November 30, 2020, 01:28:33 AM

Author Topic: Emergency recommendation needed  (Read 8191 times)

Offline Francis Knight

Re: Emergency recommendation needed
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2015, 07:23:13 PM »
The Painted Man is really, really fantasy. There's not subtle about it - it throw you in the deep end with demons and warriors and whatnot.
I had..issues with it. Firstly that I could see where it was all going from chapter one (and was not proved wrong). So I was pretty bored.  And ..OK prolly not best get into that. It was not for me.

What sort of other books does the friend like reading? I mean this could be the difference between reccing Sandman Slim and Dragonlance. Each are good to their audience but...
My tongue has been in my cheek for so long, I've eroded a new mouth.

Duellists Trilogy (as Julia Knight) coming soon from Orbit!

http://www.juliaknight.co.uk/

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2015, 07:44:54 PM »
Hmm I sure his read a few fantasy books by now look at the OP date hehe

@Jian maybe can update us
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Francis Knight

« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2015, 12:34:29 PM »
Bah! Necro threads....

:)
My tongue has been in my cheek for so long, I've eroded a new mouth.

Duellists Trilogy (as Julia Knight) coming soon from Orbit!

http://www.juliaknight.co.uk/

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Needs a Cheesy Quest Fantasy baa-aadly
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2015, 08:37:10 PM »
This forum thread is making me think I should add The Painted Man to my To-Read list! Never considered it before, as I'm not a big reader of traditional fantasy, but it seems like it's a must read.
Do it.

:)

And then pretend the rest of the series doesn't exist.

(It's not that bad, but I've found each subsequent book more and more disappointing. Maybe I'll finally get through The Skull Throne on my third attempt).

Offline Brother of the Sixth Order

• Godling
  • Cleverness..to be able to remember to tell a story
    • The Grim Dark Files
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2015, 08:38:59 PM »
I would try Theft of Swords by Michael J Sullivan, chapter 1 is one the best introductions to a fantasy novel i have read
There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man

Offline ClintACK

« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2015, 09:09:54 PM »
I recently coerced my friend into reading the first two chapters of a fantasy book of my choosing. The problem is, I can't decide which, because I really want to hook him into reading fantasy. The only fantasy books he's read thus far are a few Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings. He was not impressed. He normally reads physics textbooks, math, etc.

This is an old thread, but mention of Physics and math made me think of Time Shifters by Shanna Lauffey. It's a time travel series and a lot of science gets slipped in so smoothly that you don't realize you've been reading Einstein's theories if you're not looking for it. Book four really goes into current temporal theories, quoting known experts in the field like Hawkings, Thorne and Davies.

It's also a good adventurous read with a strong female protagonist. Win-win.

Normally reads physics textbooks... I might ease him into fantasy by way of sci-fi.  Larry Niven has some cool short novels that turn on real science points -- like Neutron Star.  And the first Heechee book, Gateway is quite good.  The Martian.

The Warlock series by Christopher Stasheff is fairly sf-in-a-fantasy-trapping -- the protagonist is a space explorer showing up on a medieval-trapping world where the "witches" have telepathy and telekinesis.  (It's sort of a fallen galactic empire, spreading back out to the distant colonies that were left isolated in the collapse.)

Or some really hard SF like James Halperin's two books -- The Truth Machine and the First Immortal.  The first one is our world with the invention of a lie detector that actually works, and is cheaply mass-produced.  The implications for everything -- crime, politics, science, business, personal relationships... he explores it all.  The second is from the PoV of someone who chooses to freeze himself at death and then his great-something-grandson invents the nanotechnology to reassemble frozen brains and brings him back to life in a strange distant future.

The single-question What-if fiction can appeal to a physics-textbook reader where swords-and-sorcery adventure might not.

Sci-fi: Fantasy's gateway drug for nerds.

If he really only reads textbooks, it's probably a lost cause, though.  Reading for knowledge and reading for the emotional ride is a different pursuit.