July 13, 2020, 07:41:10 PM

Poll

Maps do you look at them?

Yes all the time
20 (80%)
Nope I go straight to the story
5 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: Do you take any notice of maps in fantasy worlds?  (Read 2218 times)

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
Do you take any notice of maps in fantasy worlds?
« on: August 01, 2018, 11:07:02 AM »
Which authors do the best maps for their stories.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 11:59:41 AM by Eclipse »
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
Re: Do you take any notice of maps in fantasy worlds?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 12:42:37 PM »
I love looking at authors’ maps, and get frustrated at their lack. Yay, maps: Tolkien, Donaldson. Boo, no maps: Martin. Did WoT have maps? I don’t recall.

On the other hand, I’d really like to see a series where the maps start out limited and wrong and over time the errors become clear and maybe dangerous.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline NedMarcus

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 12:50:31 PM »
I glance at them, but often they're not done well, and I skip ahead. If they are done well, then I do take notice.

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 12:54:23 PM »
Only when someone mentioned a location. "They went to Austerlich, off the Black Mountains" *thought to self and flipped to map, 'Now where the hell is that again?'*

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2018, 12:58:46 PM »
I love maps!
They should be detailed, though, otherwise if it's only a continent there's no point - I'm looking at you, Anthony Ryan!

Malazan maps are great :D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2018, 01:21:15 PM »
I usually look at them. They aren't always worth looking at, and it's hard to refer back to them (and sometimes to see anything) in an ebook. And The Obelisk Gate, which I've just started in paperback, seems to have lost most of the important detail in the gutter where I can't see it without destroying the book. Still, it should certainly be possible to do without.

I kind of like maps in general, whether they are anything to do with fantasy or not.

Offline Skip

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2018, 05:28:32 PM »
If the story makes me care, then I do look at the map. Will pore over it, in fact. But if the story has not engaged me, the map isn't going to help.

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2018, 06:25:54 PM »
I love looking at authors’ maps, and get frustrated at their lack. Yay, maps: Tolkien, Donaldson. Boo, no maps: Martin. Did WoT have maps? I don’t recall.

On the other hand, I’d really like to see a series where the maps start out limited and wrong and over time the errors become clear and maybe dangerous.

Yes WoT had maps. They'd often do city maps mid-book when they arrived at a new location, it made things feel fresh and exciting

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2018, 11:57:21 PM »
My mother used to get out the atlas to check places when she was reading real-world fiction, so consulting maps in fantasy books just always felt right to me. I'll also check out maps when I'm considering a new book in a store; it can be a quick look at whether the worldbuilding is interesting or just Europe-lite.

Offline Hedin

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2018, 06:01:29 PM »
I never look at maps, if they wanted to save a few pieces of paper and time and omitted them I would not complain.

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2018, 10:39:38 PM »
I never understand the fuss with maps. I'm like Hedin, I glance at them and go into the story. If I need to orient myself I may look at them at some point during the reading, but if the book didn't have a map it wouldn't bother me. It may be because I have absolutely no sense of direction and can get lost on the head of a pin.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline NedMarcus

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2018, 11:14:51 PM »
When I read Raymond Feist's Riftwar Series, I used the maps a lot because they were sailing all over the world, and events were happening in different countries.

Offline Slaykomimi

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2018, 10:46:15 AM »
I take a look at them at the beginning but usually forget them very fast. It´s surely a great help for orientation or to imagine the places easier, but I think a good book should work even without the book.
But I would love to have high detailed maps of some books and games, it would definetly help out many times.

As for reading, I don´t really want to turn always to the page where the map is printed on to look at small maps to navigate, I would prefer if the Maps would be removeable, maybe a little thicker printed page that you can take out or even a poster to keep it out while reading for a quick lookup of locations.
Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind.

-Edward d. Morrison

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2018, 11:48:58 AM »
As for reading, I don´t really want to turn always to the page where the map is printed on to look at small maps to navigate, I would prefer if the Maps would be removeable, maybe a little thicker printed page that you can take out or even a poster to keep it out while reading for a quick lookup of locations.
This is a great idea :D however I don't think it's feasible, in terms of production and costs :-\
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Slaykomimi

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2018, 02:15:00 PM »
This is a great idea :D however I don't think it's feasible, in terms of production and costs :-\

That depends, some books come in more than one edition. At some cheap pocketbook version I can understand it but I am sure there are enough fans who are willing to pay a higher price for a high quality product with additions like that.

At least they could now print a short note at the beginning or the end of the book, with a link that provides downloads to high quality Maps and other artwork of the book, especially of graphical content print over 2 pages so it´s easier to view it.
Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind.

-Edward d. Morrison