demons.

The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet by Becky Chambers. Hands down the best thing I've read this year. I don't need to say much more about this, we've discussed it on the forum. Read it!

Welcome to Night Vale by Joseph Fink and Jeffrey Cranor. First it was a podcast and then it became a book. I didn't think books could get much weirder than John Dies at the End, I was wrong. This one topped that by a long way. I can't even attempt to describe it really. It's exceedingly odd, but also addictive. I think my favourite character was Josh, the shape shifting teenager, although I was also rather partial to the Erikas, all of them.

I have others, but that's my 5 for this.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2015, 11:16:02 PM »
My to-read list is so long that I rarely get to books in the year they're published (so sad; I need to work on that) but here are a few that I did manage, and that I loved:

Persona by Genevieve Valentine - a brilliantly paced, elegantly written thriller that juuuust stretches some current trends in technology and society (in this case, celebrity culture, beauty pageants, spin and politics, and the permanently on news cycle) and asks that most important spec-fic question: given this, what does it mean to be human?

Full Fathom Five by Max Gladstone - the second latest Craft Sequence installment (there's been another one in 2015 as well, but I haven't got to it), it's also a fascinating novel in its own right, exploring what faith means for humanity, how necessary it is, how powerful, how dangerous. Plus warrior golems, marauding squid, magical pools, brutal dreamwalking and slam poetry.

The Grace of Kings by Ken Liu - genuinely epic and absolutely eschewing the flab that can so often accompany big fat fantasy. There is so much story, and the characters grow and develop so much, faced with real choices and no easy answers.

Also I haven't managed to read NK Jemisin's The Fifth Season yet, but I am absolutely certain that it would be on this list if I had. That woman is a master storyteller, and everything I read about this book makes me even more excited to finally start it.

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Needs a Cheesy Quest Fantasy baa-aadly
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2015, 02:40:47 AM »
Also I haven't managed to read NK Jemisin's The Fifth Season yet, but I am absolutely certain that it would be on this list if I had. That woman is a master storyteller, and everything I read about this book makes me even more excited to finally start it.

I've read two of her Inheritance books and The Fifth Season, and I think The Fifth Season is in completely different league. I liked the other two, but not nearly as much.