October 18, 2019, 10:18:46 AM

Author Topic: Fantasy Subreddit  (Read 216 times)

Online S. K. Inkslinger

Fantasy Subreddit
« on: September 19, 2019, 07:44:20 AM »
What do you guys think about that site? Just this morning I went to ask some suggestions on that subreddit for the very first time regarding the prologue of my novel, and I just ended up with extremely confusing comments like, "we had a cap of 6,000 words", and comments on the story that doesn't make sense at all, as if that person is reading another story entirely. I had no idea what they were talking about, seriously. 

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 08:01:11 AM by Eclipse »
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline isos81

Re: Fantasy Subreddit
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2019, 07:55:06 AM »
Comments on the story that doesn't make sense at all, as if that person is reading another story entirely. I had no idea what they were talking about, seriously.

This is really funny. Either you posted something else or they are some bunch of weird guys ;D
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Online S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2019, 08:05:11 AM »
Comments on the story that doesn't make sense at all, as if that person is reading another story entirely. I had no idea what they were talking about, seriously.

This is really funny. Either you posted something else or they are some bunch of weird guys ;D

I checked that link and it led to the right story though, hahah. I had no idea what just happened.  ;D

I don’t like Reddit the layout is too confusing for me.

Here try here instead
https://www.sffchronicles.com/forum/writers/

https://www.sffworld.com/forum/threads/post-your-progress-thread.7884/page-224

http://www.thefantasyforum.com/forums/general-discussion.322/

https://www.fantasy-writers.org/forum

Thankies Eclipse!

Offline Peat

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2019, 08:14:55 AM »
I've never used the reddit space for writers so can't really help you there - tbh, I just generally find Reddit to not be that much fun. Occasionally very useful, but not fun.

However! The other places -

I've used SFFWorld and SFFChronicles. SFFWorld isn't that heavily populated these days but I got some decent feedback.

SFFChronicles is really good but the critique section is only open to members with 30 posts and the limit is 1500 words.

That said - I've had feedback where I wondered if they were reading the same story that I'd posted pretty much everywhere. Which might be on me, but then I've had a lot more feedback where they clearly were.

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2019, 10:41:17 AM »
Hmm... is Reddit just the new Usenet?

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2019, 10:54:34 AM »
I like the r/fantasy subreddit but I would never use it for critique or writing advice. Come to think of it, I don't think reddit in general is the right place for that.

@Eclipse, for years I was the same and then I tried the reddit mobile app and it is so much better. I get head aches every time I look at reddit on a normal computer...
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2019, 01:55:18 PM »
I quite like it, but I've never actually originated a thread, and I'm not really a fan of the format.

I'm of the opinion that online discussion forums have gone downhill since the mid 90s. Web forums are worse than Compuserve/AOL/CIX etc, and reddit is worse than a regular web forum.