December 15, 2019, 05:50:42 PM

Author Topic: Favorite Christian Fantasy Authors  (Read 2987 times)

Offline ultamentkiller

Re: Favorite Christian Fantasy Authors
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2018, 07:31:17 PM »
I studied Mormonism for fun this year, and if you read Sanderson's books, it's pretty loaded with Mormon theology. I didn't notice when I read them, but thinking back to my research, now I see it all. Mormons aren't regarded as Christians by most people, but they consider themselves to be so there's that. McClellan's books don't have any at all though, which is slightly surprising since he's a former student of Sanderson from BYU.

That's really interesting! I've always wondered about how much Mormon stuff there was in the Wheel of Time as well, but I don't know enough to pick out anything except the multiple-wives element.
I haven't read the Sandersons, but if theres Mormonism he must have introduced it because I don't  think Jordan was Mormon. A number of popular fantasy authors are Mormon, though. Tracy Hickman and Shannon Hale are 2 I only recently became aware are Mormons.
That doesn't surprise me at all about the multiple Fantasy author thing. There's definitely a lot of misconceptions about Mormonism in general, but when you start digging deep you can see elements of a potential Fantasy story happening on another world in there. I can't think of a better example than the Cosmere though. Everything we know about it so far is heavily rooted in Mormonism, and I expect once we get to the beginning and the end of that universe it will solidify as such.

Online Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2018, 08:01:09 PM »
Actually there are quite a few. The two most famous ones are of course, J R R Tolkien and CS Lewis. Tolkien was a devout Catholic and CS Lewis an Anglican and both part of the same writing group the Inkpens.  Tolkien actually used to criticise CS Lewis for making his books too allegorical! But you can see both of their faiths in their writing and the belief that good will overcome evil.

Stephen Lawhead was a big name back in the 90s and I loved his Arthur/ Merlin cycle. I only discovered later he was a Christian when I discovered his books for sale at an Evangelist book fair.  And of course Brandon Sanderson is a Mormon and I am sure there are a few others. I think only very puritanical Christians are against fantasy and many Christian writers excel in using other worlds as a medium to explore their faith.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Justan Henner

• Barbarian who pronounces are, our and hour all the same way
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2018, 04:50:18 PM »

That doesn't surprise me at all about the multiple Fantasy author thing. There's definitely a lot of misconceptions about Mormonism in general, but when you start digging deep you can see elements of a potential Fantasy story happening on another world in there. I can't think of a better example than the Cosmere though. Everything we know about it so far is heavily rooted in Mormonism, and I expect once we get to the beginning and the end of that universe it will solidify as such.

Orson Scott Card is another famous Mormon SFF author. I've heard that his Tales of Alvin Maker are fairly near to a retelling of the Book of Mormon.

Online Lu Kudzoza

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2018, 05:00:11 PM »

Orson Scott Card is another famous Mormon SFF author. I've heard that his Tales of Alvin Maker are fairly near to a retelling of the Book of Mormon.

Tales of Alvin Maker is closer to the Joseph Smith stories about his childhood. His series Homecoming Saga is his rip off (promotion) of the Book of Mormon.  :o

Offline Justan Henner

• Barbarian who pronounces are, our and hour all the same way
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2018, 05:06:49 PM »

Tales of Alvin Maker is closer to the Joseph Smith stories about his childhood. His series Homecoming Saga is his rip off (promotion) of the Book of Mormon.  :o

Psht. Next you'll be telling me I pronounce baguette wrong.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I stand corrected.  ;)

Online Lu Kudzoza

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2018, 05:16:19 PM »
For a fun and interesting anti-christian read check out Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials series. It glorifies the fall of man from both the garden of eden and heaven. It portrays god as a dark authoritarian and one of the archangels (can't remember which one) as fighting for the right of self determination / free will for humankind. What's funny is that he doesn't use the devil as the good guy. Probably because that would have been a step too far for the public at the time.

What's even funnier about the books is
Spoiler for Hiden:
that at the end of book 3 he goes on a two page rant about all the things Christianity needs to be replaced with. It's basically his authoritarian view of how the world should be. I found it quite ironic.

Online Lu Kudzoza

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2018, 05:19:37 PM »

Psht. Next you'll be telling me I pronounce baguette wrong.

Baguette, beget. Tomato, Toronto. They all mean the same thing, don't they? Who needs word precision?

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2018, 06:19:40 PM »
For a fun and interesting anti-christian read check out Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials series. It glorifies the fall of man from both the garden of eden and heaven. It portrays god as a dark authoritarian and one of the archangels (can't remember which one) as fighting for the right of self determination / free will for humankind. What's funny is that he doesn't use the devil as the good guy. Probably because that would have been a step too far for the public at the time.

Spoiler for Hiden:
that at the end of book 3 he goes on a two page rant about all the things Christianity needs to be replaced with. It's basically his authoritarian view of how the world should be. I found it quite ironic.
Huh. I had no idea. I only read a third of the first book before putting it down, but if that's how it is, I guess I can see why people wouldn't want others reading it.

that being said, if your faith is strong enough, it shouldn't matter what you read.

Online Lu Kudzoza

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2018, 07:01:08 PM »

Spoiler for Hiden:
Huh. I had no idea. I only read a third of the first book before putting it down, but if that's how it is, I guess I can see why people wouldn't want others reading it.

that being said, if your faith is strong enough, it shouldn't matter what you read.

For me it was a fun philosophical book that postulates god is only god because he got there first (via evolution, battling others for the position, etc.). It was an interesting concept to ponder.

Offline Rostum

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2018, 12:58:17 AM »

You sir win any prize from the top shelf.
Conversely if your religion proscribes certain books (genres) or learning I would suggest it is a sect or cult. The UK is relatively moderate in such things compared to the USA but over the years I have encountered kids home educated or withdrawn from certain classes due to (their parents) religious beliefs. If you are scared your kids will leave your faith through education what you believe becomes very questionable very quickly.

@craigdressler  you have started a number of threads but not responded to this one which took off. Don't be shy we mostly don't bite and forums are after all meant for a frank exchange of views.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 01:02:59 AM by Rostum »

Offline SugoiMe

« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2018, 04:13:28 AM »
@craigdressler  you have started a number of threads but not responded to this one which took off. Don't be shy we mostly don't bite and forums are after all meant for a frank exchange of views.

I second that these are good people. We all have opinions.:D

Confession: I have never read and never intend to read C.S. Lewis' Narnia series and I consider myself a devout Christian who has been a Christian my whole life. Never saw the appeal, probably because of the overt Christian symbolism. And yet it's THE big title when it comes to Christian fantasy. I appreciated LOTR, but it took me five years to read (I'm a picky reader), but I liked it for its languages and world, and theme of hope, more than the underlying Christian worldview.

I tried to read Left Behind but found it too American for my liking and ditched after the first chapter. It took a certain interpretation of Revelation (apparently, again I haven't read it, so I don't know it).

As for current Christian authors, I don't have any in particular that I like. I've heard of Jill Williamson, but have yet to read those books. I've read a couple of newer authors (J.L. Mbewe, Morgan Busse), but didn't bring myself to read their subsequent books. The writing style didn't grab me.

Christian fantasy tends to play on Christian themes that depict biblical principles. But I just haven't found a book that really meshes fantasy and Christianity that well(or Christian worldview, which really there are various worldviews within the broad spectrum of "Christian").
"And then the time came when the risk it took to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anais Nin

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2018, 12:27:52 AM »
This may be of interest for those looking for Christian Fantasy.

A review of Under the Pendulum Sun by Jeannette Ng
Under the Pendulum Sun Journeys to Fairyland and Finds It Very Strange Indeed

“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic