September 17, 2019, 05:59:03 PM

Poll

Your preference?

No problem starting unfinished series. If something awesome is available right now, why wait 2 or more years until it's complete? If I really liked it, I don't mind re-reading if necessary. Otherwise, it's simply a book out of the way.
6 (17.6%)
I prefer to wait until it is finished. I like to read a series in one go, so I stay fully immersed with the characters, plot and world. I don't like to wait for sequels and long waits are even worse. I feel I lose connection with the story.
8 (23.5%)
Both. I regularly read complete series, unfinished ones and newly released books. I read what grabs my attention at the moment. Sometimes I think if I read it now or wait. Depends on authors.
20 (58.8%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Author Topic: Do you read unfinished series or prefer to wait?  (Read 4879 times)

Offline Mr.J

• Anus Dracula formerly known as Arse Demon and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • Tweedy impertinence
    • View Profile
Re: Do you read unfinished series or prefer to wait?
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2016, 12:12:04 PM »
Depends how patient you are, if you have to read the next one immediately and demand it then might be best to wait until it's done.

And while the GRRM thing is mildly annoying I get way more excited for Scott Lynch's Gentleman Bastard series, due to his struggling health and personal issues it took quite a while for the third book to come out from the second, years and years even. While it was disappointing I can't deny it makes it even more fun with the anticipation, does no one else find it fun to have the build up and wait for the next book?

As when Republic of Thieves came out (on my birthday as well) I couldn't wait to dive in and I enjoyed it all the more so I believe.

It's why i still quite like watching TV shows week to week as well, The Flash, Doctor Who, Orphan Black - all part of the fun of the story really, waiting for the next one (I binge plenty too though).

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2016, 12:15:01 PM »
Voted. In the majority.
Whatevers.

Though I do find myself looking for completed series a wee bit these days. Just not enough to sway.

On the other hand - and I'm sure this point has been raised in the thread above (which I haven't read - maybe because it's not complete?  :D ) - my patience for the dragging out of series is almost at an end. Rothfuss, Martin, and even Lynch - I'm talking about you.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2016, 12:57:13 PM »
Never ever cared about a series being in progress while picking a book up. And I've been waiting for TWO of the GRRM books since discovering him as a teen. Still doesn't dampen my habit. If it's good I'll read it. If it ends on a cliff hanger, I'll probably be a bit ruffled, maybe won't pick any new book for a couple of days, let that last one settle.
Then I pick a new thing and it's either great or I move on to a new one.

I mean, how many complete series have I stopped reading because I got bored, or simply not pleased enough with it that it can't wait to be completed another time (if ever)? A lot. So I really don't see the point of limiting myself at all.

If a series is dense, awesome, and has parts published many years appart, I'll just re-read books before the publishing time. That's fine by me.
Besides, pre ordering a book, or going insane for the day your library will open with it all fresh out of its delivery box is something you just don't get unless it's part of a series. Of course you can be excited by a new book by a fav author, but when you know that new book will answer crucial questions or bring back favorite characters, it's just more intense.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2016, 04:16:34 PM »
And while the GRRM thing is mildly annoying I get way more excited for Scott Lynch's Gentleman Bastard series, due to his struggling health and personal issues it took quite a while for the third book to come out from the second, years and years even. While it was disappointing I can't deny it makes it even more fun with the anticipation, does no one else find it fun to have the build up and wait for the next book?
I don't think the Gentlemen Bastards books are quite the same, since they are more-or-less complete tales in each book. I think that makes it easier to wait.

And in Pat Rothfuss's case, he should have split Wise Man's Fear into five 200-page books, and released one a year, to buy himself some time. ;)

Offline CaitSpivey

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2016, 07:00:47 PM »
For me, there's a point where the waiting becomes too much. As a kid with the Harry Potter books, I was frantic with every new one, but as an adult I lose some of that excitement. I started ASOIAF right before the fifth book came out, so I got to preorder it and get those tingles. But knowing that it'll be at least another year, probably more, makes me pretty "meh" about book six. Of course, that might have been because of book five, which was really down and more depressing than usual--if I remember from what, three, four years ago?

This happens to me with shows, too. I'm a huge Doctor Who fan, and yet I haven't watched any of the new season because it was such a long wait that I couldn't sustain the excitement.

With all these things, I do plan to read/watch them. It's just sort of like, if the creators can take their time creating, then I will enjoy them at my leisure too.
"Realism, in so far as it means reality to life, is always bad art." -Sherwood Anderson

Author | caitspivey.com
Editor of SFF at bearandblackdog.com

Offline Nox

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2016, 07:23:55 PM »
For me, there's a point where the waiting becomes too much. As a kid with the Harry Potter books, I was frantic with every new one, but as an adult I lose some of that excitement.

Ah, I did that too. I remember endless discussions on CoS and even "hacking" Jo's site only to find dummy text but not knowing it was dummy text. We thought we struck gold as we hastily tried to translate the Latin text. Heh.

But yeah, I remember basically growing up with those books. It saddens me that I haven't really been dedicated to anything as much as I was to HP when I was a young fellow and probably never will again.

Which is actually one of the bigger reasons why I only read finished stuff. I don't trust myself to actually remember anything past a certain point in time so if I read something unfinished then continue it when the next part comes out, I will be completely and utterly lost. It matters little if I liked it or not, there are now more important things that occupy my memory.

Offline Pwibble

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2016, 09:15:13 PM »
I don't know how old/experienced all the commenters are on this thread, but I am now in my mid to late thirties and I have actually really enjoyed the fact that I have had to wait for books from some authors recently. I think I went through a phase where I was reading completed series (or even re-reading) and watching dvd box sets and there was instant gratification but I think I was missing the excitement and anticipation of a new book from my favourite authors and buying it when it first comes out.
Back when I was in my teens/twenties I remember waiting for new books by David Gemmell, Terry Prachett even dare I say it Piers Anthony and David Eddings. There was a real excitement to knowing that a book was coming and a huge rush on then being able to buy it (or borrow it from the library) and sitting down to read it.
I think some of the examples being talked about (GRRM and Pat Rothfuss) are extreme examples of hugely popular, complex series which have, for whatever reasons, been slow in coming. I only discovered ASOIAF maybe 3-4 years ago so I haven't been sat there waiting for each book to come out, and I did enjoy when A Dance With Dragons came out. I can handle waiting for the next books in these epic series but might lose interest I suppose in lesser series.
I also enjoy when you "discover" something new and can watch it developing. For me that has been things like Duncan M Hamilton and Sebastien De Castell's recent books. There is a pleasure in being involved from the start!
One last point, since I am waffling on, is that it is nice to know that you will get more books from your favourite authors. So, knowing that I will probably see more books from GRRM, Pat Rothfuss, Scott Lynch is a great pleasure. I still remember having to come to terms with there never being any more David Gemmell books... Still wish I could have  a few more though!

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2016, 09:47:44 PM »
Apologies for making some small changes on the options. But I think now they all seem independent. I thought 3 was previously fully including 1. Let me know if it feels right now.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline YordanZh

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2016, 10:15:29 AM »
I try to wait usually, but sometimes a book just sounds to interesting to ignore for long. The irony is that sometimes I wait for years but the author is so slow that I at some point give up and read his/her first books, even though those are precisely the cases in which you should wait - when the author is writing too slow.

Offline magisensei

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2016, 10:29:31 PM »
I read the series as they come out.  Most series are pretty good with annual releases in their series - its really only series like Game of Thrones and a few others that don't have regular publication date for some reason or other - and for those I will get them as they come out - but sometimes I will drop the series instead of completing it.  At times it is not worth waiting or re-reading a series just to read the latest installment that is years and years late. 

Of course sometimes I collect and wait a while until I start to read them so that I can read a whole bunch at once - just finished reading Michelle Sagara's Chronicles of Elantra - all 11 books so far in the series.   

Offline Lanko

• Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2016, 10:39:19 PM »
I've just read Beyond Redemption, by Michael R. Fletcher.

There wasn't anything signaling it was going to be a trilogy and I thought it was a standalone. Shit. While I'm very happy this book will continue, now I'm also gonna have to wait years to see what happens next.

However, it was so damn good that I think I would have regretted not having read it. It would be possible that 2, 3 or more years down the road I would've not even remembered the book. Damn, that would be depressing.

While I'm so far on the option 2 group, I think I'm leaning more towards 3 now.

Maybe just be a bit careful to not pile up a crapload of unfinished series. BR isn't exactly an easy read, there's plenty of names, "ranks", "powers", very subtle details and such. Imagining having another dozen of those around and waiting for another dozen sequels over many years, while still picking up more new/unfinished series along the way.

But after BR I'm more inclined to start new series. I think the only one I'm really gonna wait to be finished is Kingkiller (if it really finishes at 3, if not, I may as well start it) as there is a chance it will be released this year or the next.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 10:41:57 PM by Lanko »

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2016, 11:13:49 PM »

However, it was so damn good that I think I would have regretted not having read it. It would be possible that 2, 3 or more years down the road I would've not even remembered the book. Damn, that would be depressing.

Why would it be? It's great if you don't remember it enough that you'd need to re-read it. It means you get to re-discover and re-enjoy it all!
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Lanko

• Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2016, 11:22:09 PM »

Why would it be? It's great if you don't remember it enough that you'd need to re-read it. It means you get to re-discover and re-enjoy it all!

No, I meant if I had decided not to read it now and wait until it was complete, and during those years ended up forgetting the book, thus missing a really good one.

Offline Michael R. Fletcher

« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2016, 12:53:13 AM »

Glad you liked it!

The next two books are already written. The Mirror's Truth is a sequel and takes place immediately after Beyond Redemption. The other, The All Consuming, takes place elsewhere in the same world. Just waiting on word from the publisher.

Let's hope my delusions manifest.
I Keep My Doppels Chained in the Basement

Offline CaitSpivey

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2016, 10:36:41 PM »
Maybe just be a bit careful to not pile up a crapload of unfinished series.

That's a good way to look at it. I'm usually not bothered by waiting for sequels because I keep reading stand-alones and other series in between. It ends up pretty well-paced.
"Realism, in so far as it means reality to life, is always bad art." -Sherwood Anderson

Author | caitspivey.com
Editor of SFF at bearandblackdog.com