November 24, 2020, 08:44:29 PM

Author Topic: Disney not honouring contracts say fantasy and science fiction writers of Ameri  (Read 200 times)

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Magnus Hedén

• High Lord of commas and Grand Master of semicolons
  • Ambient Mage
  • My name is Magnus. I make stuff up.
And that's why I don't give them my money. This is not the first time they do this. They owe back pay to a lot of creators.

Offline cupiscent

I saw something about this in passing yesterday, and it is flabberghastingly outrageous. They have purchased the rights of the contract but not the liabilities?? What the actual everloving heck?

In conjunction with Joan He's recent dispute with her publisher (details here, summary being: they didn't pay her, ignored her when she declared the contract therefore broken and claimed her rights back, and published another version of the book, ignoring a cease & desist order) I am shouting, "What is WRONG with people?!" even more than usual these days.

But a significant difference between those cases is that He's publisher is relatively small compared to the leviathan that is Disney. In the instance of huge legal battles, Disney has far more resources than just about anyone. If every member of the SFWA declares they will no longer work with Disney, that won't even matter, because there will always be newcomers keen and eager to take on the work.

But in both cases, it's interesting that the power of social media as a tool for spreading the word has been harnessed. I'm going to be very interested to see what happens next with Alan Dean Foster and Disney.

Offline Magnus Hedén

• High Lord of commas and Grand Master of semicolons
  • Ambient Mage
  • My name is Magnus. I make stuff up.
As evidenced by this tweet by Neil Gaiman, it's not even particularly uncommon for this to happen.

It's just another thing that makes you hate big companies.

Offline kadedraven

I heard about this and frankly don't see anything surprising. Seeing Disney's reputation for taking monopoly over everything in their influential power, it's not really a new stone in the pond. Poor Foster. He deserves the royalties a hell of a lot more than Disney does.
Let's explore dark fantasy together, The Common Tongue Magazine

Offline Ned Marcus

I'd not heard about this, so thanks for the links everybody. It's not surprising, but that doesn't make it any better.

Just curious. Are any writers here a member of a writers' organisation? Or have plans to join in the future?