December 07, 2019, 09:16:12 PM

Author Topic: Fantasy Names / pronounciation  (Read 11811 times)

Offline Hedin

Re: Fantasy Names / pronounciation
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2015, 01:04:27 AM »
Malazan does this to me all the time, in fact I'm sure I pronounce most of the names wrong. Like how the hell am I meant to pronounce Kruppe or Tiste Andii?

I've always gone with Croup and Tea-stay Andy.

No, no. You're just wrong.  ;)

Crup (is in "up") and Tist Andy.

Tist? That E ain't silent buddy.   Glad we agree on Andy at least.   

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2015, 01:07:38 AM »
Malazan does this to me all the time, in fact I'm sure I pronounce most of the names wrong. Like how the hell am I meant to pronounce Kruppe or Tiste Andii?

Then Tist-e (short e), if you must hear it.  ;D
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline ArhiX

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2015, 01:53:54 AM »

Try with K'Chain Che'Malle. Or any other name with (') in it. Keszein Szeemalle??? Erikson pls.
I'm actually pronouncing it with 'chain'. But still there are some other names...
I think it's a thing in every (more or less) epic fantasy.

If I can digress a bit. I think I mentioned it somewhere else, but in my language "Capustan" (still from Malazan) means something like 'Cabbage-town'. It's funny when you read something like "in a battle for Cabbagetown..." and it's actully meant to be tragic but you can't stop laughing. Who were they fighting with? Magically conjured demon-cabbages?

Spoiler for Hiden:
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 01:56:59 AM by ArhiX »
"The world is full of stories, and from time to time, they permit themselves to be told."

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2015, 08:24:43 AM »
Is Jorg pronounced Yorg? Because Jalan is hard J Jalan.
That's how I've always said it, just like the German name, but when I asked Mark he said it's supposed to be just plain 'George', and the only reason he didn't go with 'Jorge' with the 'e' at the end was to avoid the spanish way of saying that, because that was definitely not what he wanted.
He didn't mind my way much, though, said that many people said it like that too...

Jean from Gentleman Bastards is one that I found out I was mispronouncing, it took me a while, but I did eventually get it straight.
I say it like the French name - is it that, or like 'jean' (the trousers)?
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2015, 09:05:29 AM »
I honestly don't care how things are supposed to be pronounced in a book, I'll interpret them in the best way for myself anyway. What does it really matter, beyond stirring lively debate on forums :p
I'm still clinging to the dragon 'Smaug' being pronounced 'Smog'.

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things

Offline Francis Knight

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2015, 09:41:44 AM »
Francis, that is good to know and helpful to us in way you feel.  I would have thought writers felt otherwise, because their characters are so personal to them it would include the names.

Well I can only speak for myself! I know JRRT got all het up about people not pronouncing things right. And yet even though I know it should be Sour-on, I still pronounce it Sore-on. Having a dyslexic husband who sees words differently gives you a perspective (and makes discussing books an education :D)
My tongue has been in my cheek for so long, I've eroded a new mouth.

Duellists Trilogy (as Julia Knight) coming soon from Orbit!

http://www.juliaknight.co.uk/

Offline Yora

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2015, 09:46:02 AM »
That sound may be like the  "ch" in the Scottish word "loch" where the ch is almost swallowed, but usually mispronounced elsewhere as "lock."

No, it's much more weird. It's a sound that I've never heard in any other language. (Though wouldn't be surprised if it's in Dutch or Swedish.) And there's actually also a third way to pronounce it.
We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on a big tower of other dwarves.

Beneath the Leaves of Kaendor

Offline madfox11

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2015, 10:25:21 AM »
This is something I always think about first: Does any name I create have an ambigous pronounciation? For a book it really doesn't amke much of a difference, but I try to always use spellings that can have only one possible pronounciation in English.

Huh? Considering English is one of the worse languages I know in regards to spelling and pronunciation, I find it a bit hard to see how you would do this unless you stick to modern names. In fact, even in case of modern names there are multiple ways to pronounce it. Mind you, names are always horrible because they often come from different languages or stick to old spelling (especially surnames).

As for the 'ch', in Dutch it is always pronounced the same way, like the ch in loch although a bit harsher. It is one of those spelling rules in Dutch that make it hard on people trying to learn the language since usually we use the 'g' for the same sound ;)

Offline Francis Knight

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2015, 10:41:49 AM »
Serendipity -- the ten most mispronounced names in literature
My tongue has been in my cheek for so long, I've eroded a new mouth.

Duellists Trilogy (as Julia Knight) coming soon from Orbit!

http://www.juliaknight.co.uk/

Offline Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2015, 11:03:02 AM »
This is something I always think about first: Does any name I create have an ambigous pronounciation? For a book it really doesn't amke much of a difference, but I try to always use spellings that can have only one possible pronounciation in English.

Huh? Considering English is one of the worse languages I know in regards to spelling and pronunciation, I find it a bit hard to see how you would do this unless you stick to modern names. In fact, even in case of modern names there are multiple ways to pronounce it. Mind you, names are always horrible because they often come from different languages or stick to old spelling (especially surnames).

As for the 'ch', in Dutch it is always pronounced the same way, like the ch in loch although a bit harsher. It is one of those spelling rules in Dutch that make it hard on people trying to learn the language since usually we use the 'g' for the same sound ;)

Ch isn't always the same in Dutch.
Consider the difference of ch in 'Chinees' or 'champagne' and the ch in 'goochelaar' or 'achting'
The first two give a 'sh' sound. The other two a soft g.

Offline Mr.J

• Anus Dracula formerly known as Arse Demon and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • Tweedy impertinence
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2015, 11:04:17 AM »
Jean from Gentleman Bastards is one that I found out I was mispronouncing, it took me a while, but I did eventually get it straight.
I say it like the French name - is it that, or like 'jean' (the trousers)?
Scott Lynch says it is 'Jean' as in the French, whereas I've always pronounced it 'gene'. I can't shake it now, even though that way it sounds like Locke goes around with an eleven year old fat kid with an electronic keyboard. :P

Offline madfox11

« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2015, 11:29:12 AM »
Consider the difference of ch in 'Chinees' or 'champagne' and the ch in 'goochelaar' or 'achting'

Had forgotten the Ch from 'champagne' (although I wonder how much those words have to do with the fact that they are place names from non-Dutch areas), as for the soft g that depends on where you live in the Netherlands ;)

Offline Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2015, 11:42:45 AM »

Had forgotten the Ch from 'champagne' (although I wonder how much those words have to do with the fact that they are place names from non-Dutch areas), as for the soft g that depends on where you live in the Netherlands ;)

Chagrijn starts with a ch and isn't a place name, for example.

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2015, 01:00:55 PM »
That sound may be like the  "ch" in the Scottish word "loch" where the ch is almost swallowed, but usually mispronounced elsewhere as "lock."

No, it's much more weird. It's a sound that I've never heard in any other language. (Though wouldn't be surprised if it's in Dutch or Swedish.) And there's actually also a third way to pronounce it.
It was indeed. Sitting listening and trying to do the laugh hech hech bit and making very strange sounds. Thanks Yora.
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline Jonny_Anonymous

• Builder
  • Bring Us The Girl And Wipe Away The Debt
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2015, 02:27:14 PM »

I've been saying Krup, Tsst Anne-Dey and Ka-Chain Che-Mail.

None of these are even remotely accurate I know.

Then Tist-e (short e), if you must hear it.  ;D
“There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for ever should we fail- should we fall- we will know that we have lived.”

? Anomander Rake