April 24, 2019, 07:17:42 AM

Author Topic: Does reading Fantasy make you want to wield a bow / sword?  (Read 12274 times)

Offline Overlord

Does reading Fantasy make you want to wield a bow / sword?
« on: January 06, 2012, 03:32:47 PM »
Hmmm... so, it seems I've been feeling nostalgic lately and reading a lot of history on what life was like in the 1300's-1500's when Knights were around. I find myself feeling quite nostalgic. I like the idea of living in a world where men got by without computers and such... speaking with friends, this is quite a common feeling. I also like the idea (perhaps because I have done martial arts for so long) of taking part in some jousting tournaments and some duels and also for archery...

I do actually know a lot of fantasy fans do indeed get involved in sword sports and archery....

I was wondering if this is a feeling shared by most readers? The whole 'what if I was a Knight' type feelings? Perhaps that is why you read? Perhaps reading pushed you into giving sword sports / archery a try?
Founder: http://fantasy-faction.com
Editor: Fantasy-Faction Anthology (Aug 2014)
Author: "Son of…" in 1853 (2013)
Host: Fantasy-Faction's Grim Gathering

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Does reading Fantasy make you want to wield a bow / sword?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 03:48:39 PM »
Ahhh, the whole fantasy as nostalgia discussion.  Certainly interesting how some evil overlords (Saruman in particular) are often forces of industrialization - with their ripping up of trees and building of infernal machines of war, and the heroes often wish to defeat them before returning to their village, siring a few pups, working the land, and spending their evenings smoking a pipe, sipping a mead and swapping war stories.  (The fate of every hero in a Terry Brooks novel.)

But these days Martin and his brood have made fantasy so damn gritty, that you certainly don't envy their characters. 

Though I do fancy have a pint of mead in a alehouse where I can grope the homely wenches and invite them up to my room for a fistful of coppers. ;) 
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Sam Browning

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 04:46:34 PM »
Knowing my family history also encourages these dreams, given that my heritage goes back to Williams the Conqueror and Jarls of Scandinavian lands. I do actually collect medieval and viking weaponry also but as yet do not participate in anything other than collection. :P I have done some archery and found it highly enjoyable but where I live there is not much support for those activities :(

Offline infidelgkcn

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 05:21:06 PM »
My future house will be donned with swords and bows and maces and alike, together with books! And I will know how to yield them, oh hell I will!! :D

Offline ChristinaJL

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 06:03:37 PM »
Er, no!!!

Offline Nighteyes

• Ringbearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 06:13:29 PM »
what Christina wants is a cycling based fantasy series.

The Tour de MiddleEarth. 

Who would win? the elves are best at sprints, but the dwarves have stamina.  The humans have a good all round game, but those orcs are c**ts and just smack everyone else of their bikes. 
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Elspeth Cooper

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 06:31:14 PM »
For me, the fantasy came first; the interest in swordplay and archery came a good few years later. I was in my early teens, I think, when I realised naked blades were sexy. Not knives, though: I have no interest in them unless they're seriously good cook's knives - a whole 'nother lust. It has to be swords. Katana. Longswords. Broadswords, cavalry sabres, claymores, Irish gallowglass blades, falchions, mmmm. Gimme.
The Wild Hunt: Songs of the Earth  |  Trinity Rising  |  The Raven's Shadow  |  The Dragon House

Offline Dan D Jones

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 06:45:37 PM »
I think fantasy makes great ... fantasy.  I really have no desire to go back to the days when the best medical care was a cup of willow bark tea and a hand full of leeches; when you chopped wood with a hand axe or you froze/ate raw meat for dinner; when you took a crap behind the barn and wiped your arse with a handful of corn leaves.  I can go camping on a weekend and enjoy roughing it for a day or two.  But there's no way I want to live the rest of my life like that. 

And sure, it's fun to pick up a sword or a bow and arrow and pretend to be a knight or a forest rogue.  I strongly suspect that it's not nearly so much fun when a bigger, meaner, nastier chap has that sword and is doing his level best to stick three feet of it through your large intestines. 

Give me my computer and my cell phone.  Give me my policemen in fast patrol cars and ambulances that can get me to hospitals filled with millions of dollars of highly sophisticated medical equipment in a matter of moments if I happen to need it.  Give me my court systems who defend my right of free speech and free association; who ensure that all men are treated (reasonably) equal and that I don't have to stand by and smile while my wife or sister is raped by the local lord.  And give me my fantasy in nice neat books that I can escape into whenever I choose. 

Offline Nighteyes

• Ringbearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 06:55:15 PM »
I think fantasy makes great ... fantasy.  I really have no desire to go back to the days when the best medical care was a cup of willow bark tea and a hand full of leeches; when you chopped wood with a hand axe or you froze/ate raw meat for dinner; when you took a crap behind the barn and wiped your arse with a handful of corn leaves.  I can go camping on a weekend and enjoy roughing it for a day or two.  But there's no way I want to live the rest of my life like that. 

And sure, it's fun to pick up a sword or a bow and arrow and pretend to be a knight or a forest rogue.  I strongly suspect that it's not nearly so much fun when a bigger, meaner, nastier chap has that sword and is doing his level best to stick three feet of it through your large intestines. 

Give me my computer and my cell phone.  Give me my policemen in fast patrol cars and ambulances that can get me to hospitals filled with millions of dollars of highly sophisticated medical equipment in a matter of moments if I happen to need it.  Give me my court systems who defend my right of free speech and free association; who ensure that all men are treated (reasonably) equal and that I don't have to stand by and smile while my wife or sister is raped by the local lord.  And give me my fantasy in nice neat books that I can escape into whenever I choose. 

Amen!
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Fellshot

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2012, 12:20:42 AM »
It's strange to say, but I can't say that knowing how to use a bow or sword has persuaded me to long for Middle Ages. However, it has lead to many jokes starting with "in case of zombies..." and finding written fight scenes turn into snorefests with alarming regularity. :P

Offline Douglas Hulick

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2012, 02:09:19 AM »
Is this some sort of trick question?  ;)

Offline SteveThomas

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2012, 04:57:34 AM »
Back in college, there was this club.  We dressed in plate armor and beat on each other with wooden swords.  Good times.

Apparently, there was some LARP/reenactment component to the whole thing, but I wasn't convinced.

Offline AnneLyle

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2012, 12:54:53 PM »
I think fantasy makes great ... fantasy.  I really have no desire to go back to the days when the best medical care was a cup of willow bark tea and a hand full of leeches; when you chopped wood with a hand axe or you froze/ate raw meat for dinner; when you took a crap behind the barn and wiped your arse with a handful of corn leaves.  I can go camping on a weekend and enjoy roughing it for a day or two.  But there's no way I want to live the rest of my life like that.  

You wipe your arse on maize leaves? Aren't they rather scratchy? Here in the UK, I think dock leaves would be the medieval TP of choice. As long as you didn't mind a green bum!

And sure, it's fun to pick up a sword or a bow and arrow and pretend to be a knight or a forest rogue.  I strongly suspect that it's not nearly so much fun when a bigger, meaner, nastier chap has that sword and is doing his level best to stick three feet of it through your large intestines.  

Give me my computer and my cell phone.  Give me my policemen in fast patrol cars and ambulances that can get me to hospitals filled with millions of dollars of highly sophisticated medical equipment in a matter of moments if I happen to need it.  Give me my court systems who defend my right of free speech and free association; who ensure that all men are treated (reasonably) equal and that I don't have to stand by and smile while my wife or sister is raped by the local lord.  And give me my fantasy in nice neat books that I can escape into whenever I choose.  

As someone who would have died in childbirth without the aid of modern medicine, I certainly wouldn't want to live in medieval times. But I still think swords and bows are exceptionally cool. I envy my friends who live close to Renaissance sword schools!

And now I have this going round in my head:

Horrible Histories - I'm a Knight
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 12:58:46 PM by AnneLyle »
Elizabethan fantasy trilogy The Alchemist of SoulsThe Merchant of Dreams and The Prince of Lies out now from Angry Robot Books!

Offline ChristinaJL

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2012, 01:12:23 PM »
what Christina wants is a cycling based fantasy series.

The Tour de MiddleEarth. 

Who would win? the elves are best at sprints, but the dwarves have stamina.  The humans have a good all round game, but those orcs are c**ts and just smack everyone else of their bikes. 

Depends on how long it was and whether it was flat or uphill!!   :D

Offline Nighteyes

• Ringbearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2012, 01:30:14 PM »
I think fantasy makes great ... fantasy.  I really have no desire to go back to the days when the best medical care was a cup of willow bark tea and a hand full of leeches; when you chopped wood with a hand axe or you froze/ate raw meat for dinner; when you took a crap behind the barn and wiped your arse with a handful of corn leaves.  I can go camping on a weekend and enjoy roughing it for a day or two.  But there's no way I want to live the rest of my life like that.  

You wipe your arse on maize leaves? Aren't they rather scratchy? Here in the UK, I think dock leaves would be the medieval TP of choice. As long as you didn't mind a green bum!

And sure, it's fun to pick up a sword or a bow and arrow and pretend to be a knight or a forest rogue.  I strongly suspect that it's not nearly so much fun when a bigger, meaner, nastier chap has that sword and is doing his level best to stick three feet of it through your large intestines.  

Give me my computer and my cell phone.  Give me my policemen in fast patrol cars and ambulances that can get me to hospitals filled with millions of dollars of highly sophisticated medical equipment in a matter of moments if I happen to need it.  Give me my court systems who defend my right of free speech and free association; who ensure that all men are treated (reasonably) equal and that I don't have to stand by and smile while my wife or sister is raped by the local lord.  And give me my fantasy in nice neat books that I can escape into whenever I choose.  

As someone who would have died in childbirth without the aid of modern medicine, I certainly wouldn't want to live in medieval times. But I still think swords and bows are exceptionally cool. I envy my friends who live close to Renaissance sword schools!

And now I have this going round in my head:

Horrible Histories - I'm a Knight

Keep hearing good things about Horrible Histories - read a couple of the books as a kid, will have to watch it sometime.
The Real Powers That Be