February 22, 2020, 03:38:44 PM

Author Topic: Fantasy Books Similar To Morrowind?  (Read 6572 times)

Offline Peat

Re: Fantasy Books Similar To Morrowind?
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2016, 01:12:33 PM »
Raymond E. Feist & Janny Wurts' The Empire trilogy.

It features a heavy Eastern influence, feuding houses and some of the strange animals and races feel somewhat Morrowindian. The horse is not common either. It is the best likeness I can think of at the moment, although not hugely close.

I'd have to disagree on the nomination of the Serpentwar trilogy, which feels nothing like to me.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Jonny_Anonymous

• Builder
  • Bring Us The Girl And Wipe Away The Debt
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2016, 01:55:54 PM »
I don't know Morrowind, but reading your initial post, I think you might like the Vagrant, by Peter Newman.

Morrowind sits apart because of how unique and alien the environment is. Morrowind is an inhospitable land of volcanic ash deserts and salt-swamps with big fungus\mushroom trees and it is filled with weird creatures such as the giant flying jellyfish-like Netch, large two legged lizards called Guar and half crab half humanoids called the Dreugh. Below the surface of Morrowind there are huge underground cities filled with highly advanced technology that have been abandoned by a forgotten race called the Dwemer. The whole place is like a Lovecraftian High Fantasy combined with a Post Apocalypse.

I have actually read some Vagrant and it reminded me a bit of The Gunslinger crossed with Lone Wolf and Cub.
“There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for ever should we fail- should we fall- we will know that we have lived.”

? Anomander Rake

Offline JamesLatimer

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2016, 01:01:04 PM »
I have actually read some Vagrant and it reminded me a bit of The Gunslinger crossed with Lone Wolf and Cub.
That's the reaction I had when I saw the cover/heard the premise - but Book of the New Sun rather than Gunslinger, though it's equally apt (guns aside). Nobody else seems to have heard of LW&C...

Anyway, I also loved Morrowind and found the world incredibly atmospheric and unique, which is why the subsequent two have been slightly disappointing. I like my worldbuilding incredibly authentic or incredibly out-there. The generic middle ground frustrates me no end...

I can think of a few books that may be close to the feel of Morrowind. First that comes to mind is Kameron Hurley's no-holds-barred Mirror Empire with it's carnivorous trees and plant-based living swords, there's a definite Telvanni vibe! If you want things a more Redovan, there's Mark T Barnes Echoes of Empire series, with several non-human races in a stratified society with subtle (and not-so-subtle) political maneuvering, and flying ships, just for fun. Racking my brain for a third, and there's a chance that Rebecca Levene's Smiler's Fair has some of what you may be looking for. The worldbuilding is a bit of a hodge-podge of far-out ideas and very familiar earth-like cultures - a bit like Elder Scrolls altogether!

It's strange that having loved living in Morrowind that I don't write worlds more like it, but I often find game worlds too...cosmopolitan. There has to be all this variety for the sake of character creation, but with so much going on, it often feels a bit shallow (all Argonians are slaves, all Khajiit are thieves or drug addicts). Morrowind did manage to make Dunmer society varied and complex in a way that I don't feel like Skyrim did for the Nords, nor Oblivion for the Empire, despite the different provinces in each. For some reason, though, that sort of worldbuilding has never enticed me on it's own. Perhaps I'm too rational to be that inventive.  :-\

Offline Jonny_Anonymous

• Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2016, 03:07:33 PM »
That's the reaction I had when I saw the cover/heard the premise - but Book of the New Sun rather than Gunslinger, though it's equally apt (guns aside). Nobody else seems to have heard of LW&C...

Anyway, I also loved Morrowind and found the world incredibly atmospheric and unique, which is why the subsequent two have been slightly disappointing. I like my worldbuilding incredibly authentic or incredibly out-there. The generic middle ground frustrates me no end...

I can think of a few books that may be close to the feel of Morrowind. First that comes to mind is Kameron Hurley's no-holds-barred Mirror Empire with it's carnivorous trees and plant-based living swords, there's a definite Telvanni vibe! If you want things a more Redovan, there's Mark T Barnes Echoes of Empire series, with several non-human races in a stratified society with subtle (and not-so-subtle) political maneuvering, and flying ships, just for fun. Racking my brain for a third, and there's a chance that Rebecca Levene's Smiler's Fair has some of what you may be looking for. The worldbuilding is a bit of a hodge-podge of far-out ideas and very familiar earth-like cultures - a bit like Elder Scrolls altogether!

It's strange that having loved living in Morrowind that I don't write worlds more like it, but I often find game worlds too...cosmopolitan. There has to be all this variety for the sake of character creation, but with so much going on, it often feels a bit shallow (all Argonians are slaves, all Khajiit are thieves or drug addicts). Morrowind did manage to make Dunmer society varied and complex in a way that I don't feel like Skyrim did for the Nords, nor Oblivion for the Empire, despite the different provinces in each. For some reason, though, that sort of worldbuilding has never enticed me on it's own. Perhaps I'm too rational to be that inventive.  :-\

Yeah, it really saddens me Bethesda has gotten totally away from the weird and uniqueness of Morrowind with the games since. I feel like if they ever want to capture that spirit again then the best place to set the game would be Elsweyr. The Khajiit already have a pretty fleshed out culture that is non-western but also the OOG book describe northern Elsweyr as a silver\white desert made of sugar with giant crystal mesas and indigo oasis. That sounds bloody amazing to me. But likely if that game was ever made Beth would just turn it in to a generic desert  >:(

Thanks for the recommendations. Mirror Empire does sound interesting with the different coloured moons and suns and the different sexes, reminds me a bit of Vivec (seriously, he is a bi-racial, bi-sexial, bi-polar demigod warrior-poet. How is this not the coolest thing ever?) as for the other two books I think Echoes of Empire sounds the most up my alley and it's compared to Malazan which is a huge bonus. Smiler's Fair does sound interesting though so I will add it to my list as well.
“There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for ever should we fail- should we fall- we will know that we have lived.”

? Anomander Rake

Offline JamesLatimer

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2016, 10:58:41 AM »
Yeah, it really saddens me Bethesda has gotten totally away from the weird and uniqueness of Morrowind with the games since. I feel like if they ever want to capture that spirit again then the best place to set the game would be Elsweyr. The Khajiit already have a pretty fleshed out culture that is non-western but also the OOG book describe northern Elsweyr as a silver\white desert made of sugar with giant crystal mesas and indigo oasis. That sounds bloody amazing to me. But likely if that game was ever made Beth would just turn it in to a generic desert  >:(
I haven't played ESO, but apparently some of the depictions in there have drawn criticism for being too bland and generic. :/

Offline Jonny_Anonymous

• Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2016, 01:02:15 PM »
I haven't played ESO, but apparently some of the depictions in there have drawn criticism for being too bland and generic. :/

I play ESO and yeah a lot of it is kind of bland but I understand why it's that way. Because there is only so much they can do with the way the game is built without it crashing by having too many assets beacuse of all the people running around. However beacuse of Dragon Breaks and the like Beth still has an in-universe "get-out-of-jail-free" card they can use to make anything look like however they want. The  Void Nights specifically for Elsweyr. I would love to have the game set at that time, I even have it outlined in my head lol

? Anomander Rake