September 18, 2019, 06:28:17 AM

Author Topic: Fantasy vs Fiction  (Read 331 times)

Offline Bender

Fantasy vs Fiction
« on: July 10, 2019, 11:00:29 PM »
Inspired from @AelizWarlok thread.

What in your opinion are key differences between Fantasy and Fiction?

A story sans any fantasy elements (magic beasts etc) set in imaginary land of X
Vs
A story sans any fantasy elements (magic beasts etc) set in imaginary Titan a moon of a Gas Giant.
Vs
A story sans any fantasy elements (magic beasts etc) set in Earth

Is that all that takes to differentiate between Fantasy and Fiction?
Not all those who wander are lost

Offline Bender

Re: Fantasy vs Fiction
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 11:02:09 PM »
And as a corollary question...

What's the best no magic/beast fantasy book you've read?

Offline AelizWarlok

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2019, 12:30:41 AM »
Talking of the world I created...there are different things than on Earth, like plants and animals called differently, languages and races of people that would never existed here, but from another perspective, what defines fantasy from fiction? Is it actually all fiction or does it have to be magic to be fantasy?
I have read some stories set in made up world with no magical creatures, dramas about fictionalised lands, but I'm merely saying in my world there are no wizards or dark lords...if just only an imaginary world with characters isn't considered a fantasy, then it's a fiction, by my opinion.
Now, I could be wrong, I'm not the smartest guy here :)

Offline AelizWarlok

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2019, 12:35:51 AM »
Would you like the link to the prologue to judge for yourself if it's a fanatasy or fiction? :) ;D ;D ;D

Offline Bender

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2019, 12:58:00 AM »
ha ha. fair enough. I'll read it.

But the thread is more generic than just your book. Just wanted some general opinions....

Offline AelizWarlok

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2019, 02:01:19 AM »
https://www.booksie.com/598844-an-introduction-to-the-world-of-argellath

Here you go, i would like to see if you think this is fantasy of fiction.

Generically, and judged by fans of F & SF, everything not set in this world is fantasy. Fiction would be rather something that has threads to this world, but is fictionalized in some way( like the future, or the past) so I think a novel set in ancient greece where the gods rage war and attack the people is fiction, but a land with no attached strings to our world in which horses fly around and dwarfs mine ore is fantasy. correct me if im wrong :)

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2019, 04:54:55 AM »
I think a lot about this one, partly because my mother-in-law likes to gift me books but she doesn't seem to understand what "fantasy" means... or at least, what I like to read. (The key problem in her case is distinguishing between fantasy and magic-realism literary fiction. I haaaaate magic realism.)

I think my definition would go something like: There is something in the story that is not-real in our universe, that is real in the story world.

Urban fantasy is fantasy - it's set on real earth - but there's something in it that is real, but that we'd consider not-real. (In magic realism, it tends to be... not really real. True, perhaps, but not real.) And sci-fi is more about extending and extrapolating the real into areas that are feasibly real in the future - that's a blurry line, and I think it should be.

And, of course, "something" can be "everything". :)

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2019, 06:01:32 AM »
What's the best no magic/beast fantasy book you've read?

Folding Knife by K.J Parker and some people would say books by GGK.
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2019, 07:52:41 AM »
Isn’t fantasy fiction?
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2019, 12:16:28 PM »
Personally I always tend to err on the generous side when it comes to including something in the genre, so for me:

1 is fantasy
2 is SF
3 is general fiction

...even if they all tell the exact same story in the same way.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2019, 12:22:41 PM »
Personally I always tend to err on the generous side when it comes to including something in the genre, so for me:

1 is fantasy
2 is SF
3 is general fiction

...even if they all tell the exact same story in the same way.
I think I will agree with this.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline isos81

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2019, 03:46:53 PM »
Generically, and judged by fans of F & SF, everything not set in this world is fantasy. Fiction would be rather something that has threads to this world, but is fictionalized in some way( like the future, or the past) so I think a novel set in ancient greece where the gods rage war and attack the people is fiction, but a land with no attached strings to our world in which horses fly around and dwarfs mine ore is fantasy. correct me if im wrong :)

I agree with this
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'