April 11, 2021, 10:36:30 PM

Author Topic: Do you prefer  (Read 1391 times)

Offline Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Kingkiller
  • Bookworm first, human second.
Re: Do you prefer
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2020, 05:56:10 PM »
I like it when there is a lot of magic, but it's very subtle. So not wizards throwing fireballs, but the forests of filled with spirits, and maybe the voices of the dead can still be heard.

I also like magic that is so abundant the world looks nothing like our own, where there are trains powered by ghosts and wizards rule as kings and queens.

So long as there isn't overwhelming magic everywhere, yet the world looks remarkably like our own, I'm good. Thinking about it, this may be why I don't like much Urban Fantasy.
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Offline Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2020, 10:25:13 PM »
Voted Magic Mike and here's my reasoning:
I've liked books across the entire magical spectrum. For me it's not something that makes or breaks a story. They all have merit and should be approached in different ways.

However, if someone of the writing contest writes me a Magic Mike story I will most likely vote for them. Especially with this month's subject allowing extra steamy scenes.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2020, 08:08:00 AM »
However, if someone of the writing contest writes me a Magic Mike story I will most likely vote for them. Especially with this month's subject allowing extra steamy scenes.
Why don't you write one? ;)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2020, 11:22:24 AM »
Why don't you write one? ;)

I already wrote a story about other steam stuff and I can't enter two stories  :P

Online Peat

• Master Namer
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2020, 01:10:48 PM »
I voted I enjoy both but my heart belongs first and foremost to stories where magic takes a back seat - stories where there is less magic, stories where there is much magic but it's subtle and natural feeling, and so on. That's because

a) That matches the mythic feeling I love most about the genre more
b) The more magic there is, the more time is spent explaining it in scenes that I probably don't care as much about

I'd also add that while I'm very impressed by worlds that are changed greatly by the addition of magic in ingenious and logical ways, I'm moving slowly towards preferring an approach of "Who cares it's not real".
This is the blog of Peat - https://peatlong.wordpress.com/

Offline Lu Kudzoza

• Godling
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2020, 04:32:03 PM »
I like both. It doesn't matter what tools the characters use (magic, weapons, logic, emotion, etc.). What matters most to me is how they get out of challenging situations. I really like books where the character's approach to a problem is unique.

I think that’s my problem with some  of the magic systems it’s like a get out of jail card for characters and then the challenging  situations and the tension which had built up disappears in a page. Looks at the last book in the Iron Druid series.

Exactly, it destroys the all the anticipation about how they're going to solve the problem.

What's even worse is when you can see the obvious solution to their problem is a magical talent they possess, but they don't use it.  ;D

Offline Mordred

• Seeker
    • My Place (?)
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2020, 07:44:38 PM »
I greatly enjoy High Magic, mostly if the magic system is soft. I like magic to be pervasive and although I like fireballs and thunders from the tip of the fingers, I prefere it when it is mysterious and inexplicable.
Unless it is a just a tool used as a device, in that case the "magic" ends. But when it is not fully explained and it is seen as an erratic force of nature - I find a good example ti be the Broken Earth Trilogy so far.