Poll

Favorite Fantasy Race?

Dragon
Hobbit
Elf
Dwarf
Orc/Goblin
Other(if so please say)

Author Topic: Favorite Fantasy Race?  (Read 4046 times)

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Fantasy Race?
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2016, 06:02:23 PM »
Selkies..they are unfortunately not an often done race
Thanks to Song of the Sea they're actually one that I really like. Best film ever!
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2016, 06:30:55 PM »
Selkies..they are unfortunately not an often done race
Thanks to Song of the Sea they're actually one that I really like. Best film ever!

i haven't seen that, but this is what i always think of when i hear the word "selkie":
http://magiccards.info/query?q=selkie

i CRUSHED people with my selkie-having draw deck.

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2016, 06:33:32 PM »
i haven't seen that
If you like stuff like Ghibli, you'd love it. Great story, lovely music, and the visuals are a work of art. Can't wait for that studio to make more films.

but this is what i always think of when i hear the word "selkie":

I've never played card games like that...  :-[
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2016, 06:51:43 PM »
i haven't seen that
If you like stuff like Ghibli, you'd love it. Great story, lovely music, and the visuals are a work of art. Can't wait for that studio to make more films.

hrm.
http://filmschoolrejects.com/features/studio-ghibli-movies-ranked.php?all=1

looking through that list, i've seen howl's, ponyo, and spirited away -- and i can't recall a single event that happened in any of them.  not really a fan, but i keep trying.

oh, man.  you're missing out.

the games themselves are fairly quick, combining easy-to-learn basic rules with deeply complicated strategies.  but the best part is deck-building.  you have thousands and thousands of cards to build with, layering synergies and combos and themes throughout.  personally, i think magic the gathering is the greatest modern board/card game there is.  (tho, followed quickly by clue)

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2016, 07:00:51 PM »
i haven't seen that

hrm.
http://filmschoolrejects.com/features/studio-ghibli-movies-ranked.php?all=1

looking through that list, i've seen howl's, ponyo, and spirited away -- and i can't recall a single event that happened in any of them.  not really a fan, but i keep trying.
I've seen all except six of them, enjoyed them all. They're very weird though, can take a little getting used to but once you do they're amazing. Song of the Sea is a bit more of a western-style story (naturally, since it's made in Ireland), so maybe it'd work better for you than Ghibli does.  :P

oh, man.  you're missing out.

the games themselves are fairly quick, combining easy-to-learn basic rules with deeply complicated strategies.  but the best part is deck-building.  you have thousands and thousands of cards to build with, layering synergies and combos and themes throughout.  personally, i think magic the gathering is the greatest modern board/card game there is.  (tho, followed quickly by clue)
Does sound cool, but I can imagine it taking up soo much time if you get into it...

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2016, 10:48:56 PM »
I went for hobbit, because they're completely original and it's probably also influenced by the fact that I am currently rereading The Hobbit. I also really like kender from Dragonlance, a race of fearless childlike thieves appeals to me, plus I love their names (Earwig Lockpicker was a personal favourite) and I like nixies, which are only rarely seen in fiction these days.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Blackthorn

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2016, 02:15:27 AM »
I went for hobbit, because they're completely original and it's probably also influenced by the fact that I am currently rereading The Hobbit. I also really like kender from Dragonlance, a race of fearless childlike thieves appeals to me, plus I love their names (Earwig Lockpicker was a personal favourite) and I like nixies, which are only rarely seen in fiction these days.

Glad you reminded me, the draconians and sea elves from Dragonlance.

Offline Phoenix

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2016, 02:35:03 PM »

Glad you reminded me, the draconians and sea elves from Dragonlance.
I actually like the Kender from Dragonlance
"My death shall spark a war, and from the ashes of the battlefield I shall be reborn"

Offline Captain Blobby

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2016, 04:18:12 PM »
I'm not a fan of non-human races as a rule however I did quite like the dwarves from the Witcher series (the games, I haven't read the books yet). I did hope in the third game you'd get to see their homeland in the Mahakam Mountains, and the Elven State they talked about in Witcher 2.

Offline Phoenix

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2016, 04:41:03 PM »
Time to bump it up :P. What is your favorite mythological creature and/or fantasy race?

Mine would be the drow, specifically Drizzt Do'Urden
"My death shall spark a war, and from the ashes of the battlefield I shall be reborn"