October 19, 2019, 12:53:47 AM

Author Topic: Ebooks (and Readers) > Physical books  (Read 592 times)

Offline JRTroughton

Re: Ebooks (and Readers) > Physical books
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2019, 09:38:49 PM »
I like both.

Kindle Voyage is brilliant for reading in bed due to the adaptive light. I bounce between physical copies and ebooks, generally picking up Big Fantasy Tomes on Kindle for the sake of convenience.

I do miss the cover art though.

Online cupiscent

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2019, 11:20:36 PM »
Trust me, the quickest way to know what David Abulafia has to say about Emperor Otto's dealings with the Hohenstaufen is to scan. If all I wanted was the Battle of Bouvines, then sure, a search in an ebook probably does the job. But scanning an ebook is incredibly frustrating because it's so sloooow. Add to that my spatial memory--I can remember that a wanted passage was on the verso page about mid-way down--and the physical book still has it all over the ebook.

Gosh yes, THIS. Thing is, I also do this for fiction. Author drops a new hint on page 257, which makes me go, "Oh HEY, what if this guy is THAT guy's brother??" If I'm reading a physical book, I flip back and find the previous material that I think connects up on this (which is easy to do because I remember that spatial element, and where it came related to other happenings in the book, it's so quick and easy) and see if it says what I thought it did. I can't do that with an e-book.

Not to mention the unbelievable pain in my arse that footnotes represent on e-reader. All notes are endnotes to an e-reader (or at least to my e-reader), and that quick flick of the eyes that doesn't interrupt the reading becomes an arduous process. It's possibly that part of why I stopped reading Jay Kristoff's Nevernight was because I couldn't be bothered with clicking through on multiple footnotes per page, and a lot of the good jokes were in the footnotes.

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2019, 12:37:36 AM »

- Ability to search for events that you may have misread/misunderstood on the go.

I switched to full Kindle years ago, but this one really doesn't work for me. I have a far easier time finding those flipping pages and passing my eye over various pages really quickly than touching the screen over and over haha.
Specially when you can also use various markers (or just your fingers, really) on a lot of pages and see like, pages 30, 108 and 317 much, much more easily haha. It's a little frustrating to try to go back to check a reference or foreshadow in the Kindle.
The notes aren't really helpful for that either, specially if you make a lot of them.

The ability to highlight passages and not  feel guilty for "damaging" the book, though, that one is really irreplaceable.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 12:40:28 AM by Lanko »
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline isos81

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2019, 08:00:32 AM »
I still find bookstores charming. Just came out of Barnes and Noble store here and just browsing books on shelves is a fantastic way to kill time.

I did the same thing yesterday while waiting for my wife to pick me up :) Bookstores are nostalgic and great places for killing time.
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2019, 08:06:35 AM »
I still find bookstores charming. Just came out of Barnes and Noble store here and just browsing books on shelves is a fantastic way to kill time.

I did the same thing yesterday while waiting for my wife to pick me up :) Bookstores are nostalgic and great places for killing time.
And if everybody just did that, they'll soon vanish, sorry >:( Rent and overheads aren't paid in nostalgic feelings ::)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline isos81

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2019, 08:48:45 AM »

And if everybody just did that, they'll soon vanish, sorry >:( Rent and overheads aren't paid in nostalgic feelings ::)

My wife keeps refusing of me buying her an e-book reader and keeps buying paper books. The bookstores will be around at least for a while :)
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

Offline Bender

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2019, 02:34:02 PM »

I switched to full Kindle years ago, but this one really doesn't work for me. I have a far easier time finding those flipping pages and passing my eye over various pages really quickly than touching the screen over and over haha.
Specially when you can also use various markers (or just your fingers, really) on a lot of pages and see like, pages 30, 108 and 317 much, much more easily haha. It's a little frustrating to try to go back to check a reference or foreshadow in the Kindle.
The notes aren't really helpful for that either, specially if you make a lot of them.

The ability to highlight passages and not  feel guilty for "damaging" the book, though, that one is really irreplaceable.

I just use the Kindle app on my phone, but search is one of my oft used feature. When I read abook, I always keep a lookout for easter eggs author may have dropped. Esp, in a series like Malazan you have a reference to a event that happened 2 books before and using Kindle just lets me switch books on the fly, look for the reference and then get back to  current read.
Not all those who wander are lost

Offline isos81

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2019, 02:45:42 PM »

I just use the Kindle app on my phone, but search is one of my oft used feature. When I read abook, I always keep a lookout for easter eggs author may have dropped. Esp, in a series like Malazan you have a reference to a event that happened 2 books before and using Kindle just lets me switch books on the fly, look for the reference and then get back to  current read.

I never ever notice them during the read. Reread web sites point those out, tho :)