May 27, 2018, 12:27:52 PM

Author Topic: Fantasy-Faction's Best of 2017  (Read 957 times)

Offline Autumn2May

• Word Mage
  • Administrator
  • Khaleesi
  • Does the noise in my head bother you?
    • View Profile
    • The Write Way To Type - Writing Blog
Fantasy-Faction's Best of 2017
« on: January 02, 2018, 02:41:49 PM »
Fantasy-Faction's Best of 2017 list is live! Congratulations to all the awesome authors that made the list!  ;D

http://fantasy-faction.com/2018/fantasy-factions-best-fantasy-books-of-2017

Offline ScarletBea

• Cruise Director, Positive Invisible Fighter, and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
Re: Fantasy-Faction's Best of 2017
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 03:29:38 PM »
Wow, all my 6 submissions are there, and I've read 3 more.
And now I want to read a bunch more from that list!!!
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
"It's time we steered by the stars, not by the lights of each passing ship" (general O.N. Bradley)

Also called Ashorvaed, in the Immortal Language of Henry Dale!

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 04:44:27 PM »
Superb list. I loved how the top 20 had enlarged covers.

A lot of books on the top could've been the winner. As I kept going through the list I kept thinking "Wait, this didn't win? And this one? And this one? Who won this?"

I'm both surprised by the winner (who is relatively more less known than the others) and also not that surprised considering the amount of praise I read throughout the net on it.

Guess I'll make the number 1 of the previous year the 1st read of the new year.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2018

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 07:40:37 PM »
Peter V Brett has really dropped in popularity. I remember when this site first started and Marc was a massive champion of Peter V Brett and lots of posters would say Warded Man was one of their favourite fantasy novels. 11 is not bad bad but a bit of a comedown for what should have been a crowning triumph.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • Dragon Duchess
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 09:50:29 PM »
That is a very tempting list, read a few, but not many. What a selection to read this year. Thanks @Autumn2May and all others who organised it and the front page article with the covers. ;D
'..all tapes left in a car for more than a fortnight metamorphose into Best of Queen albums....they listened to William Byrd's "We Are the Champions"" and Beethoven's "I Want to Break Free". Neither were as good as Vaughan Williams "Fat-Bottomed Girls".
Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman: Good Omens 1990

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2018, 09:56:57 PM »
Peter V Brett has really dropped in popularity. I remember when this site first started and Marc was a massive champion of Peter V Brett and lots of posters would say Warded Man was one of their favourite fantasy novels. 11 is not bad bad but a bit of a comedown for what should have been a crowning triumph.

The Painted/Warded Man had already kind of gone wrong before the end of book 1, and I think a lot of people just kind of got exasperated with it. I still haven't read book 3. I'd be more than happy to see something new from him, though.

Also, I'm not sure whose calendar makes Senlin Ascends a 2017 book. I read it in 2016, and it was published a couple of years before that, I seem to remember. The trad-pub reissue is out in 2018, I think.

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2018, 09:59:29 PM »

The Painted/Warded Man had already kind of gone wrong before the end of book 1, and I think a lot of people just kind of got exasperated with it. I still haven't read book 3. I'd be more than happy to see something new from him, though.

Also, I'm not sure whose calendar makes Senlin Ascends a 2017 book. I read it in 2016, and it was published a couple of years before that, I seem to remember. The trad-pub reissue is out in 2018, I think.

You're actually correct. From the Goodreads page it says Senlin Ascends was released in 2013...

It even got the Bookworm Best Award for Best Debut (2014)
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2018

Offline ScarletBea

• Cruise Director, Positive Invisible Fighter, and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2018, 10:07:09 PM »

In my opinion book 3 took a dip, then he returned to better levels with book 4 and this book 5 was good as well, but not the epic ending that I believe people were expecting - at least for me the last few chapters felt a bit underwhelming...

I was also quite surprised with this one!
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
"It's time we steered by the stars, not by the lights of each passing ship" (general O.N. Bradley)

Also called Ashorvaed, in the Immortal Language of Henry Dale!

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2018, 12:01:19 AM »
In shock that Kings of the Wyld was no 1. Stuff I like rarely seems to even make these lists let alone get the top spot.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Online CameronJohnston

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2018, 09:37:55 AM »
I think people liked Kings of the Wyld so much because at heart it is just a lot of fun, a good reprieve from all the grim serious real world news and fiction.

Preorders help an author more than you think!
http://www.cameronjohnston.net

Offline SevasTra82

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2018, 05:16:09 PM »
I think people liked Kings of the Wyld so much because at heart it is just a lot of fun, a good reprieve from all the grim serious real world news and fiction.

This may be the case.  I never heard of it until it was pointed out on this site.  Nicholas gave me a blurb on the book on Twitter and what you described is exactly why I want to read it now.  Light-hearted Fantasy just isn't common these days.

Offline Peat

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2018, 06:57:40 PM »
In shock that Kings of the Wyld was no 1. Stuff I like rarely seems to even make these lists let alone get the top spot.

I haven't been following the lists so I don't know what usually makes it, but I'm not at all surprised given how much positive press its been getting. Its definitely the most talked about book I've seen this year... although mainly not here, I've gotta say.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2018, 09:51:35 PM »

I haven't been following the lists so I don't know what usually makes it, but I'm not at all surprised given how much positive press its been getting. Its definitely the most talked about book I've seen this year... although mainly not here, I've gotta say.
I first heard about it on Tor.com. and it had a positive review there. We happened to go on one of our book buying expeditions not long after and I saw it and bought it on the strength of that review. I've already read it twice and will definitely reread in preparation for Bloody Rose.

I also just reread another that made the list. Sarah Gailey's River of Teeth, started the sequel: Taste of Marrow this morning.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com