September 20, 2019, 12:33:21 AM

Author Topic: Delayed Reading: joys and disappointments  (Read 4226 times)

Offline magisensei

Delayed Reading: joys and disappointments
« on: March 19, 2015, 03:48:54 PM »
Have you ever bought a book/series and just delayed reading it for weeks, months or even years? I imagine everyone has a to read pile of novels but this topic is not how big that pile is but about delaying reading of series/novel for some reason - for example it being too large. 

Well I bought Brandon Sanderson's Way of the Kings way back when it came out and for the past several years it sat on my shelf being a heavy paper weight.  Last week I finally took the jump to read it as I picked up the second book in the series as well Words of Radiance. 

The 1000 page length of the both books really had me wondering if I wanted to commit so much time to reading such a huge epic series but since I had a bit of time, I plunged into the series. 

The first book really felt like the intro to a huge series.  A lot of world building, characters, classes, powers, monsters etc - it really felt like a world building project.  The writing and story at times felt disjointed as Sanderson was world building this epic world - the characterization at times felt a bit weak and the plot wasn't as smooth as I was expecting coming from Sanderson.  But I stuck with it and continued to read his epic fantasy.  I was rather hooked but not as much as I was with his Mistborn or Elantris books but nevertheless it was an enjoyable read that got better when I went from book 1 to book 2. 

As I went from book 1 to book 2 - Words of Radiance the action and characterization got much better but there was some plot issues for me and some characterization issues that for me didn't flow well but overall the story continued to pull me into his world and I continued to read non-stop until I reached the end. 

One issue for me about book 2 is that it reads like a second in a trilogy - tons of action - lots of secrets revealed -and some new problems that will be nicely wrapped up in the third (or fourth book) rather than a second book in a longer epic (ie game of thrones or Wot). 

Overall an enjoyable read - I can't wait for the next in the series - well I have to wait four years?

While overall I enjoyed the series so far, I was also somewhat disappointed as it was not as fluid as I was expecting from Sanderson's writing. 

So what book have you delayed reading and was it worth the wait or were you disappointed?

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
Re: Delayed Reading: joys and disappointments
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 05:42:03 PM »
Oooh my self-control isn't that good!
I only buy books I know I'm going to read right away, tops they wait a month or so if I buy/get from the library 3 or 4 at the same time.
My TBR list is virtual, more a wish list than a physical presence to be read there and then.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Hedin

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 05:46:53 PM »
I'm the same way, if I buy a book it's because I want to read it right away (or shortly thereafter).  If its something that I feel like I wouldn't read right away I figure I'm probably not that enthused about it and probably shouldn't buy it anyways.

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 06:44:03 PM »
If I counted all the books I own physically and electronically which I have not read, it would be embarrassing.  ;D

But here's a delayed reading: My wife gave me Jonathon Strange & Mr. Norrell for Christmas, since it was on my list. She then commented for a few years that she'd spent that money, but had never seen me with book in hand. One day, I saw the recorded version at the library and started to listen to it in the car; I was immediately hooked. (I've commented before that I find recorded books excellent for dense, slow-moving things.) I ended up reading the physical copy half-way through because I couldn't get enough of the way just in the car.

Verdict? Wonderful book. Glad I didn't keep delaying!
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 07:27:26 PM »
I have one memorable one that is pretty embarrasing really.

I was always given loads of books by my family for birthdays and christmas, because I was always reading. There's one particular book, given a book on my birthday by an aunt when I was 9 or 10, which I took one look at and dismissed as crap because the cover was so horrendous. I distinctly remember thinking my aunt was clearly an idiot for thinking I'd be interested in reading it, because I disliked the cover that much. It then sat on my shelf for a long time - at the very least half a year, but I'm pretty sure it was a couple of years. I usually read any new book I was given within a couple of weeks, this was literally the only book I had never bothered to open.

One holiday I was bored as hell. I tried re-reading some of my books but couldn't get interested, and couldn't really be bothered doing anything more active than reading. I sighed and picked up the book I had pointedly ignored for all that time, and started reading.

This was the cover:
Spoiler for Hiden:

Naturally, I was then really pissed off with myself for a long time for judging the book by its cover...  :-[
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 07:29:09 PM by Raptori »
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 08:19:41 PM »

I was always given loads of books by my family for birthdays and christmas, because I was always reading. There's one particular book, given a book on my birthday by an aunt when I was 9 or 10, which I took one look at and dismissed as crap because the cover was so horrendous. I distinctly remember thinking my aunt was clearly an idiot for thinking I'd be interested in reading it, because I disliked the cover that much. It then sat on my shelf for a long time - at the very least half a year, but I'm pretty sure it was a couple of years. I usually read any new book I was given within a couple of weeks, this was literally the only book I had never bothered to open.

One holiday I was bored as hell. I tried re-reading some of my books but couldn't get interested, and couldn't really be bothered doing anything more active than reading. I sighed and picked up the book I had pointedly ignored for all that time, and started reading.

This was the cover:
Spoiler for Hiden:

Naturally, I was then really pissed off with myself for a long time for judging the book by its cover...  :-[
So LOL!
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2015, 11:25:20 PM »
If I counted all the books I own physically and electronically which I have not read, it would be embarrassing.  ;D

But here's a delayed reading: My wife gave me Jonathon Strange & Mr. Norrell for Christmas, since it was on my list. She then commented for a few years that she'd spent that money, but had never seen me with book in hand. One day, I saw the recorded version at the library and started to listen to it in the car; I was immediately hooked. (I've commented before that I find recorded books excellent for dense, slow-moving things.) I ended up reading the physical copy half-way through because I couldn't get enough of the way just in the car.

Verdict? Wonderful book. Glad I didn't keep delaying!
I'm sure this has happened to me, but I can't come up with an example. JS&MN is a rather polarising work. The first time I read it (and I didn't put it off) I couldn't see what the fuss was about, the second time it was like the suck fairy in reverse and I gained a greater appreciation of the work and could see some of why people raved so much about it.
One book that may fit the topic is The Vampire Lestat by Anne Rice. I read Interview With a Vampire and went onto the sequel, I got about halfway through it, and then a particular scene made me put it aside for a fair while and I had to reset my brain before venturing back into it's pages and I wound up enjoying the rest of it.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline ladybritches

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2015, 12:20:24 AM »
I've had Terry Brooks' Voyage of the Jerle Shannara, Isle Witch on my shelf for around 9 years. Haven't even read the first page. Had no idea who Terry Brooks was or how many books he'd written when I bought the book, and after I found out I just felt overwhelmed with the idea that I might get sucked into reading them all. I'd almost like to get rid of the book, actually, because having it on my shelf and knowing I'll never read it makes me feel like a failure.  ;D

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2015, 02:46:22 AM »

This was the cover:
Spoiler for Hiden:

So LOL!
I also remember thinking "Smarties Gold Award? So lame."  :o
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2015, 08:11:45 AM »
Yeah, well... I bought words of radiance the day it came out and still haven't read it... There are a lot of other books in my physical TBR too. The one I'm avoiding because it is so big is Perdito Street Station.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2015, 09:14:26 AM »
Yeah, well... I bought words of radiance the day it came out and still haven't read it... There are a lot of other books in my physical TBR too. The one I'm avoiding because it is so big is Perdito Street Station.

Xiagan, Perdido Street Station is very long and it's not one I could read easily in bits because there are so many very unusual characters and the whole concept is so complex.  I had to really concentrate to keep track of both the main plot and all the different threads. Kind of book to read when you can take time, like a holiday read.
Having said that for me it was absolutely brilliant, Mieville's imagination blew me away and it was my favourite book of 2014. So truly recommend you give it a try when you do have the time . ;D
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline Shimrod

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2015, 10:24:07 AM »
Years ago I bought the first 2 books of Katherine Kerr's Deverry Cycle. Started reading Daggerspell and stopped reading after a couple of chapters.

I don't think I will ever start reading it again...

Offline Elvraie

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2015, 12:08:43 PM »
Hello,
Talking about the Deverry cycle. I remember fondly buying a copy of the first book at an English Bookshop in my then home city of Bordeaux. My English was not as good as now (after immigrating to England and 20 odd years) and if I found hard sometimes to understand, I liked it but never finished. I started reading it two years ago, but found it dreadful. I just keep it for nostalgy sake with no intention to read it. I have books which waited for years to be read and were not a disappointment, like Heartbeast by Tanith Lee. A horror story which was quite good. I bought it 10 or 15years ago. As for other let downs, Crystal Singer by McCaffrey and SpiritWalk by De Lint. Couldn't carry my attention till the end, the prose and the characters would make me yawn. I can also count a few French SF, too. As I mature, I tend to choose books that I want to read and won't be a disappointment, even after a few years.
We sometimes reward writers for their work. Why we never punish them?
Jules Romain

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2015, 11:14:36 PM »

Xiagan, Perdido Street Station is very long and it's not one I could read easily in bits because there are so many very unusual characters and the whole concept is so complex.  I had to really concentrate to keep track of both the main plot and all the different threads. Kind of book to read when you can take time, like a holiday read.
Having said that for me it was absolutely brilliant, Mieville's imagination blew me away and it was my favourite book of 2014. So truly recommend you give it a try when you do have the time . ;D
I had a very similar experience and reaction to Perdido Street Station. Stunning writing and imagination.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2015, 11:20:16 PM »
I KNOW Perdito Street Station will be awesome. I mostly enjoy Miéville and a lot of people with good taste in books love it. So yeah. One day... ;)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)