February 27, 2020, 05:48:40 AM

Author Topic: Fantasy-Faction Facebook Group  (Read 5749 times)

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
Re: Fantasy-Faction Facebook Group
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2015, 08:30:00 PM »
Should set one up on freenode, people who don't know IRC can use kiwiirc to join in really easily.  :P
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2015, 08:41:30 PM »
Should set one up on freenode, people who don't know IRC can use kiwiirc to join in really easily.  :P

Oh Lordy.
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Needs a Cheesy Quest Fantasy baa-aadly
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2015, 08:46:31 PM »
I was on Facebook before I was on any forums. Now I like forums better. Most of the stuff people post about on Facebook is silly and inconsequential. I mostly use it to keep up with the occasional interesting things people are doing.

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2015, 11:09:21 PM »

Oh Lordy.
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2015, 02:58:13 PM »
I use Facebook to keep up with family and friends but I pretty much stay away from anything else in there.  For discussions I have always just like going to forums better.

Also, IRC chatrooms were the best.
Word.

heh.  does that mean we're going to have our own slack channel soon?
If you browse the forums for irc I'm pretty sure you'll stumble over a thread about a now dead #fantasyfaction. ;)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2015, 06:14:06 PM »
I use Facebook to keep up with family and friends but I pretty much stay away from anything else in there.  For discussions I have always just like going to forums better.

Also, IRC chatrooms were the best.
Word.

heh.  does that mean we're going to have our own slack channel soon?
If you browse the forums for irc I'm pretty sure you'll stumble over a thread about a now dead #fantasyfaction. ;)
Interesting! How old was it? I think one of those free chatroom scripts would be great for the site...

Offline Kazreemo

• Acolyte of Aktu, God of Goats
  • Soulfinder
  • Hate will keep you alive where love fails #Jorgism
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2015, 09:02:32 AM »
Facebook is just more widely used I guess. It tends to be more instant, but I agree that is saturated with crap ... some of that crap makes does me laugh though  ::) Forums are more in depth, and usually topic specific but people do struggle with them. Just depends what you prefer. I think the fact that we have both is great. 
I'm the best at what I do, and what I do isn't very nice

Offline Overlord

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2015, 05:25:18 PM »
Problem with chat rooms is that you say good stuff and it gets lost ;-) Forums / Facebook it is around forever.

As said above, people saying Forums are weird and that take time to get used to makes me feel old! I remember a time before Friends Reunited... let along Facebook, Twitter, Myspace, Bebo, etc... Back then Forums were SO busy it was unreal. Even the small ones you could post in the morning, check back in the evening and find it almost impossible to read half the posts made since you'd been away.

Forum isn't going anywhere. It is just after speaking with a lot of people who don't use the forum as to why they basically said they spend most of their online and discussion time on Facebook Groups, so felt silly not to have one.
Founder: http://fantasy-faction.com
Editor: Fantasy-Faction Anthology (Aug 2014)
Author: "Son of…" in 1853 (2013)
Host: Fantasy-Faction's Grim Gathering

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2015, 06:05:23 PM »
Problem with chat rooms is that you say good stuff and it gets lost ;-) Forums / Facebook it is around forever.

As said above, people saying Forums are weird and that take time to get used to makes me feel old! I remember a time before Friends Reunited... let along Facebook, Twitter, Myspace, Bebo, etc... Back then Forums were SO busy it was unreal. Even the small ones you could post in the morning, check back in the evening and find it almost impossible to read half the posts made since you'd been away.

Forum isn't going anywhere. It is just after speaking with a lot of people who don't use the forum as to why they basically said they spend most of their online and discussion time on Facebook Groups, so felt silly not to have one.
And that's why forums are so much better for serious discussions. I do think a chat would be good though, I think it'd serve a different function in that it'd let people just hang out and chat about random things. There are a few threads here for stuff like that, a chatroom would be a better fit.  ;)

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2020, 05:37:17 AM »
Why do subjects like diversity in fantasy, religion in fantasy, lgbt topics etc get close down fast in the Facebook group yet here in the forum there stay open where everyone is civil to each other even if you disagree with each other. is it because it’s mainly writers here who can express themselves better without resorting to insults or is it because people who use forums today are of an older generation or because there’s less people on the forum then on Facebook.

What I don’t like in the Facebook group is that your posts get lost straight away. With people posting new stuff constantly about wheel of time.  ;)

And memes of the Witcher.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 05:42:20 AM by Eclipse »
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline hexa

« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2020, 05:45:28 AM »
Writers are capable of insulting each other.

The people on this forum are old geezers, and we don't start juvenile catfights with each other

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2020, 05:47:07 AM »
The people on this forum are old geezers, and we don't start juvenile catfights with each other

How dare you call me Old!!! Hehe fight fight fight
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 06:06:19 AM by Eclipse »
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2020, 08:00:33 AM »
I've never been on facebook, but I assume the comments section is similar to twitter, that I read sometimes.
Brevity, outrage, soundbites, headlines, that's what people are now aiming for when they write, be it a description of what they did or an opinion about a really serious and complex issue.

We (older people, or people who've been around more, or people who haven't grown with social media) know that the above is unsustainable. Different subjects require different approaches, and discussions are necessarily different too.

Anyway, look at news now: I would venture that 10% of people read the actual newsarticle while 90% stick with just the headline, and that's assuming that the article isn't just a continuation of the above (soundbites, partial, 'memorable quotes').
I'm trying to read and learn more, but it's difficult.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2020, 10:07:53 AM »
Yes, all of this. I've often noted that modern platforms aren't so much discussion platforms as declaration platforms. I prefer a more thoughtful chat.

That said, who wants to have a juvenile catfight? That sounds like fun.

Offline Skip

« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2020, 03:24:16 AM »
Cat fights, pfft. Dog fights, any day! <g>

I don't think it's age, I think it's the format. Conversations on FB are nearly impossible because of the format. Same goes for Twitter, and Instagram isn't even in the running. Anyone who thinks a picture is worth a thousand words should try having a debate on Instagram. *chortle*

When I taught online, I used forum software. Started out with PCBoard (talk about old!), then WebBoard. Only went to Blackboard when the university forced me to do so. IT people should not be allowed anywhere near education, says the teacher who worked in IT for 30 years.