October 20, 2020, 01:26:22 AM

Author Topic: Does anyone care for post apocalyptic stories?  (Read 499 times)

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
Does anyone care for post apocalyptic stories?
« on: September 24, 2020, 08:18:11 AM »
I don’t think any of us put this sort of stories  mostly about a bloke walking aimlessly in a wasteland in our top 10 favourite books of all time do we or do we?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 10:12:26 AM by eclipse »
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline hexa

Re: Does anyone care for post apocalyptic stories?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2020, 08:38:12 AM »
I like post apocalyptic movies.  Waterworld.  The Postman.  Gremlins

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2020, 01:28:32 PM »
Not sure if serious about Gremlins, but I’ll toss the Mad Max films in there. Would King’s The Stand be considered post apocalyptic? Steve Boyett’s Ariel is pretty good. Peter Clines Ex series about a world after a zombocalypse with added superheroes was also a fun read.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Lejays17

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2020, 01:46:01 PM »
The Half A trilogy by Joe Abercrombie are this, and I thoroughly enjoyed reading them.  They would be my favourite of all his books.
I think because it’s also Vikings  :D

"Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables you to be wrong with authority." The Doctor - Wheel in Space

"It's not destiny!  It's a crazy scientist with a giant snake!" Sinbad - For Whom the Egg Shatters

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2020, 01:48:49 PM »
I read a YA trilogy that fits here, Pure from Julianna Baggot, it was super interesting.
I only bought the book because the cover/set-up on the first book was so incredible, hehe.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Bender

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2020, 04:17:18 PM »

Waterworld? The Kevin Costner one. I recall being massively disappointed by that one.

Mad Max, Snowpiercer, 12 monkeys, Book of Eli, I am Legend...and not to say Wall-E!
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2020, 04:18:57 PM »
World War Z... The Road... A canticle for Lebowitz... The Passage... I am legend... Wool... On the beach... Bird Box... Girl with all the gifts... Gate to women's country... The Chrysalids... the day of the triffids... Parable of the sower... station eleven...

Not sure what you mean  ;D
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2020, 04:38:29 PM »
I did say books , not tv or film shows.

And none of you say there your favourite be honest you rather read something else apart from Nora, I know I would.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 04:44:28 PM by eclipse »
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline hexa

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2020, 06:02:04 PM »
Mad Max, Snowpiercer, 12 monkeys, Book of Eli, I am Legend...and not to say Wall-E!

I like 12 Monkeys and I am Legend.  Wall-E was decent for a single watch, but I wouldn't watch it a second time

Offline Bender

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2020, 06:03:28 PM »
Have read much post apocalyptic books, but one of my favorites was Gemmel's Jon Shannow trilogy. Absolutely amazing.

Jorg books by Lawrence technically fall in here too.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline Cherie

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2020, 06:20:39 PM »
I wouldn't say they're my favourite, because I don't have a favourite, but I do enjoy a good post apocalyptic setting. Even more so if it's far future, and there only hints to fact it used to be our world.

Offline hexa

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2020, 06:24:13 PM »
There is a Japanese anime named Ergo Proxy that is excellent

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2020, 09:24:03 PM »
I wouldn't say they're my favourite, because I don't have a favourite, but I do enjoy a good post apocalyptic setting. Even more so if it's far future, and there only hints to fact it used to be our world.

Yeah I mean, I'm the same. I have many favourites... I don't have a single, lone "favourite book". I might have a top 10... but it fluctuates. I've read and loved many post apocalyptic novels... I don't understand what it means that maybe none of the members here don't count one as their top, #1 story ever read.

You question is Does anyone care for post apocalyptic stories?

My answer is yes. I do, a lot. I love them. I read them. Just because none of them have blown me away on the scale of Library at Mount Char doesn't mean I didn't truly love them. I've even re-read some several times! Like World War Z.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2020, 12:50:43 AM »
I have a personal irritation with some aspects of post-apoc stories - that being ones that are set waaaay in the future (so society has basically rebuilt) but things are still organised the way they were in our present day. Especially if it's a scenario where the land was wiped free of people, and has been resettled from elsewhere, but you're telling me that the European lands just happen to have sorted themselves out into similar arrangements again. Hmm?

This can be ameliorated by an author giving some thought to that "just happens". I feel like Abercrombie's YA trilogy does well at feeling like a consideration of how this land, these same geographical considerations, are shaping the people in similar ways as they did the first time. (Or maybe it's just that I also read a book about the North Sea, and I suspect Abercrombie may have read the same book...)

I remain unclear to this day as to whether Hoffman's Left Hand of God was supposed to be set in a post-apoc world, or he was just too lazy to not use real-world names for his places. That lack of clarity remains utterly infuriating.

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2020, 05:43:54 AM »
I guess it’s like all types of stories, and if you read enough you will find something you really really like in a particular setting. I do have a post apocalyptic story I love and that’s Feed by Mira Grant.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 01:52:05 PM by Elfy »
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com