September 30, 2020, 10:05:33 PM

Author Topic: Elantris  (Read 8509 times)

Offline Overlord

Re: Elantris
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2011, 09:31:35 PM »
OK
#1 why isnt this in book of the month as we are talking mistborn instead of elantris?
#2 Sanderson does actually flat out say Vin is weaker when he says " Dont ever get into a pushing contest " as Kelsier points out to Vin that nearly everyone is bigger/stronger
#3 please dont feel underfire OL, I dont think your a sexist pig. I swear!
#4 I know I have better points but my sleep deprived brain cant access any more information!

1. Good Point ;)
2. He does say quite soon after though that Vin is probably as strong as him
3. *gulp*
4. erm... *gulp*

:D
Founder: http://fantasy-faction.com
Editor: Fantasy-Faction Anthology (Aug 2014)
Author: "Son of…" in 1853 (2013)
Host: Fantasy-Faction's Grim Gathering

Offline Zziz

« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2011, 11:17:47 PM »
OK
#1 why isnt this in book of the month as we are talking mistborn instead of elantris?
#2 Sanderson does actually flat out say Vin is weaker when he says " Dont ever get into a pushing contest " as Kelsier points out to Vin that nearly everyone is bigger/stronger
#3 please dont feel underfire OL, I dont think your a sexist pig. I swear!
#4 I know I have better points but my sleep deprived brain cant access any more information!

First of all, one of the first rules of literature is that the speaker is not the author. The speaker is always a character or a narrator. In this case, characters. Everyone should know this when they are reading. Sanderson was not saying Vin was weaker, Kelsier was saying that. Kelsier is not Sanderson. Kelsier was created by Sanderson.

Secondly, I think everyone who is going crazy about this whole 'Vin is a weak female' theme needs to take a step back and realize that it is purposefully done. Of course she's weak- at the beginning. She's a street urchin, she has no friends, she has no family, and she's teetering on the brink of death amidst poverty and famine. Vin's entire story arc is about her transition from this feeble state to something greater, something more powerful.

"Don't ever get into a pushing match with someone." You think that those words are proof that Vin is weak? Please. Physically, yeah. She's under five feet and thin as a wire. That doesn't make her weak. Maybe you haven't read the entire series yet, so I won't spoil anything, but in my opinion this whole 'Vin is weak' movement is ridiculous.

Bryndled1

« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2011, 11:36:46 PM »
First off " Vin is weak " has been discussed in 3 different facets on this topic

#1 As a weak female character, not ringing true ect.

#2 Physically weak, as I think that we have all agreed that she doesnt possess an inordinate amount of natural physical strength

#3 Magically weak, which I think all agree may have been true @ the beginning as she was untrained, yet Blatantly untrue as she becomes the strongest mistborn of her generation.

Your argumentation relies heavily on grouping all 3 of these catagories as synonymous, which may appear true if the only word you are looking for is "weak" however each of these topics have little or nothing to do with each other.

Offline Overlord

« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2011, 05:21:25 AM »
Back to Elantris... I bought it in the end... but not going to read it for a while I don't think
Founder: http://fantasy-faction.com
Editor: Fantasy-Faction Anthology (Aug 2014)
Author: "Son of…" in 1853 (2013)
Host: Fantasy-Faction's Grim Gathering

Offline Captain-Dr-Proffesor

« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2011, 02:21:32 AM »
Elantris was the first work I ever read by Brandon Sanderson, and I was quite pleased with it. The story was full of interesting and complex characters, although, as previously discussed, his female characters are not up to par. It's probably one of my favorites by him, although I haven't read Way of Kings yet. I liked how the turn of each viewpoint made me anxious to keep reading to see what would happen. This left me unable to put the book down until I was finished.