January 18, 2020, 12:37:41 PM

Author Topic: Favorite Standalone Book  (Read 10567 times)

Offline cupiscent

Re: Favorite Standalone Book
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2019, 09:20:50 AM »
Fun to revisit this four years after I last commented. :)

+1 on the Goblin Emperor rec. Great book.
+1 on The Library at Mount Char. Saw RF Kuang getting her mind blown by that on twitter the other day. :D

How the heck was Swordspoint not on this list already? I mean, there are sequels/prequels, but that novel is totally stand-alone.

I think I'd like to add
+ Spinning Silver by Naomi Novik
+ Tooth and Claw by Jo Walton (Jane Austen, but dragons. No, not with dragons; the characters ARE dragons)
+ We Rule The Night by Claire Eliza Bartlett, fantasy-world magical Soviet Nightwitches
+ Priory of the Orange Tree by Samantha Shannon, epic but stand-alone, so satisfying
+ The Beautiful Ones by Silvia Moreno-Garcia, Dangerous Liaisons with telekinesis, so elegant, so fraught

Online NedMarcus

« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2019, 12:29:30 PM »
Apart from The Ocean at the End of the Lane, another favourite (my memory jogged by other posts) is The Goblin Emperor by Katherine Addison.

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2019, 03:44:13 AM »
I'd concur with some of @cupiscent's picks and add some of my own. It's kind of hard to find a fantasy book in this category, though. The concepts largely seem to lend themselves to series.
Meddling Kids by Edgar Cantero.
Radiance and Space Opera by Cat Valente, both science fiction.
My Best Friend's Exorcism by Grady Hendrix.
Crooked by Austin Grossman.
The two Valente's aside, the others are better classified as horror, oh and if I'm going that route then Stephen King's It also has to be in this list.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Neveesandeh

« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2019, 09:00:04 AM »
I'd go with Strange and Norrell, and Perdido Street Station, if the Bas Lang books count as standalones.