November 22, 2019, 04:21:38 PM

Author Topic: Favorite Fantasy Series  (Read 15366 times)

Offline Lyz

Re: Favorite Fantasy Series
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2011, 03:00:22 PM »
My rule was that there had to be at least three books so far in the series, so no Demon Cycle, Stormlight or Kingkiller for me.

I suppose that's fair, although Brett and Rothfuss are working on their third novels (that's correct, right? I'm not just hearing things?).

One more I forgot to mention: The Myst series of books is also one of my favorites. :)

Brett has released 4 books in that series (2 full length, 2 novellas) and Rothfuss two books... in all there are more words in the two main books by Brett and Rothfuss than in most series' have in four books :P

More is not always better. Rothfuss's story went nowhere, and novellas aren't part of the series as such are they?

I'd forgotten the novellas in Brett's story. But yes, they're connected to the series, telling other stories about the main characters.
Elizabeth Mace Giosia. Call me Lyz. 29. Leo. Fantasy Faction Staff Member, Reviews. Owner of Giosia Photography and Stoneheart Cosplay

Need a review for your novel? Email me at emgiosia@gmail.com!

Offline Overlord

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2011, 03:32:16 PM »
My rule was that there had to be at least three books so far in the series, so no Demon Cycle, Stormlight or Kingkiller for me.

I suppose that's fair, although Brett and Rothfuss are working on their third novels (that's correct, right? I'm not just hearing things?).

One more I forgot to mention: The Myst series of books is also one of my favorites. :)

Brett has released 4 books in that series (2 full length, 2 novellas) and Rothfuss two books... in all there are more words in the two main books by Brett and Rothfuss than in most series' have in four books :P

More is not always better. Rothfuss's story went nowhere, and novellas aren't part of the series as such are they?

I'd forgotten the novellas in Brett's story. But yes, they're connected to the series, telling other stories about the main characters.

Yes they are - they give a greater look at how Arlen became the way he is... i.e. seeing people who remind him of his parent's, how lowly people value love, etc.
Founder: http://fantasy-faction.com
Editor: Fantasy-Faction Anthology (Aug 2014)
Author: "Son of…" in 1853 (2013)
Host: Fantasy-Faction's Grim Gathering

Offline Noona

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2011, 03:39:21 PM »
In no order -
Discworld by Terry Pratchett
Kushiel's Legacy by Jacqueline Carey
Symphony of Ages by Elizabeth Haydon
The Dark Tower by Stephen King (this might not last as I only read it a couple of months ago)
The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher (although I've not read them all yet)
Lord of the Rings by Tolkein
Old Kingdom Trilogy by Garth Nix (YA)
Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer (YA)

With honourable mention to Kingkiller Chronicles and Gentleman Bastard (I'm liking the three books rule!)

Offline Tegh

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2011, 12:40:29 AM »
I'll try to list my top five in order...any more then that and you run into the "fond" category but not quite "favorite" lol.

1. Lord of the Rings (it was the first series i read in fantasy and the precursor for all that followed=Auto win)
2. Dark Materia
3. The old Dragon Lance novels by Margret Weiss and Tracy Hickman
4. The crimson Shadow tril by R.A. Salv (basically anything older writing of his was awesome before Drizzt went overboard)
5. The Wheel of Time

There are many others, but those are, in my book, the best of the best ;)
If any are interested in a small sample of my writing...

http://www.fictionpress.com/u/694214/Tegh

Offline silversun

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2011, 02:47:00 PM »
In no order:

1. Realm of the Elderlings
2. Mistborn
3. Night Angel
4. A Song of Ice and Fire
5. Firebringer Trilogy (Meredith Ann Pierce)
      ^--- amazing basically unknown YA series

Offline JenniferQuail

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2012, 08:31:43 PM »
The Firebringer Trilogy by Meredith Ann Pierce
The Johnny Dixon Mysteries by John Bellairs (ie the ones actually written solely by Bellairs and published in his lifetime)
A Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin
The Elenium by David Eddings
The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkein

(I'd say "The Dragonriders of Pern" because it's only SCIENCE fiction in the loosest possible sense but I don't want to get beaten up by annoyed McCaffrey fans for calling it fantasy.)

Recent-published runner up: The Parasol Protectorate by Gail Carriger
Can't Count (yet) as there are only two novelizations of a much longer webcomic: Girl Genius by Phil and Kaja Foglio

Offline Lor

• Pictish Wonder
  • Master Namer
  • Queen of the Pirates
    • View Profile
    • The Marketplace of Opinions
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2012, 09:27:13 PM »
Mark C. Newton's "Legends of the Red Sun" series will have to claim my favourite spot, followed very closely by Sam Sykes' "The Aeon's Gate" series. Love the work those boys are doing. I'm a huge fan of Scott Lynch's "Gentlemen Bastards" series and Joe Abercrombie's "First Law Trilogy". Nothing groundbreaking, but hey.
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye." - Miss Piggy

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2012, 12:26:43 AM »
The problem I have here is I don't like to put a series on a list like this until it's actually completed, so that rules out things that I thoroughly enjoy like The Gentleman Bastards or ASoIaF. Off the top of my head I can think of three that I've really liked that are complete, although arguments could be made that this is not the case.
No particular order: Harry Potter, The First Law and A Man of His Word by Dave Duncan. I said arguments in that Abercrombie has done 2 standalones (soon to be 3) set in the same world as First Law and featuring some of the same characters, and Dave Duncan followed up A Man of His Word with A Handful of Men, which was a continuation of A Man of His Word, but didn't have the same quality to me, although it was very readable.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Idlewilder

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2012, 05:50:04 PM »
Following the 'more than 2 in the series so far' rule that rules out Kingkiller Chronicles and Gentlemen Bastards for me. So...

1 - A Song of Ice and Fire
2 - The Wheel of Time
3 - Discworld
4 - The First Law
5 - The Dresden Files

The Top 3 could just as easily be on par as it just depends what mood I'm in as to who the 'favourite' is.  ;D
Make Another World.

Offline algardis

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2012, 08:42:55 PM »
My top 5 favorite YA fantasy series (which is my favorite genre), in very particular order are:

1] The Circle of Magic Series By Tamora Pierce
2] The Valdemar Books By Mercedes Lackey
3] The Graceling Series By Kristin Cashore
4] The Grey Wolf Throne Series by Cinda Williams Chima
5] The Codex Alera Series by Jim Butcher

I also enjoy Patrick Rothfuss' Kingkiller Chronicles and Anne Bishop's Black Jewel Trilogy.
Not all those who wander are lost.
Book Blog: http://www.algardis.wordpress.com

Offline EvieManieri

« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2012, 08:59:24 PM »
The Dark is Rising Sequence - Susan Cooper, I read it at least once every two years.
Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn - Tad Williams, doomed my first marriage by bringing them on my honeymoon!

Offline AmrothDin

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2012, 10:14:27 AM »
Hm, I've only encountered three series, which I like enough to put on this list.

1.) The First Law
2.) A Song of Ice and Fire
3.) Discworld

Offline Gothos

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2012, 05:32:07 PM »
A great series is one you look forward to re-reading and then reading again.

1)Malazan Book of the Fallen - Steven Erikson and Ian Cam Esslemont
2)Stormlight Archive - Brandon Sanderson
3)The Book of the New Sun - Gene Wolfe (seriously the world wound be a shit place without this series in it)
4)Gotrex and Felix - William King
5)Wheel of Time - Robert Jordan
I saw them on the shores
the deepening pits of their gaze
vowed immortal war
against the sighing calm
of Jaghut seas . . .

Gothos’ Folly
Gothos (b.?)

Offline Dan D Jones

« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2012, 03:23:38 PM »
Ugh.  As of right now (subject to change in five minutes) I'll go with my top 5, in no particular order:

Stephen R. Donaldson's Thomas Covenant books
Frank Herbert's Dune series (NOT including the Brian Herbert/ KJ Anderson abominations)
Patricia McKillip The Riddlemaster of Hed trilogy
Roger Zelazny's first and second Chronicles of Amber
David Eddings The Belgariad  (Primarily for nostalgic reasons.  Wouldn't make it if published today but definitely one of the most influential series in shaping my love of spec fic in my youth.)

And of course that list leaves off Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun which HAS to go in there somewhere.  Ugh.

Offline J. Mark Miller

« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2012, 04:06:03 PM »
Let's see if I can pare this down to close to five:

The Lord of the Rings - Tolkien (yeah, I know, cliché)  ;)
The Malazan Book of the Fallen - Erikson
The Long Price Quartet - Abraham
The Gentlemen Bastards - Lynch
Mistborn - Sanderson
Belgariad/Mallorean - Eddings (ah, childhood memories)
The Kingkiller Chronicles - Rothfuss

OK, I'll stop now.