May 25, 2019, 08:56:30 AM

Author Topic: Fantasy author’s whose first language isn’t English  (Read 1643 times)

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
Fantasy author’s whose first language isn’t English
« on: June 02, 2018, 01:33:52 PM »
How many authors have you read where their first Language isn’t English. I think I’ve read quite a few I’m currently reading a Russian author at the minute and I’ve read a few American authors too 😛
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
Re: Fantasy author’s whose first language isn’t English
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2018, 05:31:31 PM »
I've read a portuguese one, Joao Barreiros.
Does Aliette de Bodard counts? She's bilingual.
Arturo Pérez-Reverte, spanish.

These are the only SFF books I've read by authors whose first language isn't english (although the portuguese one is only published in portuguese).

But @Eclipse, I thought you'd read our @Saraband's book ;D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Eclipse

• Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2018, 05:36:52 PM »
Yes , I’ve think I’ve read about 10 , goes to count them.

The House of Shattered Wings (Dominion of the Fallen #1) by Aliette de Bodard

Spoiler for Hiden:
A superb murder mystery, on an epic scale, set against the fall out – literally – of a war in Heaven.

Paris has survived the Great Houses War – just. Its streets are lined with haunted ruins, Notre-Dame is a burnt-out shell, and the Seine runs black with ashes and rubble. Yet life continues among the wreckage. The citizens continue to live, love, fight and survive in their war-torn city, and The Great Houses still vie for dominion over the once grand capital.

House Silverspires, previously the leader of those power games, lies in disarray. Its magic is ailing; its founder, Morningstar, has been missing for decades; and now something from the shadows stalks its people inside their very own walls.

Within the House, three very different people must come together: a naive but powerful Fallen, a alchemist with a self-destructive addiction, and a resentful young man wielding spells from the Far East. They may be Silverspires’ salvation. They may be the architects of its last, irreversible fall…

Shattered Sands by W.G. Saraband, 4/5

Spoiler for Hiden:
For years, Tamazi felt she was nothing like the other slave-girls. It was not until her master disappeared, the Great Vizier of the desert kingdom of Rilmaaqah, that a power older than the sands themselves took hold of her; a power that could finally free her, or enslave her forever.

Rilmaaqah is in chaos. The fires of rebellion spread, and the winds of change threaten the Mageocracy, as the common people rise with the courage to claim their share. But the sands hide many things, and it falls to an unlikely group of people to put a stop to death, before she sings her lullaby to the living.

The Immortals of Meluha (Shiva Trilogy #1) by Amish Tripathi 3/5

Spoiler for Hiden:
1900 BC. In what modern Indians mistakenly call the Indus Valley Civilisation. The inhabitants of that period called it the land of Meluha a near perfect empire created many centuries earlier by Lord Ram, one of the greatest monarchs that ever lived. This once proud empire and its Suryavanshi rulers face severe perils as its primary river, the revered Saraswati, is slowly drying to extinction. They also face devastating terrorist attacks from the east, the land of the Chandravanshis. To make matters worse, the Chandravanshis appear to have allied with the Nagas, an ostracised and sinister race of deformed humans with astonishing martial skills!

The only hope for the Suryavanshis is an ancient legend: When evil reaches epic proportions, when all seems lost, when it appears that your enemies have triumphed, a hero will emerge.

Is the rough-hewn Tibetan immigrant Shiva, really that hero? And does he want to be that hero at all? Drawn suddenly to his destiny, by duty as well as by love, will Shiva lead the Suryavanshi vengeance and destroy evil?

The Djinn Falls in Love & Other Stories 2/5 Various

Spoiler for Hiden:
A fascinating collection of new and classic tales of the fearsome Djinn, from bestselling, award-winning and breakthrough international writers.

Imagine a world filled with fierce, fiery beings, hiding in our shadows, in our dreams, under our skins. Eavesdropping and exploring; savaging our bodies, saving our souls. They are monsters, saviours, victims, childhood friends.

Some have called them genies: these are the Djinn. And they are everywhere. On street corners, behind the wheel of a taxi, in the chorus, between the pages of books. Every language has a word for them. Every culture knows their traditions. Every religion, every history has them hiding in their dark places. There is no part of the world that does not know them.

They are the Djinn. They are among us.

With stories from: Nnedi Okorafor, Neil Gaiman, Helene Wecker, Amal El-Mohtar, Catherine King, Claire North,  E.J. Swift, Hermes (trans. Robin Moger), Jamal Mahjoub, James Smythe, J.Y. Yang, Kamila Shamsie, Kirsty Logan, K.J. Parker, Kuzhali Manickavel, Maria Dahvana Headley, Monica Byrne, Saad Hossein, Sami Shah, Sophia Al-Maria and Usman Malik.

The Last Wish (Saga o Wied?minie #1) by Andrzej Sapkowski, Danusia Stok (Translator) 2/5

Spoiler for Hiden:
Geralt of Rivia is a witcher. A cunning sorcerer. A merciless assassin.

And a cold-blooded killer.

His sole purpose: to destroy the monsters that plague the world.

But not everything monstrous-looking is evil and not everything fair is good. . . and in every fairy tale there is a grain of truth.

The international hit that inspired the video game: The Witcher.

Captain Alatriste (Las aventuras del capitán Alatriste #1)by Arturo Pérez-Reverte, Margaret Sayers Peden (Translation) 4/5

Spoiler for Hiden:
"It is the height of Spain's celebrated golden century - but beyond the walls of the Royal Palace there is little on the streets of Madrid that glitters. The Invincible Armada has been defeated. The shadow of the Inquisition looms large. And the Thirty Years' War rages on in Flanders. When a courageous soldier of this war, Captain Diego Alatriste, is forced to retire after being wounded in battle, he returns home to live the comparatively tame - though hardly quiet - life of a swordsman-for-hire. In this dangerous city where a thrust of steel settles all matters, there is no stronger blade than Alatriste's." The captain is approached with an offer of work that involves giving a scare to some strangers soon to arrive in Madrid. But on the night of the attack, it becomes clear that these aren't ordinary travelers - and that someone is out for their blood. What happens next is the first in a series of riveting twists, with implications that will reverberate throughout the courts of Europe

"No era el hombre más honesto ni el más piadoso, pero era un hombre valiente"... Con estas palabras empieza El capitán Alatriste, la historia de un soldado veterano de los tercios de Flandes que malvive como espadachín a sueldo en el Madrid del siglo XVII. Sus aventuras peligrosas y apasionantes nos sumergen sin aliento en las intrigas de la Corte de una España corrupta y en decadencia, las emboscadas en callejones oscuros entre el brillo de dos aceros, las tabernas donde Francisco de Quevedo compone sonetos entre pendencias y botellas de vino, o los corrales de comedias donde las representaciones de Lope de Vega terminan a cuchilladas. Todo ello de la mano de personajes entrañables o fascinantes: el joven Íñigo Balboa, el implacable inquisidor fray Emilio Bocanegra, el peligroso asesino Gualterio Malatesta, o el diabólico secretario del rey, Luis de Alquézar. Acción, historia y aventura se dan cita en estas páginas inolvidables.

Night Watch (?????? #1) by Sergei Lukyanenko, Andrew Bromfield (Translator) 4/5

Spoiler for Hiden:
Others. They walk among us. Observing.

Set in contemporary Moscow, where shape shifters, vampires, and street-sorcerers linger in the shadows, Night Watch is the first book of the hyper-imaginative fantasy pentalogy from best-selling Russian author Sergei Lukyanenko.

This epic saga chronicles the eternal war of the “Others,” an ancient race of humans with supernatural powers who must swear allegiance to either the Dark or the Light. The agents of the Dark – the Night Watch – oversee nocturnal activity, while the agents of the Light keep watch over the day. For a thousand years both sides have maintained a precarious balance of power, but an ancient prophecy has decreed that a supreme Other will one day emerge, threatening to tip the scales. Now, that day has arrived. When a mid-level Night Watch agent named Anton stumbles upon a cursed young woman – an uninitiated Other with magnificent potential – both sides prepare for a battle that could lay waste to the entire city, possible the world. With language that throbs like darkly humorous hard-rock lyrics about blood and power, freedom and responsibility, Night Watch is a chilling, cutting-edge thriller, a pulse-pounding ride of fusion fiction that will leave you breathless

The War of the Usurper (The Golden Throne #1) by Elí Freysson

Spoiler for Hiden:
The interstellar Realm of the Glorious Dawn has endured for eight centuries, providing stability and law in the wake of the Long Darkness. Now the assassination of King Tunus has plunged the Realm into civil war, and through the years eleven very different people get caught up in major events.

An ageing royal guard, an opportunistic rogue, an inscrutable mystic, an ambitious mercenary, a weary partisan fighter... all these and more find themselves in a spot where great events must turn on their actions.

As the Realm burns, young Princess Maraka, sole rightful heir to the throne, must weather tragedy, assassins, and the pressure of being a living lynchpin for the loyalist war effort. Before her lies a monumental task: Becoming more than a mere symbol. She must become the leader her battered subjects need.

@ScarletBea , did you forget Elí ?

« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 07:25:40 PM by Eclipse »

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Offline Eclipse

• Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2018, 07:38:21 PM »
Inky can you tell me more about The Ronin Express: A Literary Journal

The front cover has a photo of a train in goodreads, I really can't tell what it's about ,  is it various stories based on a train?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 07:49:47 PM by Eclipse »

Online Eli_Freysson

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2018, 08:17:41 PM »
I was going to semi-jokingly point to myself, but I see I was beaten to it. :)
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2018, 08:19:21 PM »
Ohmygawd I did, I forgot Elí!
Sorry sorry sorry :-[
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2018, 09:00:39 PM »
How many authors have you read where their first Language isn’t English. I think I’ve read quite a few I’m currently reading a Russian author at the minute and I’ve read a few American authors too 😛

Your question isn't very clear to me though. Do you mean authors whose mother tongue isn't english but write in it (that would be my case if I wrote something, being French), or do you mean people writing in their mother tongue and then getting translated? (as would never happen to me, because fuck written french).
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Eclipse

• Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2018, 09:25:25 PM »
How many foreign authors have you read, Who are non native English speakers ?

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2018, 09:31:18 PM »
How many foreign authors have you read, Who are non native English speakers ?

It depends, were they writing in English, or did they have a translator? I've read hundreds of manga, all from japanese authors. I've read hundreds of french authors from BD to novels. I've read a fair bit of foreign authors, though not nearly as many as others, my question remains though. Are you talking about bilingual authors or plain and simple foreigners not willing/able to write in English?
They're a different crowd. Or do you not mind and amalgamate?
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2018, 04:30:47 AM »
Inky can you tell me more about The Ronin Express: A Literary Journal

The front cover has a photo of a train in goodreads, I really can't tell what it's about ,  is it various stories based on a train?

It's pretty much a collection of short stories, but not related to trains, unfortunately. (I think that something to do with the publisher's name) The short stories I write for the second issue of Ronin isn't SFF though, they're more of the horror/ thriller genre. Actually, if anyone wanted to read it, they can visit my online posting at https://www.booksie.com/portfolio-view/S.+K.+Inkslinger-181459:-X (Please don't critically dissect and disembowel my stories, though)

@Nora I think Eclipse meant authors that doesn't have english as their native language yet writes in english, so authors who had their work translated into english wouldn't count? Was that right @Eclipse?

Offline Eclipse

• Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2018, 07:06:34 AM »
How many authors from different nationalities have you read , not counting British,American,Australian, Canada,New Zealand or any other country where their first language is English  and your own Nationality where you were born because you bound to have read some authors from your own homeland.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 07:19:21 AM by Eclipse »

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2018, 11:19:37 AM »
Hahaha. It's like you stubbornly refuse to answer us Eclipse. I'm not asking about the author's nationality. I'm asking in what language they wrote their work.
A japanese born author counts for you yes? Does it count he/she wrote in English? Or only if he/she wrote in Japanese? Or it doesn't matter so long as he was japanese? Just pick one, give me an answer instead of another question.

Offline Eclipse

• Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2018, 11:26:09 AM »
Never mind.

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2018, 11:37:28 AM »
Alright I guess never mind indeed.