November 20, 2019, 10:15:41 AM

Author Topic: Fantasy-Faction Grim Gathering: April 10th. F-F Big Breakfast: April 11th.  (Read 17418 times)

Offline Richard Bendall

Did I miss you, Richard? Can't recognise you from the photo...

I'm the one that took the photo of you and Marc. You can't see my long here in my profile pic, and I've been rather lax with the shaving lately too  :P I've got a ridiculous expression while I'm sat next to Rostum in this photo <link deleted>
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 08:20:03 PM by Richard Bendall »
"That which is imagined can never be lost." - Clive Barker

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
The Audience at the beginning photo I like the lady's steampunk goggles on top of her head near the front  :) did she dress up as her favourite character?

oh and the man sitting next to her seems to be looking downwards lol

That one I didn't notice, but if you look a little to the right there's a lady all in black sitting next to a bearded guy: she was dressed like a Krasian fighter, complete with spear and warded shield, and a sort of full face mask (only leaving the eyes clear) that she put up when taking photos with Pete ;D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Online ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile

I@m the one that took the photo of you and Marc. You can't see my long here in my profile pic, and I've been rather lax with the shaving lately too  :P I've got a ridiculous expression while I'm sat next to Rostum in this photo: << link deleted >>

Gosh! You look *very* different!!! Better in real life, hehehe, you're ok in the photo
 :D
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 11:50:11 AM by ScarletBea »

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Online Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
The Audience at the beginning photo I like the lady's steampunk goggles on top of her head near the front  :) did she dress up as her favourite character?

oh and the man sitting next to her seems to be looking downwards lol

That one I didn't notice, but if you look a little to the right there's a lady all in black sitting next to a bearded guy: she was dressed like a Krasian fighter, complete with spear and warded shield, and a sort of full face mask (only leaving the eyes clear) that she put up when taking photos with Pete ;D

Ty I can see it now the chair was hiding the shield  :) next time you all need to get dressed up as you Favourite fantasy character but leave the axe and goat at home don't won't anyone to get arrested  ;D
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Richard Bendall

I'm the one that took the photo of you and Marc. You can't see my long here in my profile pic, and I've been rather lax with the shaving lately too  :P I've got a ridiculous expression while I'm sat next to Rostum in this photo:  <link deleted>

Gosh! You look *very* different!!! Better in real life, hehehe, you're ok in the photo
 :D

I appreciate the lie and accept flattery. Unless you're being honest, because that means it must truly be an awful photo since today I was hungover and running on coffee after a broken 4 hours sleep.

Thanks for sharing those photos too, nice to see some from the last few days. Also second what you say about coming down from a high, though I think mine's more the introvert batteries needing a recharge.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 08:20:19 PM by Richard Bendall »
"That which is imagined can never be lost." - Clive Barker

Offline Rostum

Pretty standard unpacking today I should think.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 07:43:29 PM by Rostum »

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
Wow, glad you guys and girls had such a great time! :)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Rukaio_Alter

• Writing Contest Regular and Ineffectual Comic Relief
  • Writing Group
  • Ambient Mage
    • View Profile
Despite an initial bit of awkwardness on my part, I had a great time last night as well. Unfortunately I forgot to bring anything to sign and was too skint to buy any new books, but I managed to get all 4 authors to sign a copy of The Princess Bride instead, which was awesome. My only regret is that, when I asked, not one of them said 'As you wish'.  :'(

In case anyone's wondering, I was the guy with shoulder-length hair and a black and white striped polo shirt. There is a remarkably clear shot of the back of my head on the Fantasy Faction Twitter.

I did briefly turn up for the breakfast, but promptly had to leave when I realised I'd forgotten my wallet.  :P

5 Times Winner of the Forum Writing Contest who Totally Hasn't Let it All go to his Head.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Also, <Insert GOD EMPEROR OF THE WRITING CONTEST joke here>

Offline Overlord

Highlight in pictures :D

PANEL:

SIGNING:

PUB:

BREAKFAST:

Founder: http://fantasy-faction.com
Editor: Fantasy-Faction Anthology (Aug 2014)
Author: "Son of…" in 1853 (2013)
Host: Fantasy-Faction's Grim Gathering

Offline Overlord

I think @ScarletBea might just be the most lovely, enthusiastic F-F user ever :) :) :)

Thank you!!!! :D :-[
Not sure if that also means I made a big fool of myself (which I think I partially did... :-[), but give an introvert her favourite subject in the world (books) and the chance to talk with a few heroes, and just see her going ::)
And you're not so bad yourself ;D

Lady Ty, yep, that's me :) that shoulder bag, a small backpack, was full of books going in (7) and bursting going out (9). I'm afraid I bumped against a lot of people at the pub just turning around hehe

I'm glad you enjoyed yourself as I know you were a bit worried not knowing anyone, are you going to meet up with some new friends before heading back home ? And what is Marc really like hehe you have a lovely day and take care

He is getting better...... I didn't hate him.

Offline Overlord

Below is my unofficial, for Forum Users Eyes Only, review of the event. It is pretty deep!

----

This event means a lot to me. Every event has been 'good' I feel, but the first one I felt I let a few people down. I was so focused on making sure the event went smoothly that I didn't get to speak to the people who were making this forum and website so successful and I feel bad for that to this day.

The second event I changed my focus. I wanted to put on an event FOR Fantasy-Faction users that everyone else could come along to. I promised that I'd say hello to everyone and spend as much time with each individual as I possibly could. Each and every one of you guys ensure this site is able to stick around and make it so, so rewarding to work on.

The second event went MUCH better than the first, but I realised that as fun as the pub is it isn't the best environment to really get to know people properly - especially when the authors are about, because we all wanna hunt them down and chat, of course! So, I came up with another way to thank them (you) for spending so much time on these forums, messaging me over Twitter and hitting the website. The breakfast was probably my favourite part of the Grim Gathering events so far. I got to spend 3 hours doing nothing but shake hands with people, hug people and talk about not only fantasy books, but them (you)  and their (your) lives as well. That was pretty special for me.

I wish I could go back and do the first event in the same way, I learned this weekend just how special the people who make up our community are :) Certainly, it was a highlight for me since running the site.

---------

On a lighter note:

The panel was amazing. As you can imagine, I was pretty nervous and always struggle with the intro, but once we got past that my sister and I were able to get some really great answers from the authors. They provided everyone in that room with the perfect balance of serious answers giving a deeper insight into their books and those that filled the room with laughter.

The signing was a little longer than planned, but the authors were making sure they spent some real time with each person - which, as I said above, is important. They signed books, but also answered their questions and had pictures taken whenever requested.

The pub was great. The atmosphere of the bar was warm and cozy, but most importantly everyone was of the same frame of mind: grab a drink, chat fantasy and spend some more time chatting with the authors. Mark Lawrence and Peter Newman stuck around for a good few hours longer than expected! So much so Peter was apparently ushered out of the bar!

As I said above, breakfast was just a load of friends hanging out. We spoke a lot about fantasy, but also about history, about what we do for work and what we should do in terms of the future (an event up North seems likely!). I made a lot of friends this morning.

Online ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
I know I've said it many times, but thanks a LOT again, Marc :D
I loved it, and you made lots of people very happy, including the writers (Mark was telling me that).
And you didn't look nervous at all (apart from the shaky hands hehe, but I only noticed cos I was looking and right at the front ;))!

As for the future, we agreed that I would vet the next date so that I could always go 8)
And sorry for the *very* bad drawing of a goat... I wonder if people will still remember why in a few months ;D
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 08:54:43 PM by ScarletBea »

Offline Overlord

I@m the one that took the photo of you and Marc. You can't see my long here in my profile pic, and I've been rather lax with the shaving lately too  :P I've got a ridiculous expression while I'm sat next to Rostum in this photo: https://picasaweb.google.com/beatriz.ogeia/201504GrimGathering?authkey=Gv1sRgCKO0rJr4j83npAE&feat=directlink#6136535372908560818

Look forward to seeing more of you, man! :) And Rostum too. You've both promised to stop by here hourly from now on, right? Sure I remember that... :D :D :D

Offline Overlord

For those who couldn't make it, I will try get videos up within a few weeks :-) We recorded them on .mp4 this time, so easy enough to get online :)

The 'which fictional character would you punch in the face' question NEEDS to be heard :D

Offline G_R_Matthews

Ok, got home safe and sound, but even though this trip took less time (just around 3 hours instead of closer to 5), it was much harder, I was/am so tired.
I feel I am literally coming on down from a 1.5 days high (not that I know what the illegal coming down feels like, hehe), and I think I slept about 4 hours last night.

Breakfast was super, and again I talked a lot (books!).
It was great meeting Rostum (no disturbing at all, I was just writing while waiting for people :)), and I think we managed to bring potential new people to the forum - or get people who'd registered and never really posted to start doing it (I'm looking here in the direction of fab new author Peter Newman!!!)
We all wrote/doddled on Marc's notebooks, who will be worth a lot of money one day ;D

I seem to have talked a lot mainly with contributors (the guys and girl who write articles for the main site): Geoff, Adrian and Steff, amongst others. Adrian and I ended up at Foyles afterwards, chatting through all the books on the Fantasy shelves :D

Did I miss you, Richard? Can't recognise you from the photo... And I can't believe I talked, was walking down the street with Mark and TOMunro and didn't know it was him! Just saw who he was from the twitter feed.

I've got lots of photos. Some ended up blurry because I didn't want to spend much time looking at the event through a screen, so I haven't included them here.
I'd love to have names for everyone (including Rostum's real one), and if some people don't want to be 'on the net', just let me know and I'll remove the photo from the online album :)

Enjoy!
https://picasaweb.google.com/beatriz.ogeia/201504GrimGathering?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCKO0rJr4j83npAE&feat=directlink
(oh, the first photo is actually from this morning, I noticed it in the window and I had to mark it for posterity!)

Bea x

Oh, for those who haven't read it elsewhere  the quote of the night was actually from a passerby, as heard by TOMunro: "there's a queue outside a f*** bookshop!!!" ;D

I might even look slightly human in those photographs! A first if ever there was one! It was great meeting you and I'm really glad you enjoyed the night and the breakfast :)
Staff Writer and ponderer of many things @ fantasy-faction

The Stone Road (4/5* Bookwormblues.net) : myBook.to/thestoneroad
Silent City : myBook.to/silentcity

www.grmatthews.com