October 18, 2019, 10:41:04 AM

Author Topic: Ebooks (and Readers) > Physical books  (Read 589 times)

Offline Bender

Ebooks (and Readers) > Physical books
« on: September 18, 2019, 12:09:43 AM »
The smell of paper and a new book excites me still, but it's not comparable to e-books/readers.

- Ability to switch books on the go.
- Ability to search for events that you may have misread/misunderstood on the go.
- Ease of carrying multiple books on the go.

Ebooks are the future.
Not all those who wander are lost

Offline NedMarcus

Re: Ebooks (and Readers) > Physical books
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2019, 12:58:36 AM »
Yet print books are remarkably tenacious. It really looks like the future will be print books, ebooks, and audiobooks.

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2019, 02:59:29 AM »
It's swings and roundabouts. My ereader was SO VERY convenient for taking overseas with me, and for reading on my commute. (Especially if I want to read Neal Stephenson...) But the software that interfaces with my ereader is no longer supported and the thing itself cannot run apps, and I literally have NO IDEA how to get library ebooks onto my ereader so... *shrug*

Offline isos81

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2019, 07:27:10 AM »
Bea and I had a discussion about this. I presented my arguments and she presented hers.

There's no right or wrong here but I have to say, ebooks are the future :)
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2019, 07:49:47 AM »
ebooks are IN the future, they're not the future ;D

Yet print books are remarkably tenacious. It really looks like the future will be print books, ebooks, and audiobooks.
This.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2019, 07:54:00 AM »
I like both

Tried smelling my ebook but it’s just not the same as a paper book.

According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2019, 08:14:19 AM »
Many many people like to get away from a screen and read a physical book. Both wll be around forever.

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things

Online S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2019, 08:20:34 AM »
Many many people like to get away from a screen and read a physical book. Both wll be around forever.

+1 on this. I've spent already spent most of my time in front of a screen, so it's physical books for me all the way.

Offline isos81

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2019, 08:26:09 AM »
I wonder, how many of you still write mails? Anyone still smelling the letter? Trying to stay away the screen? Or do you just send an email and notify the receiver with your cell phone :)

Books might be still around but ebook are the future ;D ;D
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline Lu Kudzoza

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2019, 04:26:26 PM »
I wonder, how many of you still write mails? Anyone still smelling the letter? Trying to stay away the screen? Or do you just send an email and notify the receiver with your cell phone :)

Books might be still around but ebook are the future ;D ;D

What?!! You're still using email instead of just text messaging? ;D

Offline Lu Kudzoza

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2019, 04:30:57 PM »
I think everyone should be required to post their age with their preference.

I'm 58. I'll read either.
My wife (also 58) can't be troubled with a physical book.
Two of my kids (28 and 32) only use Ebooks.
My other kid (age 30) mostly reads physical books.

So far, no correlation of format preference to age. Oops. :)

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2019, 04:54:56 PM »
I’m triple Skip’s age.
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Skip

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2019, 05:00:38 PM »
@Eclipse, that would make you 204 years old. Clearly an elf. You can no longer hide it.

Offline Skip

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2019, 05:07:36 PM »
@ScarletBea has the right of it, as do others. Both. Here's an example.

For reading novels, it's almost always ebooks for me, for a somewhat odd reason. I read on my phone. The habit started while I was still working. I could steal a few minutes of reading time. A bookworm's version of a walk in the park.

But I'm also a historian and I have a couple hundred books (did a heartless harrowing a few years back) of scholarly works. I still consult them from time to time. Trust me, the quickest way to know what David Abulafia has to say about Emperor Otto's dealings with the Hohenstaufen is to scan. If all I wanted was the Battle of Bouvines, then sure, a search in an ebook probably does the job. But scanning an ebook is incredibly frustrating because it's so sloooow. Add to that my spatial memory--I can remember that a wanted passage was on the verso page about mid-way down--and the physical book still has it all over the ebook. Then add in something like Jansson's History of Art. Then add the wonderful fact of humans, who will perversely persist in doing as they please.

There's a place for physical books. At the same time, I find reading a novel in a physical book to be clumsy and annoying. And I gave up book sniffing years ago when I learned about archivist's lung. Just sort of lost the charm.

Both. Indisputably.
Visit Altearth

Offline Bender

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2019, 05:20:41 PM »
I still find bookstores charming. Just came out of Barnes and Noble store here and just browsing books on shelves is a fantastic way to kill time.
Not all those who wander are lost