January 27, 2020, 05:38:41 AM

Author Topic: Creating rules behind recommendations?  (Read 870 times)

Offline Bender

Creating rules behind recommendations?
« on: December 06, 2019, 03:05:00 AM »
I find it that people who ask for recommendations usually get the popular novels list as answers.

"Can you recommend something like Wheel of Time"
"Try First Law or Broken Empire"

I mean, neither First Law or Broken Empire have anything in common to WoT except genre and even that is debatable.

So I was wondering if we can rate books by certain common characteristics to find similar books? Like we do with wine (color, region, bitterness, acidity, body etc). Obviously it needs to be few main characteristics only to get some semblance of ease of use.

what could be some common rating characteristics for fantasy books?

Rating scale -10 to +10 with scales moving at incremental of 2

1. Magic content: -10 would be low fantasy and +10 would be high fantasy.
2. Mature content: -10 would be YA and +10 would be grim-dark
3. World: -10 would be earth based urban fantasy, 0 would be steampunk and +10 would be full on fantasy world. For example a medieval setting in a fantasy planet would be -7.
4. Technology: -10 would be sword and sorcery, 0 would be steampunk and +10 would be near sci-fi

Can this work?
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

Re: Creating rules behind recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2019, 03:27:41 AM »
I find it that people who ask for recommendations usually get the popular novels list as answers.

"Can you recommend something like Wheel of Time"
"Try First Law or Broken Empire"

I mean, neither First Law or Broken Empire have anything in common to WoT except genre and even that is debatable.

So I was wondering if we can rate books by certain common characteristics to find similar books? Like we do with wine (color, region, bitterness, acidity, body etc). Obviously it needs to be few main characteristics only to get some semblance of ease of use.

what could be some common rating characteristics for fantasy books?

Rating scale -10 to +10 with scales moving at incremental of 2

1. Magic content: -10 would be low fantasy and +10 would be high fantasy.
2. Mature content: -10 would be YA and +10 would be grim-dark
3. World: -10 would be earth based urban fantasy, 0 would be steampunk and +10 would be full on fantasy world. For example a medieval setting in a fantasy planet would be -7.
4. Technology: -10 would be sword and sorcery, 0 would be steampunk and +10 would be near sci-fi

Can this work?

I'm not sure about the others, but that sounds so complex to me, hahah.

Offline hexa

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2019, 05:23:36 AM »
We use tags (keywords)

Wheel of Time: epic-fantasy, coming-of-age, male-protagonist, young-adult, orcs, undead, more-than-3-books, medieval

Harry Potter: coming-of-age, school/academy, male-protagonist, fantasy-creatures, modern-world, British, nemesis, dragons, more-than-3-books

Chronicles of the Lance (Dragonlance): epic-fantasy, mature-content-sex, dragons, undead, trilogy,, medieval, elves, dwarves, gnomes, gods-interact-directly, romance

Offline hexa

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2019, 05:26:47 AM »
I would say that Shannara is like Wheel of Time

Offline isos81

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2019, 06:18:51 AM »
I believe artificial intelligence based recommendations use the tags and the common preferences of the readers.
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2019, 06:33:26 AM »
Where do you go for recommendations? I never recommend the Broken Empire.  Have You been hanging out at Facebook again ? 😀

I think the forum gives out a lot of various recommendations popular and non popular. We have readers here who like different things so we got a bigger base to pick from. Look at Fantasy Faction 2019 best books compared to the Facebook crowd very different. Probably because we are older and wiser.

We haven’t had a recommendation topic  here for a while

Face it this forum is more knowledgeable when it comes to books and posters  are more gorgeous too, just look at @JMack a hunk of a man.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 06:57:42 AM by Eclipse »
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2019, 07:12:10 AM »
Tags are useful for "I really liked elements x, y and z, I'd like to find something else that has those" but it still doesn't necessarily help with finding a work that is well done, or has a similar approach to those elements, or... yeah, a whole lot of stuff that needs more complex consideration.

Whether using tags or various scales or whatever, I think the key to getting good recommendations is being thoughtful about what you liked about this thing (or things in general) and looking for equal thoughtfulness in the recommendations you get. (i.e. someone who says, "I loved the hopeful nature of Sam Hawke's City of Lies" would obviously look askance at someone reccing something grimdark because "I loved this too".)

Offline Peat

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2019, 08:15:53 AM »
I was playing around the other day with the idea of assigning genre by where books fell on 4 spectrums of level of fantasy, scale, type of conflict, and level of morality. So I guess they could be additional measuring sticks. (Incidentally, The First Law wouldn't fall that far away from WoT except on level of morality).

But really once you've got 7 measurement metrics, all of which are subjective both in terms of how the person scoring rates them and how the person picking up books thinks of them, you've reached the point at which you're expecting to get it wrong. My dayjob is managing people doing a boring data version of this and this level of subjective metric use is when we expect snafus.

And that's without the tag system - which I think is important - or something measuring prose type, POV type, tense (recommend me something with present tense and I will hate you for the next month) etc.etc. Of course, the etc.etc. is hard, because you'll never quite know what people really value.

As such, a set of measurements would be hard to pull off imo.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2019, 09:12:37 AM »
Gosh, this sounds too much like English Lit classes, I hate analysing books, it completely ruins my enjoyment, hehe
I'll pass, thanks.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Yora

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2019, 09:38:42 AM »
Tags seem like useful system. Though by now I've started to think that books with the tags I'd be interested in simply don't exist.
We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on a big tower of other dwarves.

Beneath the Leaves of Kaendor

Offline bdcharles

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2019, 10:12:18 AM »
I go with the vibe and feel. So for example, I might recommend Gormenghast for someone who likes Tolkien, or RJ Barker for someone that enjoyed Robin Hobb's Liveship trilogy, or China Mieville for someone that reads Neil Gaiman, or Ben Aaronson, or Clive Barker. Keepin' it social rather than algorithmic :)
Find me on twitter @jd_books

Offline Peat

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2019, 07:19:32 PM »
I go with the vibe and feel. So for example, I might recommend Gormenghast for someone who likes Tolkien, or RJ Barker for someone that enjoyed Robin Hobb's Liveship trilogy, or China Mieville for someone that reads Neil Gaiman, or Ben Aaronson, or Clive Barker. Keepin' it social rather than algorithmic :)

Man those recs would have gone really badly for me :P

The most important rule of recs should be to figure out what the other person actually wants.

Offline Bender

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2019, 08:06:37 PM »
We discussed something similar in trigger warnings thread sometime ago.

Problem with tags is that it's not standardized. And even in a standard tag like "coming of age" we age everything from WoT to Broken Empire to Harry Potter. Even GoT will qualify. All completely different books. I don't think this is sufficient for a proper recommendation.

And honestly I've never searched a book by tags. Which site you use for this?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 08:09:31 PM by Bender »
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2019, 09:25:50 PM »
just look at @JMack a hunk of a man.

Mrs. JMack thinks so.  8)
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2019, 01:05:20 AM »
I would say that Shannara is like Wheel of Time
In parts I agree, except that Wheel of Time is like Shannara, because it came first.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com