October 16, 2019, 09:05:23 PM

Author Topic: Fantasy-Faction Grim Gathering: April 10th. F-F Big Breakfast: April 11th.  (Read 17062 times)

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
I'll post some photos when I get home (maybe Sunday), although bits of me already show up on some of the twitter pictures (orange jumper) ;D

(didn't see you, Rostum)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 12:56:24 AM by ScarletBea »
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Rostum

Yes you did.. All will be revealed at breakfast. Congratulations on winning the ARCCopy of the Skull Throne.

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
Totes McGoats jelly. NEED PICTURES.
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
Chilly, I drove 4.5 hours to be here, the link between camera and computer is at home. Wait :D

By the way, I'm afraid I annoyed Pete Brett (and after he'd given me a special sticker and all!), by mentioning the annoying accents of Arlen and Renna :-[ he wasn't happy...

Rostum, now I'm curious! I asked a few people if they were you, without success hehe

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
ScarletBea there is one outstandingly orange jumper on @FantasyFaction Twitter is that you? Getting a book signed with a blue and purple spotted shoulder bag? If so there is the back of you in another pic and even a disembodied arm ;D ;D
Hey Rostum what colour were you wearing, maybe we can find you as well - hope ScarletBea met  up after all.
Sounds so great wish we could all have be there.
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline Overlord

I think @ScarletBea might just be the most lovely, enthusiastic F-F user ever :) :) :)
Founder: http://fantasy-faction.com
Editor: Fantasy-Faction Anthology (Aug 2014)
Author: "Son of…" in 1853 (2013)
Host: Fantasy-Faction's Grim Gathering

Offline Overlord

Glad everyone's having an ohmygawdohmygawd kind of time.  :)
I'm sitting here paying bills.  :P
Listening to an album on which the Duke Ellington and Count Bassie bands were having a collaboration/battle royale. So there's that.  ;D

Next time!!! :-)
Founder: http://fantasy-faction.com
Editor: Fantasy-Faction Anthology (Aug 2014)
Author: "Son of…" in 1853 (2013)
Host: Fantasy-Faction's Grim Gathering

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
I think @ScarletBea might just be the most lovely, enthusiastic F-F user ever :) :) :)

Thank you!!!! :D :-[
Not sure if that also means I talked too much, but give an introvert her favourite subject in the world (books) and the chance to talk with a few heroes, and just see her going ::)
And you're not so bad yourself ;D

Lady Ty, yep, that's me :) that shoulder bag, a small backpack, was full of books going in (7) and bursting going out (9). I'm afraid I bumped against a lot of people at the pub just turning around hehe
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 07:29:11 AM by ScarletBea »

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile

Thank you!!!! :D :-[
Not sure if that also means I made a big fool of myself (which I think I partially did... :-[), but give an introvert her favourite subject in the world (books) and the chance to talk with a few heroes, and just see her going ::)
And you're not so bad yourself ;D

Lady Ty, yep, that's me :) that shoulder bag, a small backpack, was full of books going in (7) and bursting going out (9). I'm afraid I bumped against a lot of people at the pub just turning around hehe

I'm glad you enjoyed yourself as I know you were a bit worried not knowing anyone, are you going to meet up with some new friends before heading back home ? And what is Marc really like hehe you have a lovely day and take care
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Titus

It looks like it was a lot of fun! I've been looking at the photos on twitter .... I'd love to go come down to one of these, one year soon! =)

Offline Richard Bendall

Had an excellent time. Now I just have to try and remember to post more like I said I would  :P

It was great to meet so many new people, and I don't mind that I didn't speak to everyone there as it just means more people to get to know at the next one.
"That which is imagined can never be lost." - Clive Barker

Offline Rostum

Hey Rostum what colour were you wearing, maybe we can find you as well - hope ScarletBea met  up after all.
Sounds so great wish we could all have be there.

Thankfully I seem to have escaped the signing and the pub photos so no awkard shots of me looking lost but I am in the Breakfast shot, you can work it out. I caught ScarletBea at breakfast before everyone else arrived and stopped her writing her diary (sorry!) we were both still buzzing a bit from the night before. In fact I still am but that might be the stupid amount of coffee consumed today.
There were people from all over the Uk and a couple came through from Holland, but Louise who is on the front left of the breakfast photo flew in from the middle of Sweden. After getting back today she was talking about a four hour train journey tomorrow to go to Jim Butcher's signing in Gothenburg.

Offline Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • View Profile
    • BrawBlether
Just checked the photos on twitter, great to see everyone enjoying a good time and making the rest of us not jealous at all  ;D Loving your orange jumper @ScarletBea, you're impossible to miss in every photo!
https://brawblether.com

"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
Ok, got home safe and sound, but even though this trip took less time (just around 3 hours instead of closer to 5), it was much harder, I was/am so tired.
I feel I am literally coming on down from a 1.5 days high (not that I know what the illegal coming down feels like, hehe), and I think I slept about 4 hours last night.

Breakfast was super, and again I talked a lot (books!).
It was great meeting Rostum (no disturbing at all, I was just writing while waiting for people :)), and I think we managed to bring potential new people to the forum - or get people who'd registered and never really posted to start doing it (I'm looking here in the direction of fab new author Peter Newman!!!)
We all wrote/doddled on Marc's notebooks, who will be worth a lot of money one day ;D

I seem to have talked a lot mainly with contributors (the guys and girl who write articles for the main site): Geoff, Adrian and Steff, amongst others. Adrian and I ended up at Foyles afterwards, chatting through all the books on the Fantasy shelves :D

Did I miss you, Richard? Can't recognise you from the photo... And I can't believe I talked, was walking down the street with Mark and TOMunro and didn't know it was him! Just saw who he was from the twitter feed.

I've got lots of photos. Some ended up blurry because I didn't want to spend much time looking at the event through a screen, so I haven't included them here.
I'd love to have names for everyone (including Rostum's real one), and if some people don't want to be 'on the net', just let me know and I'll remove the photo from the online album :)

Enjoy!
Edit: << link deleted for the general public end of April - please contact me if you wanted any specific photos >>

Bea x

Oh, for those who haven't read it elsewhere  the quote of the night was actually from a passerby, as heard by TOMunro: "there's a queue outside a f*** bookshop!!!" ;D
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 11:49:36 AM by ScarletBea »

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
The Audience at the beginning photo I like the lady's steampunk goggles on top of her head near the front  :) did she dress up as her favourite character?

oh and the man sitting next to her seems to be looking downwards lol
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate