July 20, 2019, 05:32:51 PM

Author Topic: Fantastic lines from books  (Read 2010 times)

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
Fantastic lines from books
« on: December 08, 2018, 02:19:07 PM »
I just read this in Lavie Tidhar’s “The Bookman.”

She came through the door like — sunshine? Wind? Like spice? ... He fell in love the way trees do, which is to say, forever. It was a love with roots that buried deep, entangled, grew together. Like two trees leaned into each other, sheltering each other with their leaves, finding solace and strength in the wide encompassing forest that was the city, holding together in the multitude of alien trees.

That one line in bold almost needs nothing else. I think i’ll Remember it every time I try to write about any great love.

What lines have jumped off the page for you, and into your heart?
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Peat

Re: Fantastic lines from books
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2018, 02:50:38 PM »
This thread could go on some time, but straight off the top of my head...

Sir Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum

‘There’s no greys, only white that’s got grubby.  I’m surprised you don’t know that.  And sin, young man, is when you treat people as things.  Including yourself.  That’s what sin is.’
‘It’s a lot more complicated than that -’
‘No.  It ain’t.  When people say things are a lot more complicated than that, they means they’re getting worried that they won’t like the truth.  People as things, that’s where it starts.’

Offline Slaykomimi

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2018, 10:16:00 AM »
People only belive, what they want to belive.

-Wizard´s first rule

I really like that one because I never heard anything as true as this.
Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind.

-Edward d. Morrison

Offline Peat

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2018, 10:53:00 AM »
From a webcomic, but I couldn't resist

"The shortest verse in the bible is Jesus wept. The only thing wrong with it is the past tense" - Something Positive

And now for some proper Gandalf sass

“Fool of a Took!" he growled. "This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party. Throw yourself in next time, and then you will be no further nuisance.”

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2018, 10:56:27 AM »
(sidenote: I love how people remember quotes... I sometimes find things that touch me, hit me, but if I don't write them down at the time - usually in my journal, to then ponder about them - I completely forget them!)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2018, 11:06:20 AM »
Probably the most memorable opening lines from fantasy and otherwise:

"The man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed." -The Gunslinger (Dark Tower#1)

and

“In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort.” -The Hobbit

Online ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2018, 11:16:44 AM »
Oh you mentioned first lines and I remembered Red Sister!
Something like (I'm not going downstairs to check...)
"You should be sufficiently prepared when fighting a nun. <Name here> brought 200 men."

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Peat

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2018, 03:33:32 PM »
Oh you mentioned first lines and I remembered Red Sister!
Something like (I'm not going downstairs to check...)
"You should be sufficiently prepared when fighting a nun. <Name here> brought 200 men."

"It is important, when killing a nun, to ensure that you bring an army of sufficient size. For Sister Thorn of the Sweet Mercy convent Lano Tacsis brought two hundred men."

(I'm googling half-remembered lines to get my quotes, so its not all that remarkable that I've got so many :P)

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2018, 03:38:28 PM »
"It is important, when killing a nun, to ensure that you bring an army of sufficient size. For Sister Thorn of the Sweet Mercy convent Lano Tacsis brought two hundred men."

(I'm googling half-remembered lines to get my quotes, so its not all that remarkable that I've got so many :P)

... does that make sense in context? Like, are nuns in the setting divine warrior badasses?

Anyway:

“It was Sam's first view of a battle of Men against Men, and he did not like it much. He was glad that he could not see the dead face. He wondered what the man's name was and where he came from; and if he was really evil of heart, or what lies or threats had led him on the long march from his home; and if he would rather have stayed there in peace.”
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Online ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2018, 05:08:55 PM »

... does that make sense in context? Like, are nuns in the setting divine warrior badasses?
I don't know about divine, but they're definitely warrior badasses ;D

Offline Not Lu

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2018, 05:50:07 PM »
Don't let the cleric die. But, if you do, clean up afterward.

Offline Justan Henner

• Barbarian who pronounces are, our and hour all the same way
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2018, 06:20:04 PM »
One of my favorites from Lies of Locke Lamora:

“When you don't know everything that you could know, it's a fine time to shut your fucking noisemaker and be polite.”
- Scott Lynch, The Lies of Locke Lamora

« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 06:38:43 PM by Justan Henner »

Offline Peat

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2018, 06:53:15 PM »

I don't know about divine, but they're definitely warrior badasses ;D

I've actually never read Red Sister, but I did kinda know that quote. It is one hell of a scene setting first line.

Anyway, a very lengthy one...

“All right," said Susan. "I'm not stupid. You're saying humans need... fantasies to make life bearable."

REALLY? AS IF IT WAS SOME KIND OF PINK PILL? NO. HUMANS NEED FANTASY TO BE HUMAN. TO BE THE PLACE WHERE THE FALLING ANGEL MEETS THE RISING APE.

"Tooth fairies? Hogfathers? Little—"

YES. AS PRACTICE. YOU HAVE TO START OUT LEARNING TO BELIEVE THE LITTLE LIES.

"So we can believe the big ones?"

YES. JUSTICE. MERCY. DUTY. THAT SORT OF THING.

"They're not the same at all!"

YOU THINK SO? THEN TAKE THE UNIVERSE AND GRIND IT DOWN TO THE FINEST POWDER AND SIEVE IT THROUGH THE FINEST SIEVE AND THEN SHOW ME ONE ATOM OF JUSTICE, ONE MOLECULE OF MERCY. AND YET—Death waved a hand. AND YET YOU ACT AS IF THERE IS SOME IDEAL ORDER IN THE WORLD, AS IF THERE IS SOME...SOME RIGHTNESS IN THE UNIVERSE BY WHICH IT MAY BE JUDGED.

"Yes, but people have got to believe that, or what's the point—"

MY POINT EXACTLY.”

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2018, 08:22:02 PM »
Love your Pratchett quotes, @Peat.
Here's another:

“Elves are wonderful. They provoke wonder.
Elves are marvellous. They cause marvels.
Elves are fantastic. They create fantasies.
Elves are glamorous. They project glamour.
Elves are enchanting. They weave enchantment.
Elves are terrific. They beget terror.
The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
No one ever said elves are nice.
Elves are bad.”

Terry Pratchett, Lords and Ladies

It's the first sentence, so you don't have any context. And that's what makes it so powerful in my eyes.
I've rarely read a first sentence that pulled me in that quick.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Peat

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2018, 08:56:19 PM »
Yeah. Its kinda on my TBR list for that line alone.

A few other lines that for me really sold what the book was allllll about super quickly

"Mrs Dursley was thin and blonde and had nearly twice the usual amount of neck, which came in very useful as she spent so much of her time craning over garden fences, spying on the neighbours."

and

“The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.” - Neuromancer