August 15, 2020, 08:26:48 AM

Author Topic: Do you review?  (Read 15148 times)

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
Re: Do you review?
« Reply #75 on: October 03, 2015, 10:15:12 PM »
Just stumbled across this one-star review of Towers of Midnight (Wheel of Time #13), which reminded me of this thread since it's a perfect example of one-star reviews that would make me want to read the book.

In short, the three main criticisms that person makes are:
  • The pacing is faster than Jordan's later books.
  • The emotional range of the characters has expanded greatly.
  • The characters have finally stopped being stubborn and started to embrace the changes inside and around them.
The biggest problems with the Jordan books were the slow pace and the characters' refusal to change and/or feel anything other than anger, so that review would've made me much more enthusiastic about reading them if I had been wavering (as it is that wasn't a problem anyway). I actually find it hard to believe that rating isn't a parody.  :P
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline ClintACK

« Reply #76 on: October 04, 2015, 01:04:55 AM »
Just stumbled across this one-star review of Towers of Midnight (Wheel of Time #13), which reminded me of this thread since it's a perfect example of one-star reviews that would make me want to read the book.

In short, the three main criticisms that person makes are:
  • The pacing is faster than Jordan's later books.
  • The emotional range of the characters has expanded greatly.
  • The characters have finally stopped being stubborn and started to embrace the changes inside and around them.
The biggest problems with the Jordan books were the slow pace and the characters' refusal to change and/or feel anything other than anger, so that review would've made me much more enthusiastic about reading them if I had been wavering (as it is that wasn't a problem anyway). I actually find it hard to believe that rating isn't a parody.  :P

Wow, yes.

I have never before seen someone mention the hundred pages of taking a bath and mean it as a good thing.  That's... wow.

Plus side: No matter how bad your novel is -- there's someone out there who would LOVE it.  Even with three pages of an Aes Sedai almost raising an eyebrow, apparently.

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #77 on: January 11, 2020, 06:37:49 AM »
Do you leave a review for every book you read? Why or why not? You only review/rate the ones you like?

Where do you leave reviews? Are you a dedicated Goodreads + Site you bought it from (Amazon, B&N, Smashwords etc)? Do you only leave one review?

Are you more likely to leave a rating than a review?

How much notice do you pay to the reviews?

My little blog post on the topic, but I am interested in your thoughts!

I rate every book I leave one stars and five stars

I use goodreads and Libraything but it just to help me remind me which authors and books I’ve read.

I very rarely review , if you got a review from me feel blessed haha

I pay more attention to reviews if I know the reviewer comes from here. Even if there got completely different taste in books to me.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 06:40:03 AM by Eclipse »
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #78 on: January 11, 2020, 10:07:13 AM »
Definitely. I always leave stars, and even half stars to depict how I truly feel towards a certain book. I also tried to leave reviews, some detailing my disappointment with the book, some with my praises for how amazing the whole journey was, and some a plain reflection on what the book had done well and what irked me. I thought authors deserved reviews (well, and I do want to express my reading opinion sometimes myself), so there it goes.

Offline Matthew

« Reply #79 on: January 12, 2020, 07:22:38 PM »
I don't much like Goodreads 5 star system but I recently went through my old reads and rated them to the best of my recollection. Some I do rate as and when I finish them but don't usually bother.

As for full reviews I have left some, but I have one main rule... Don't review if all I have to say has been said a hundred times before.

If I disagree with the consensus (in a major way), or I really liked the book and it is struggling for exposure (low number of ratings etc), then and only then will I review it.

For example I roasted one book just before Christmas because it was all 4-5 stars and I was like HOW???, and I praised a book after New Year because the poor thing had no ratings at all (I do love the series as well).

Offline Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Auror
  • Bookworm first, human second.
« Reply #80 on: January 14, 2020, 07:42:42 PM »
I very rarely review books on Amazon. I'd much rather talk about them here or with friends.

My blog review policy is to review a book only if a) I enjoyed it or b) I can add to the conversation by reviewing it. The one thing i can't stand is opinion pieces disguised as negative reviews.
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Offline Bender

« Reply #81 on: January 14, 2020, 09:42:50 PM »
Have started only recently but I review all my books.

Since reading reviews are a big part of how I choose next book to read, this is just giving back.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6