November 19, 2019, 06:11:28 AM

Author Topic: Fantastic lines from books  (Read 2361 times)

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
Re: Fantastic lines from books
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2018, 08:13:51 PM »
“The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.” - Neuromancer
We read it in the FF book club ages ago, so if you are going to start it, check out our topics. :)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Skip

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2018, 10:05:06 PM »
People only belive, what they want to belive.

-Wizard´s first rule

I really like that one because I never heard anything as true as this.

Agreed, though Paul Simon's line is the one that I remember most often. From "The Boxer"
Still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest

Offline Skip

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2018, 10:09:16 PM »
>“The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.” - Neuromancer

Trouble with that one is, you gotta be old enough to remember CRT televisions. And the concept of a dead channel, which is pretty much nonsensical in a modern context.

Offline Peat

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2018, 12:42:43 AM »
“The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.” - Neuromancer
We read it in the FF book club ages ago, so if you are going to start it, check out our topics. :)

Oh I've already read it. Wonderful, if at times frustrating, book.

And I guess Skip's right about the line being dated... but that makes it no less fantastic to me.

While I'm here, I'm going to unload a few more from fantasy's most quotable woman:

“You call yourself some kind of goddess and you know nothing, madam, nothing. What don't die can't live. What don't live can't change. What don't change can't learn. The smallest creature that dies in the grass knows more than you.”

“Don’t trust the cannibal just ’cos he’s usin’ a knife and fork!”

"And stars don’t care what you wish, and magic don’t make things better, and no one doesn’t get burned who sticks their hand in a fire. If you want to amount to anything as a witch, Magrat Garlick, you got to learn three things. What’s real, what’s not real, and what’s the difference.”

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2018, 08:01:54 AM »
While I'm here, I'm going to unload a few more from fantasy's most quotable woman:
Was that Nanny Ogg?
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Peat

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2018, 10:27:05 AM »
Was that Nanny Ogg?

All Weatherwax. I can't think of a literary character that gets better lines than her.

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2018, 01:51:52 PM »
>“The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.” - Neuromancer

Trouble with that one is, you gotta be old enough to remember CRT televisions. And the concept of a dead channel, which is pretty much nonsensical in a modern context.
Someone did re-use this line more recently to mean a clear blue sky. I wish I could remember who. Charles Stross, maybe?

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2018, 03:20:07 PM »

Yeah, it's tough to write cyberpunk that ages well. I'm sure my own stuff will have tons of inaccuracies in ten years or so (one example - I never even though of adding the "moonwalking" shoes Google is creating for walking in VR, but they may end up being the go-to solution).

https://uploadvr.com/google-is-exploring-the-idea-of-vr-infinite-walking-shoes-with-tiny-wheels/

Offline ArhiX

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2018, 07:38:42 PM »
From Gardens of the Moon:

“Tell me, Tool, what dominates your thoughts?'
The Imass shrugged before replying.
'I think of futility, Adjunct.'
'Do all Imass think about futility?'
'No. Few think at all.'
'Why is that?'
The Imass leaned his head to one side and regarded her.
'Because Adjunct, it is futile.”
"The world is full of stories, and from time to time, they permit themselves to be told."

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2018, 08:42:44 PM »
Was that Nanny Ogg?

All Weatherwax. I can't think of a literary character that gets better lines than her.
Hard to top 'I aten't dead.'

Offline Dan D Jones

« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2018, 01:28:24 PM »

That's one of my favorite lines as well but its effectiveness is dying.  To grasp it, you need to know what a CRT television looked like when there was no signal coming in.  Modern flat panels don't have that appearance. To a constantly increasingly portion of the reading audience, that line is meaningless.

**Ninja'd by Skip.  Should have read the whole thread before responding.