October 20, 2020, 01:10:31 AM

Author Topic: Does anyone care for post apocalyptic stories?  (Read 498 times)

Offline DrNefario

Re: Does anyone care for post apocalyptic stories?
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2020, 01:50:22 PM »
I would say post-apocalyptic is one of my favoured subgenres/tropes/flavours, whatever you want to call it. I don't really know why. It's an easy way to my heart, though.

Offline Rostum

• Strange Turnip Person and He Who Waits
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2020, 04:25:41 PM »
Yes very much so particularly when they avoid the overblown tropes of the genre.

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2020, 10:15:49 PM »
One of my absolute favourite post apocalyptic story right now is the serialised manga Tengoku Daimakyou.

https://mangadex.org/title/23535/tengoku-daimakyou

It's very reminiscent of Akira in style and sometimes in spirit too, and 30 chapters in we still don't know what truly happened, it's riveting.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2020, 03:14:53 AM »
When you think about it the post apocalyptic sub genre is quite large. Terry Brooks Shannara series is set in a post apocalyptic world as is Jordan's Wheel of Time. There's also S. M. Stirling's The Change series, which looks at a world that suddenly finds itself without any forms of modern technology.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2020, 04:43:50 AM »
Nay, I don't think so, but I haven't read much post apocalyptic in terms of books. Mainly movies, but I only moderately liked those too. I don't really like the grim, dark, dreary landscape where everything seemed either extremely dirty or dangerous, thank you very much. (I'm more of an urban setting fan myself  :P)

Offline Wotan18

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2020, 07:57:58 PM »
Used to read a lot Deathlands come to mind the Survivors book by Terry Nation was excellent