May 30, 2020, 09:15:22 AM

Author Topic: Favourite Tweeting Author?  (Read 3730 times)

Offline Overlord

Favourite Tweeting Author?
« on: March 09, 2014, 09:39:56 AM »
If you could choose only one or two authors to follow on Twitter who would it be?

For me it is a close call between Sam Sykes and Joe Abercrombie.

What I love about Sam's Tweets is that he doesn't feel he has to tweet about writing… He tweets in a very down-to-Earth and unmoderated manner and if writing happens to be on his mind then he'll tweet about it. His tweets range from home life (mainly his dogs) to the state of the genre to reading to writing and, mostly, just random and fun stuff. I can pretty much guarantee that each morning, whilst scrolling through his tweets from the previous days I'll find something that will make me laugh and something that'll make me not in appreciation. @SamSykesSwears if you're not following him already.

Joe's Twitter feed is similar, although I'd say more regularly analytical of 'fandom'. I think Joe tweets more mindfully aware of his place in the genre and ensures his Twitter feed is fairly professional (although that doesn't stop him speaking his mind). Each tweet from Joe feels crafted to ensure its full of the maximum amount of wit and cynicism you'll find in his work - it's makes fantastic reading. Probably my favourite part of all of Joe's tweeting though is his interactions with other authors. Joe is well known throughout writing circles and knows the vast majority of authors - his poking fun, responding to and just generally chatting with other authors about his/their work is most insightful. @LordGrimdark is Joe's handle.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 09:46:19 AM by Overlord »
Founder: http://fantasy-faction.com
Editor: Fantasy-Faction Anthology (Aug 2014)
Author: "Son of…" in 1853 (2013)
Host: Fantasy-Faction's Grim Gathering

Offline Effing_Rainbow

Re: Favourite Tweeting Author?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 10:22:53 AM »
Top of my tweeting list is Chuck Wendig (@ChuckWendig). His regular blog posts on writing are always worth a read, but even if he's not tweeting about those his feed is full of awesomely funny stuff. :D

Offline Teeny

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 10:26:22 AM »
I agree, although I specifically like tweets between Joe Abercrombie and Sam Sykes, they rip it out of each other on a daily basis, it's great to watch.

John Scalzi (@scalzi) and Pat Rothfuss (@patrickrothfuss) are also great to follow. Their tweets really show them as individuals unlike a lot of 'verified' twitter accounts which are only used for promotion. Like Sam Sykes they often tweet about pretty much anything that interests them or makes them laugh, it's refreshing. My favourite thing about following authors on twitter is that it makes the whole fantasy community feel much more connected, authors are no longer just a name on  the spine, they are real people with interesting lives and opinions.
@Teenymcweeny

Offline sennydreadful

• Ambient Mage
  • Fantasy Writer and X-Box Obsessive
    • View Profile
    • sennydreadful.com
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 11:01:46 AM »
Another vote for Sam Sykes  - I love his sense of humour, and as an aside his blog posts are often very wise. Also, photos of his pug.
The Copper Promise

http://sennydreadful.co.uk/

Offline Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • View Profile
    • BrawBlether
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 05:11:54 PM »
Another vote for Sam Sykes  - I love his sense of humour, and as an aside his blog posts are often very wise. Also, photos of his pug.

This, this, this.
https://brawblether.com

"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns

Offline ACSmyth

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2014, 05:46:45 PM »
I love Scott Lynch's tweets. He makes me laugh more than any other author I've found on Twitter. And some of the exchanges between him and Elizabeth Bear are priceless. When you add Joe Abercrombie into that mix, it can get pretty hilarious.

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2014, 10:11:59 PM »
I quite like Paul Cornell's twitter feed.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline shep5377

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2014, 08:58:40 PM »
Top of my tweeting list is Chuck Wendig (@ChuckWendig). His regular blog posts on writing are always worth a read, but even if he's not tweeting about those his feed is full of awesomely funny stuff. :D

I agree with Effing, Chuck is very funny sometimes, and his bite size tips are great for me.

I think Myke Cole does a great job as well, I really enjoy his 'straight laced' sense of humour, but also he does some genuinely astonishing things, like giving his books, at his own cost, to people who can't afford them, or the 30 minute skype tutorials he gives out. All of that is done via his twitter feed which is great to watch.

Offline CptNemo

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2014, 11:13:55 PM »