July 19, 2019, 03:44:22 PM

Author Topic: Fantasy Novels - are they based on True World Events?  (Read 4629 times)

Offline Overlord

Fantasy Novels - are they based on True World Events?
« on: April 13, 2011, 12:03:06 PM »
Editing this from an email I sent earlier...

Tolkien's work from a literary point of view has always said to be about his nostalgia... his longing to get back to a world before industrialisation... it is a theme you see a lot of in his work. In fact, in The Hobbit you see a lot of discussion about the world that is gone and has been destroyed... it sounds amazing, but now it is gone... and they can never get it back... I think this is what Tolken based a lot of his ideas on.

As a modern link... 'The Painted Man', I noticed a lot of what I would connect with the whole September the 11th incident. The whole atmosphere created in 'The Painted Man' spoke to a lot of Americans (in my opinion) who were perhaps fearful at the time and felt that sense of being trapped. Certainly, from my point of view, the way the book exploded at the time shows it spoke to a lot of people... perhaps this is why, perhaps it is not.

Can you guys think of any other examples?
Founder: http://fantasy-faction.com
Editor: Fantasy-Faction Anthology (Aug 2014)
Author: "Son of…" in 1853 (2013)
Host: Fantasy-Faction's Grim Gathering

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Fantasy Novels - are they based on True World Events?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 02:27:47 PM »
Joe Abercrombie. The Union is clearly The United States under Bush. an idiot in charge who has some faked battle ground experience, controlled by shady forces with a sinister advisor who is the real power behind the throne. Disastrous involvements in conflicts in other countries.incompetent military. Need I go on?   
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Funky Scarecrow

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 02:54:36 PM »
Joe Abercrombie. The Union is clearly The United States under Bush. an idiot in charge who has some faked battle ground experience, controlled by shady forces with a sinister advisor who is the real power behind the throne. Disastrous involvements in conflicts in other countries.incompetent military. Need I go on?   

I think the Union could equally as easily be modelled on Regency period Britain. An incapable leader succeeded by an incompetent one (Union=Britain), a powerful enemy just across the water (France&/orSpain=Ghurkul), a potential ally/rival riven by its own internal conflicts (Styria=Netherlands) and a formerly little more than lawless northern neighbour becoming a genuine threat (Reivers into Jacobite Scots=Raiders into Bethod's Northern Kingdom). You've even got a wide open and exapansive relatively unexplored expanse of land to the west (North America), not to mention the presence of the old and formerly powerful Empire now little more than bickering city states with no real impact on the wider world stage any more (The various city states, duchies and principalities which will become modern Italy).
I am NOT short. I'm further away than I look.

Offline Nighteyes

• Ringbearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 07:51:10 AM »

I think the Union could equally as easily be modelled on Regency period Britain. An incapable leader succeeded by an incompetent one (Union=Britain), a powerful enemy just across the water (France&/orSpain=Ghurkul), a potential ally/rival riven by its own internal conflicts (Styria=Netherlands) and a formerly little more than lawless northern neighbour becoming a genuine threat (Reivers into Jacobite Scots=Raiders into Bethod's Northern Kingdom). You've even got a wide open and exapansive relatively unexplored expanse of land to the west (North America), not to mention the presence of the old and formerly powerful Empire now little more than bickering city states with no real impact on the wider world stage any more (The various city states, duchies and principalities which will become modern Italy).

Damn I hate it when someone blows my post out of the water with a way more intelligent post.  Damn you Funky Scarecrow ;)
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Bahl

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 07:56:24 AM »
Well Hound, Abercrombie is english, so I think he'll base it on what he knows!
Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.
Terry Pratchett

Offline missoularedhead

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 08:31:18 AM »
Dune (okay, it's sci fi, but still). Definitely the Middle East and spice = oil.
"Well behaved women rarely make history" ~Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Offline MTMaenpaa

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 11:33:53 AM »
Dune (okay, it's sci fi, but still). Definitely the Middle East and spice = oil.

Dune was definitely a commentary on ecology and resource management, but the political feuds of the books were loosely based off of the War of the Roses.  Interestingly enough, the War of the Roses was also one of GRRM's influences in creating A Song of Ice and Fire.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 11:36:06 AM by MTMaenpaa »
Foodie, Chef, Writer, Reader, Father, Geek

http://laughingcook.wordpress.com/

Offline Nighteyes

• Ringbearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 11:45:46 AM »
I think everybody who enjoys the political intrigues of fantasy novels should read Hilary Mantel 'Wolf Hall' a fictional biography of Thomas Cromwell.  Absolutely fascinating on the intrigues at Henry VIII's court and beautifully written. 
The Real Powers That Be

Offline OneChapterMore

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 05:25:58 PM »
Guy Gavriel Kay's are overtly taken from real historical events. Others are taken and messed with. However, I think that true-world events gravitate by necessity into almost all fantasy, as true world is where our experiences actually lie..
Blog: Onechaptermore
@onechaptermore

I ramble with Lor and The Idlewilder at Rambling Through Genre

"I have within me all the dreams of the world"
- Fernando Pessoa

Offline Bahl

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2011, 03:19:26 PM »
Jasper Kent's Twelve and Thirteen years later are based in and around Napoleons invasion of russia.

Some bloody good books those.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.
Terry Pratchett

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2018, 06:34:00 PM »
There be fantasy books based on Donald Trump and Brexit soon  :o
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2019, 01:45:53 AM »

UK civil war in 2022 with dragons and wizards.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2019, 06:31:34 AM »
Small Change by Jo Walton was based on the premise that Rudolf Hess’ attempt to broker a peace deal between Nazi Germany and the UK worked and the UK got a rather fascist giver meant as a result. There were some scary parallels between then and now.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Justan Henner

• Barbarian who pronounces are, our and hour all the same way
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2019, 03:15:41 AM »

UK civil war in 2022 with dragons and wizards.

Is this the next Harry Potter?

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2019, 10:50:36 AM »
Kate Elliott's A Crown of Stars series is a pseudo 7th century western Europe, complete with pseudo Christianity.

Paul Kearney's The Monarchies of God are 15th/16th century Christian Europe, but the new world they discover is South America. The invaders are Muslims, and what's especially interesting is how the two religions are discovered to effectively have been brought about by the same prophet under different names.

I write about swords and birds and wizards and stuff.