March 29, 2020, 07:05:24 AM

Author Topic: FF is looking for the best books of 2019  (Read 1908 times)

Offline Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Valheru
  • Bookworm first, human second.
    • View Profile
Re: FF is looking for the best books of 2019
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2020, 10:08:29 AM »
I've read 4, with 3 more planned to read.
A lot there that I haven't heard of, bunch of self published and a fair few sequels to books I didn't enjoy.
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2020, 11:02:04 AM »
I’ve read 7, with about 4 or 5 more in my tbr pile or things I intend to read. The rest I’ve either not heard or have no interest in.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2020, 11:23:11 AM »
It’s an uninspiring list in my opinion, When the 2019 goodread list is better then the F-F list something has gone wrong  ;)

The F-F list was something to look forward to now it’s just forgettable.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 11:48:55 AM by Eclipse »
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Yora

« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2020, 02:08:52 PM »
Looking at the list, the thing that pleases me the most is that the edited photographs as cover art seem to have finally disappeared. I always thought they all look terrible and don't distinguish the book. These covers are all striking and memorable.
We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on a big tower of other dwarves.

Beneath the Leaves of Kaendor

Offline G_R_Matthews

« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2020, 06:30:47 PM »
It’s an uninspiring list in my opinion, When the 2019 goodread list is better then the F-F list something has gone wrong  ;)

The F-F list was something to look forward to now it’s just forgettable.

It is just a list like any other (even though I am 47th on it - prob because the only ones who read it are actually in that group). It is Facebook and therefore open to the world, with 13.2K members who can vote so of course it is a popularity contest - the most popular books, the ones that everyone had read are at the top. And bloody well done to those authors who have written a book that is popular and enjoyed by thousands!

If you haven't read M L Wang's Sword of Kaigen you are really missing out on a fantastic book - almost literary fantasy fiction. I've read it and though it is some 650 pages, it didn't feel like it - I really enjoyed it. One of the best books I read last year.

There could be other lists - based on two people's opinion, or a small group, or we could have a committee set up to vote, or have everyone fill in a form, or make sure they attend an event (if we ever run one) to be eligible to vote... etc etc etc - you'll never get everyone to agree :) Did I mention I was 47th?

Folks complained about the books to get people into fantasy too... it is all subjective.

Wheel of Time comes up, as does Malazan (shudder), Sanderson, Belgariad does the rounds and on and on - its a world of people out there finding fantasy and science fiction - and good on them for taking a chance (and I wouldn't want them to start with WoT, but it is what people find).

I think the important point is (I was 47th) it is just a list put together by a mass of people who felt like voting for a book they had read... no more, no less :)
Staff Writer and ponderer of many things @ fantasy-faction

The Stone Road (4/5* Bookwormblues.net) : myBook.to/thestoneroad
Silent City : myBook.to/silentcity

www.grmatthews.com

Online Bender

« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2020, 07:50:42 PM »
Honestly Sword of Kaigen is getting overrated. It was a very confused book both in writing and content. The world is never explained and has a mix of modern (planes, radio) and magic with no details on how they interact/coexist and not really practical if you think beyond the obvious.

Misaki could have been a superstar, yet was grossly mishandled as a character. And the last 20% of the book where Robin returns was totally unnecessary soap opera which drags down what couple have been a poetic ending.

Gideon the Ninth was multitude better than Kaigen.

Edit: Not saying Kaigen is a bad book at all. It is a good book, probably a 6 (maybe even 7) out of 10 but that's it.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2020, 07:54:17 PM »
I've only read 2, but seemed like some interesting books on the list. And Mark Lawrence is still a big FF fave I see. Not sure any list has ever been essential - I thought it looked a decent enough list of suggestions of 2019 books to read.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2020, 02:19:19 AM »
I've read five of those, with another bundle of them still on my to-read list (or later books in series or from authors whose first thing is on my to-read list... I am so behind - and the usual bunch of authors who I accept lots of other people like but who I don't, no big deal). But there are certainly a bundle I have never even heard mention of. Alas none that look like my sort of thing; it's always fun to discover a new author.

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2020, 07:53:55 AM »
I've read two, God of Broken Things and Darkdawn. Both great books. Have heard of many others but they're not really my taste, unfortunately.

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2020, 07:55:25 AM »
I think any list of books will be a combination of 1. Have read, 2. Already know I want to read, 3. Oh this looks interesting, maybe I'll read, 4. Not for me, 5. Oh no, what are they thinking, yuk!

Everyone wants the list to contain just 1-3, but of course since people are different, there will always be 4-5. I guess this time the balance leant more towards those 4-5 that nobody wants, hehe - and of course the books in those categories will be different for different people too
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline G_R_Matthews

« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2020, 05:21:21 PM »
Not sure any list has ever been essential.

Too true!

www.grmatthews.com

Offline G_R_Matthews

« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2020, 05:21:58 PM »
I think any list of books will be a combination of 1. Have read, 2. Already know I want to read, 3. Oh this looks interesting, maybe I'll read, 4. Not for me, 5. Oh no, what are they thinking, yuk!

Everyone wants the list to contain just 1-3, but of course since people are different, there will always be 4-5. I guess this time the balance leant more towards those 4-5 that nobody wants, hehe - and of course the books in those categories will be different for different people too

You are very wise! (I've always said so!)

www.grmatthews.com

Online Bender

« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2020, 12:06:24 AM »
God of Broken Things and Gideon the Ninth are my standout favourites!
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6