March 30, 2020, 08:42:16 PM

Author Topic: Do main characters have to be likeable straightaway in this day and age.  (Read 1853 times)

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

Re: Do main characters have to be likeable straightaway in this day and age.
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2020, 10:17:15 AM »
Saw a post in Facebook today about Jorg.

I won’t touch the broken empire series because I’ve heard Jorg is not a nice guy

Is this the end of grimdark 😀
To this I say "good riddance", leave him to those who appreciate him.

There are many series "I won't touch", for different reasons.

There will always be different genres.

(sorry, not in a good mood after reading that and the 'escapism' thread, but I'll still keep this post)

I'm usually the opposite. I usually like morally ambiguous characters like Jorg, or in films and television Heisenberg, Thomas Shelby, Michael Corleone, and some other drug dealers and mafias protagonists as well. The way they exercised their power are absolutely intoxicating, I think.

Offline Bender

Re: Do main characters have to be likeable straightaway in this day and age.
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2020, 04:40:46 PM »
History is littered with events that'd even make a grimdark reader cringe. Torture, rape and cruelty are not novel concepts. I had lot of misgivings before beginning Jorg. I still hate the first book series because they killed a dog in there and I have a huge NO NO to animal cruelty. I would never read or watch anything that has animals in pain. Put me off Greatcoats series too. 
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6