October 20, 2014, 09:06:42 AM

Author Topic: Elantris  (Read 699 times)

oppos3d

Elantris
« on: January 10, 2012, 12:27:23 PM »
  • [agreed!]0
  • [hmm, not sure]0
  • I just finished Elantris after a very long break.  I have to say, I love the way mr. Sanderson builds up a story and a world, then in the last 100 pages captures the reader so much that there is absolutely no way they can put the book down...  I thought it was great overall, however there is alot of unanswered questions about the book.  It seems this war against Fjordell has just began at the end of the book.  Just because a few of the key players in the derethi religion died should not mean the war ended.  I would like to see more on the war and the after effects of the re-installment of the elantrians.  Overall it was a good read, I just feel like i'm missing alot.

Overlord

Re: Elantris
    « Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 11:18:52 AM »
  • [agreed!]0
  • [hmm, not sure]0
  • I just finished Elantris after a very long break.  I have to say, I love the way mr. Sanderson builds up a story and a world, then in the last 100 pages captures the reader so much that there is absolutely no way they can put the book down...  I thought it was great overall, however there is alot of unanswered questions about the book.  It seems this war against Fjordell has just began at the end of the book.  Just because a few of the key players in the derethi religion died should not mean the war ended.  I would like to see more on the war and the after effects of the re-installment of the elantrians.  Overall it was a good read, I just feel like i'm missing alot.

I liked Elantris, but I do think that it is kind of a lesser version of Warbreaker. For me, Elantris felt a little bit long and I didn't like how the characters didn't recognise each other for such a long time - I thought that was a little odd. Still enjoyed it though - just no where near as much as Warbreaker :D
    Founder: http://fantasy-faction.com
    Editor: Fantasy-Faction Anthology (Aug 2014)
    Author: "Son of…" in 1853 (2013)
    Host: Fantasy-Faction's Grim Gathering

oppos3d

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 01:03:27 PM »
  • [agreed!]0
  • [hmm, not sure]0
  • Im reading Warbreaker now, and I have to say it has me gripped for sure.  I love the story line so far (only 200 pages in) and am really excited to finish this one.

michaelramm

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 01:47:26 PM »
  • [agreed!]0
  • [hmm, not sure]0
  • I loved Elantris much more that I thought that I would! My first Sanderson book was Mistborn (just the first one) and I absolutely LOVED it. I was hesitant about Elantris because a lot of what I have heard about Sanderson is that his series' book are great, but the single novels were not as good. And the fact that Elantris was his first published novel, and those are usually not as good as the once later in their career.

I loved the light use of and mystery of the magic in Elantris. It was a great book. I am hoping to read Warbreaker this year.
    Currently Reading: Asssassin's Apprentice, Theft of Swords, Gardens of the Moon, Prince of Thorns

Favorite Authors: Tolkien, Sanderson, Kemp, Salvatore, Sullivan

goodreads: michaelramm

booktrunk

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 02:59:37 PM »
  • [agreed!]0
  • [hmm, not sure]0
  • I've just finished reading Elantris and Warbreaker.

For me Elantris just had the edge of the two.  But I really enjoyed reading both of them.  Makes a nice change to have a stand alone fantasy novel to read  ;D

Steph

Overlord

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 08:12:41 AM »
  • [agreed!]0
  • [hmm, not sure]0
  • From what I've heard - Sanderson is planning to write a sequel to Warbreaker, which would be cool because the characters at the end just kind of walked off into the distance... Be great to catch up with them and see what they are up too :)
    Founder: http://fantasy-faction.com
    Editor: Fantasy-Faction Anthology (Aug 2014)
    Author: "Son of…" in 1853 (2013)
    Host: Fantasy-Faction's Grim Gathering

Tags: